Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
The bullies of Urumqi

The extraordinary ways in which China humiliates Muslims

Bans on “abnormal” beards and even the name “Muhammad”

CHINESE officials describe the far western province of Xinjiang as a “core area” in the vast swathe of territory covered by the country’s grandiose “Belt and Road Initiative” to boost economic ties with Central Asia and regions beyond. They hope that wealth generated by the scheme will help to make Xinjiang more stable—for years it has been plagued by separatist violence which China says is being fed by global jihadism. But the authorities are not waiting. In recent months they have intensified their efforts to stifle the Islamic identity of Xinjiang’s ethnic Uighurs, fearful that any public display of their religious belief could morph into militancy.

Xinjiang’s 10m Uighurs (nearly half of its population) have long been used to heavy-handed curbs: a ban on unauthorised pilgrimages to Mecca, orders to students not to fast during Ramadan, tough restrictions on Islamic garb (women with face-covering veils are sometimes not allowed on buses), no entry to many mosques for people under 18, and so on.

But since he took over last August as Xinjiang’s Communist Party chief, Chen Quanguo has launched even harsher measures—pleased, apparently, by his crushing of dissent in Tibet where he previously served as leader. As in Tibet, many Xinjiang residents have been told to hand their passports to police and seek permission to travel abroad. In one part of Xinjiang all vehicles have been ordered to install satellite tracking-devices. There have been several shows of what officials call “thunderous power”, involving thousands of paramilitary troops parading through streets.

Last month, new rules came into effect that banned “abnormal” beards (such as the one worn by the man pictured in front of the main mosque in Kashgar in south-western Xinjiang). They also called on transport workers to report women wearing face veils or full-body coverings to the police, and prohibited “naming of children to exaggerate religious fervour”. A leaked list of banned names includes Muhammad, Mecca and Saddam. Parents may not be able to obtain vital household-registration papers for children with unapproved names, meaning they could be denied free schooling and health care.

Residents have also been asked to spy on each other. In Urumqi, the region’s capital, locals can report security threats via a new mobile app. People living in Altay in northern Xinjiang have been promised rewards of up to 5m yuan ($720,000) for tip-offs that help capture militants—over 200 times the local income per person.

Across Xinjiang residents have been asked to inform the authorities of any religious activities, including weddings and circumcisions. The government is also testing its own people’s loyalty. In March an official in Hotan in southern Xinjiang was demoted for “timidity” in “fighting against religious extremism” because he chose not to smoke in front of a group of mullahs.

Uighurs have been blamed for several recent attacks in Xinjiang. In one of them in February, in the southern prefecture of Hotan, three knife-wielding men killed five people and injured several others before being shot dead by police (local reports suggested the violence occurred after a Uighur family was punished for holding a prayer session at home). Officials may be congratulating themselves on the success of their tactics; reported large-scale attacks by Uighurs inside and outside Xinjiang have abated in the past 18 months. Yet as in Tibet, intrusive surveillance and curbs on cultural expression have fuelled people’s desperation. “A community is like a fruit,” says a Uighur driver from Kashgar. “Squash it too hard and it will burst.”

http://www.economist.com/news/china...-which-china-humiliates?fsrc=scn/tw/te/rfd/pe

@Zibago @Zarvan @save_ghenda @Icarus @waz

Apparently if give a name to your Muhammad, he will be denied his right to free schooling and healthcare. And this is an article from the Economist, so we can stop this pretense now that this 'crackdown' is merely a western propaganda and discuss the issue!

Last edited:
1. Chinese LOVE their alcohol and pork. Will Pakistan allow them to consume both freely, even during Ramadan?
I think they can have it but not during Ramadan at least.
2. IF the Chinese object to the presence of any mosque in the vicinity of where they are staying, will Pakistan oblige?
No why should they object it anyway they will be guests in our country and i don't they will have any problem with mosques i have seen Chinese don't interfere in other's matters as long as you don't interfere in theirs so yea i don't think they will have a problem with it.

Btw someone else will reply to it in a much better words than me
@Zibago @django @Hell hound @Arsalan

I have one question for Pakistanis here, and its asked with a very genuine intent:

With CPEC coming on stream, there will be lots of Chinese living in Pakistan including PLA soldiers. Knowing the Chinese mindset, they will prefer to eventually set up their exclusive conclaves specially in the construction areas and industrial areas. What would be Pakistan's approach to the following:
1. Chinese LOVE their alcohol and pork. Will Pakistan allow them to consume both freely, even during Ramadan?
2. IF the Chinese object to the presence of any mosque in the vicinity of where they are staying, will Pakistan oblige?

If you think my questions are unfounded, just look up the experience of Chinese in some African states.

thanks in advance.
Those who are not professing Islam as their religion are free to eat or drink whatever they want provided they adhere to some rules/laws/norms whatever you want to say. Yes Chinese, Americans or Indians for that matter, can consume pork and alcohol but doing so in public is out of question. YES they can consume freely in private or in close quarters.

If anyone objects to the presence of mosques and has legal reasons for doing so (e.g loud speaker usage, illegal construction, obstruction of pathway etc etc) yes our Constitution has outlined steps to remedy this situation. Otherwise, if anyone is offended by Muslim Call to Prayers, than he/she/they will have to suck it up.

Those who are not professing Islam as their religion are free to eat or drink whatever they want provided they adhere to some rules/laws/norms whatever you want to say. Yes Chinese, Americans or Indians for that matter, can consume pork and alcohol but doing so in public is out of question. YES they can consume freely in private or in close quarters.

If anyone objects to the presence of mosques and has legal reasons for doing so (e.g loud speaker usage, illegal construction, obstruction of pathway etc etc) yes our Constitution has outlined steps to remedy this situation. Otherwise, if anyone is offended by Muslim Call to Prayers, than he/she/they will have to suck it up.

very interesting. Thank you for your reply.

Pakistanis are in for some interesting times ahead, because Chinese, as a race, do not believe in having to suck it up. Also, given the fact that they will control the purse strings, which by extension would mean that they will control the politicians and the law enforcement agencies, there may be situations of social unrest. I have spent a fair amount of time in Pakistan as part of my field research for my doctoral thesis and one aspect that always stood out was that Pakistanis in general are very emotional and very proud people. They are very generous as a host and will go out of their way to make their guests comfortable (I have developed some lovely friendships in Pakistan during the time I was there and they endure to date), but they do not take kindly to outsiders transgressing on their customs and beliefs.

The Chinese mindset is a bit different since they are a fairly homogenous society.

I have one question for Pakistanis here, and its asked with a very genuine intent:

With CPEC coming on stream, there will be lots of Chinese living in Pakistan including PLA soldiers. Knowing the Chinese mindset, they will prefer to eventually set up their exclusive conclaves specially in the construction areas and industrial areas. What would be Pakistan's approach to the following:

If you think my questions are unfounded, just look up the experience of Chinese in some African states.

thanks in advance.

Chinese manpower other then helping and training is not welcome, Pakistan is poor country with huge unemployment, if Pakistan somehow overcome unemployment to moderate level then Chinese are welcome to setup their own industrial cities on Pakistani soil, but they have to follow the law.

As for Pork and Alcohol, it was never a big issue in Pakistan. non Muslim can wear, eat whatever they want, of course as a local we would desire that they value local culture. for example not eat in public places during Ramdhan etc.

very interesting. Thank you for your reply.

Pakistanis are in for some interesting times ahead, because Chinese, as a race, do not believe in having to suck it up. Also, given the fact that they will control the purse strings, which by extension would mean that they will control the politicians and the law enforcement agencies, there may be situations of social unrest. I have spent a fair amount of time in Pakistan as part of my field research for my doctoral thesis and one aspect that always stood out was that Pakistanis in general are very emotional and very proud people. They are very generous as a host and will go out of their way to make their guests comfortable (I have developed some lovely friendships in Pakistan during the time I was there and they endure to date), but they do not take kindly to outsiders transgressing on their customs and beliefs.

The Chinese mindset is a bit different since they are a fairly homogenous society.

Thank you for this valuable insight. It would be interesting to watch indeed. I think, as a nation, this CPEC will provide a lot of valuable experiences for both Pakistanis and Chinese to evolve (and rise as great nations have done).

May I inquire what was your Doctoral thesis about?

The bullies of Urumqi

CHINESE officials describe the far western province of Xinjiang as a “core area” in the vast swathe of territory covered by the country’s grandiose “Belt and Road Initiative” to boost economic ties with Central Asia and regions beyond. They hope that wealth generated by the scheme will help to make Xinjiang more stable—for years it has been plagued by separatist violence which China says is being fed by global jihadism. But the authorities are not waiting. In recent months they have intensified their efforts to stifle the Islamic identity of Xinjiang’s ethnic Uighurs, fearful that any public display of their religious belief could morph into militancy.

Xinjiang’s 10m Uighurs (nearly half of its population) have long been used to heavy-handed curbs: a ban on unauthorised pilgrimages to Mecca, orders to students not to fast during Ramadan, tough restrictions on Islamic garb (women with face-covering veils are sometimes not allowed on buses), no entry to many mosques for people under 18, and so on.

But since he took over last August as Xinjiang’s Communist Party chief, Chen Quanguo has launched even harsher measures—pleased, apparently, by his crushing of dissent in Tibet where he previously served as leader. As in Tibet, many Xinjiang residents have been told to hand their passports to police and seek permission to travel abroad. In one part of Xinjiang all vehicles have been ordered to install satellite tracking-devices. There have been several shows of what officials call “thunderous power”, involving thousands of paramilitary troops parading through streets.

Last month, new rules came into effect that banned “abnormal” beards (such as the one worn by the man pictured in front of the main mosque in Kashgar in south-western Xinjiang). They also called on transport workers to report women wearing face veils or full-body coverings to the police, and prohibited “naming of children to exaggerate religious fervour”. A leaked list of banned names includes Muhammad, Mecca and Saddam. Parents may not be able to obtain vital household-registration papers for children with unapproved names, meaning they could be denied free schooling and health care.

Residents have also been asked to spy on each other. In Urumqi, the region’s capital, locals can report security threats via a new mobile app. People living in Altay in northern Xinjiang have been promised rewards of up to 5m yuan ($720,000) for tip-offs that help capture militants—over 200 times the local income per person.

Across Xinjiang residents have been asked to inform the authorities of any religious activities, including weddings and circumcisions. The government is also testing its own people’s loyalty. In March an official in Hotan in southern Xinjiang was demoted for “timidity” in “fighting against religious extremism” because he chose not to smoke in front of a group of mullahs.

Uighurs have been blamed for several recent attacks in Xinjiang. In one of them in February, in the southern prefecture of Hotan, three knife-wielding men killed five people and injured several others before being shot dead by police (local reports suggested the violence occurred after a Uighur family was punished for holding a prayer session at home). Officials may be congratulating themselves on the success of their tactics; reported large-scale attacks by Uighurs inside and outside Xinjiang have abated in the past 18 months. Yet as in Tibet, intrusive surveillance and curbs on cultural expression have fuelled people’s desperation. “A community is like a fruit,” says a Uighur driver from Kashgar. “Squash it too hard and it will burst.”

http://www.economist.com/news/china...-which-china-humiliates?fsrc=scn/tw/te/rfd/pe

Apparently if give a name to your Muhammad, he will be denied his right to free schooling and healthcare. And this is an article from the Economist, so we can stop this pretense now that this 'crackdown' is merely a western propaganda and discuss the issue!

Economist is fake news and has been compromised ;)

thanks in advance.
1 - Chinese or other foreigners can get alcohol its not something unusual. If they want pork they can bring it with themselves.
2 - Possibility of Chinese residence in such areas will be close to impossible, however there are many Chinese living in Islamabad and Lahore in housing colonies with Mosques around. I haven't heard any concern so far.

The best pork i had was in germany and china.
China especially has pork as its main food.
Maybe chinese can introduce pig farming in pakistan as part of CPEC.
Would be a good employment generator.
I'm afraid you're kinda outdated of what is happening in China regarding our growing appetite of "BEEF"
Special thanks your PM Modi pushing us to import more "BEEF" from the biggest "EXPORTER of BEEF"
But i thought Indians believed in "COW" being their mother and now you're like killing............exported them for money:what::undecided:
"In the span of five years, China became the world's second largest beef importer… Chinese beef imports are forecast to expand an additional 15 percent in 2017" — Foreign Agricultural Service/USDA Office of Global Analysis, October 2016
gJ8StlX.jpg

K7sGVbl.jpg

lrvisF8.jpg

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/18237/how-china-s-growing-appetite-for-meat-affects-us-all

Behavioural Economics. I picked South Asia as my area of interest, which required me to spend extensive amount of time doing field research. I travelled to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Bhutan (oh what a heavenly place!) during those two years.
Thank you.
BE is an exciting area.
Hope your experiences provided you with new insights. Best of luck.

thanks in advance.
More BS from a well known 3th class Indian with Singapore flags

The bullies of Urumqi

It's an excellent defensive strategies package.

The bullies of Urumqi

That is not humiliating people.

Only their beliefs.

Muslims have been keeping Chinese names for centuries, why this sudden fascination for Arabic/Persian ones?

It's an excellent defensive strategies package.

Yes banning the name Muhammad, who the Muslims believe to be the prophet of God, is an excellent defensive strategy!

northern bharat similar in thoughts? wtf are you blabbering bharati? first describe north india? for us Pakistan except Punjabis no one in bharat is similar to us.

What about the 20 Million Muhajirs. Why is the similarity of Punjabis always highlighted, but no one even mentions the Muhajirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom