What's new

The Drone That Killed My Grandson

Reaction score
@Awesome @Aeronaut @nuclearpak

This op-ed on drones killing a 16 year old US citizen makes good points about the need for due process and clarification about the use of drones:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/opinion/the-drone-that-killed-my-grandson.html?_r=0

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
The Drone That Killed My Grandson
By NASSER al-AWLAKI
Published: July 17, 2013

SANA, Yemen — I LEARNED that my 16-year-old grandson, Abdulrahman — a United States citizen — had been killed by an American drone strike from news reports the morning after he died.

The missile killed him, his teenage cousin and at least five other civilians on Oct. 14, 2011, while the boys were eating dinner at an open-air restaurant in southern Yemen.

I visited the site later, once I was able to bear the pain of seeing where he sat in his final moments. Local residents told me his body was blown to pieces. They showed me the grave where they buried his remains. I stood over it, asking why my grandchild was dead.

Nearly two years later, I still have no answers. The United States government has refused to explain why Abdulrahman was killed. It was not until May of this year that the Obama administration, in a supposed effort to be more transparent, publicly acknowledged what the world already knew — that it was responsible for his death.

The attorney general, Eric H. Holder Jr., said only that Abdulrahman was not “specifically targeted,” raising more questions than he answered.

My grandson was killed by his own government. The Obama administration must answer for its actions and be held accountable. On Friday, I will petition a federal court in Washington to require the government to do just that.

Abdulrahman was born in Denver. He lived in America until he was 7, then came to live with me in Yemen. He was a typical teenager — he watched “The Simpsons,” listened to Snoop Dogg, read “Harry Potter” and had a Facebook page with many friends. He had a mop of curly hair, glasses like me and a wide, goofy smile.

In 2010, the Obama administration put Abdulrahman’s father, my son Anwar, on C.I.A. and Pentagon “kill lists” of suspected terrorists targeted for death. A drone took his life on Sept. 30, 2011.

The government repeatedly made accusations of terrorism against Anwar — who was also an American citizen — but never charged him with a crime. No court ever reviewed the government’s claims nor was any evidence of criminal wrongdoing ever presented to a court. He did not deserve to be deprived of his constitutional rights as an American citizen and killed.

Early one morning in September 2011, Abdulrahman set out from our home in Sana by himself. He went to look for his father, whom he hadn’t seen for years. He left a note for his mother explaining that he missed his father and wanted to find him, and asking her to forgive him for leaving without permission.

A couple of days after Abdulrahman left, we were relieved to receive word that he was safe and with cousins in southern Yemen, where our family is from. Days later, his father was targeted and killed by American drones in a northern province, hundreds of miles away. After Anwar died, Abdulrahman called us and said he was going to return home.

That was the last time I heard his voice. He was killed just two weeks after his father.

A country that believes it does not even need to answer for killing its own is not the America I once knew. From 1966 to 1977, I fulfilled a childhood dream and studied in the United States as a Fulbright scholar, earning my doctorate and then working as a researcher and assistant professor at universities in New Mexico, Nebraska and Minnesota.

I have fond memories of those years. When I first came to the United States as a student, my host family took me camping by the ocean and on road trips to places like Yosemite, Disneyland and New York — and it was wonderful.

After returning to Yemen, I used my American education and skills to help my country, serving as Yemen’s minister of agriculture and fisheries and establishing one of the country’s leading institutions of higher learning, Ibb University. Abdulrahman used to tell me he wanted to follow in my footsteps and go back to America to study. I can’t bear to think of those conversations now.

After Anwar was put on the government’s list, but before he was killed, the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights represented me in a lawsuit challenging the government’s claim that it could kill anyone it deemed an enemy of the state.

The court dismissed the case, saying that I did not have standing to sue on my son’s behalf and that the government’s targeted killing program was outside the court’s jurisdiction anyway.

After the deaths of Abdulrahman and Anwar, I filed another lawsuit, seeking answers and accountability. The government has argued once again that its targeted killing program is beyond the reach of the courts. I find it hard to believe that this can be legal in a constitutional democracy based on a system of checks and balances.

The government has killed a 16-year-old American boy. Shouldn’t it at least have to explain why?

Nasser al-Awlaki, the founder of Ibb University and former president of Sana University, served as Yemen’s minister of agriculture and fisheries from 1988 to 1990.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Al Qaeda official killed in Yemen - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The head of the media department of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has been killed in a trio of US air strikes on militant outposts in Yemen, and gunmen retaliated by blowing up a gas export pipeline.

The death of Ibrahim al-Banna, an Egyptian described by Yemeni officials as high on their wanted list, is a fresh blow to the Islamist group regarded by Washington as the most serious threat to the United States, following the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki last month.

But the destruction of France's Total gas pipeline is expected to deal a severe blow to the Yemeni economy, already reeling from months of protests demanding president Ali Abdullah Saleh step down.

"Three strikes, apparently American, which were launched against positions held by Al Qaeda militants in Azzan, one of the group's bastions, killed seven of them, including the Egyptian, [Al Qaeda media chief] Ibrahim al-Banna," a local official said.

One of the strikes hit a mosque near the apparent primary target of the strike, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The Yemeni defence ministry said six other militants died in the air raids late on Friday (local time), including the oldest son and a cousin of Awlaki, a US-born cleric.

But it insisted the strikes - in a militant stronghold east of the city of Aden - were carried out by its own forces.

Yemen routinely denies that the US carries out offensive operations on its territory, insisting that it plays a purely logistic and intelligence role in support of Yemen's own counter-terror operations.

The ministry confirmed al-Banna was among seven suspected Al Qaeda militants killed, adding that he was wanted "internationally" for "planning attacks both inside and outside Yemen."

Al-Banna was "in charge of the media arm of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula" and was one of the group's "most dangerous operatives," it added.

Witnesses said militants were seen removing several bodies and an unknown number of injured people from the scene after the raid early on Saturday.

Last month, a US drone killed Awlaki, identified by US intelligence as "chief of external operations" for Al Qaeda's Yemen branch and a Web-savvy propagandist for the Islamist cause.

Relatives of Awlaki said the cleric's son and cousin were due to be buried at the site of the attack.

Islamist militants linked to Al Qaeda trying to establish a foothold in Yemen captured large swathes of southern Abyan province, including the provincial capital Zinjibar, earlier this year.

The Yemeni army last month drove the militants out of Zinjibar, which lies east of a strategic shipping strait through which some 3 million barrels of oil pass daily.

Very unfortunate incident if true... May his soul rest in peace

A US citizen's killing is the best chance to seek clarifications on the drone strikes, since they involve the killing of a US citizen by the US government.

The op-ed has had some effect, at least:

Ex-Pentagon official has 'heavy heart' over US teen's inadvertent killing by drone - Investigations

Ex-Pentagon official has 'heavy heart' over US teen's inadvertent killing by drone

By Michael Isikoff
National Investigative Correspondent, NBC News

The former top lawyer for the Pentagon said Thursday that any official involved in counterterrorism should have a “heavy heart” after reading a grandfather’s moving account of the inadvertent killing of his grandson in a U.S. drone strike.

Jeh Johnson, who served as general counsel of the Defense Department until last year, reacted strongly to a New York Times op-ed published Thursday about the slaying of 16-year-old Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, an American citizen. In the op-ed, the boy’s grandfather, Nasser al-Awlaki, described him as a “typical teenager” who watched "The Simpsons," listened to Snoop Dogg, read Harry Potter and was on his way to find his father when he was killed by a U.S. drone strike.

Speaking on a panel at the Aspen Security Forum, an annual gathering on national security issues, Johnson described his reaction to the piece.

“The point I want to make is that for any responsible official of our government involved in counterterrorism, and there are number of you in this room, you read an op-ed like that and you get a pit in your stomach, and you read it with a heavy heart,” he said. “And if you don't, you should not be involved in these decisions."

The op-ed was the subject of discussion among those attending the conference, but Johnson, who oversaw legal approvals for military drone strikes at the time of the younger Al-Awlaki’s death, was the highest ranking official to speak out on the issue.

Attorney General Eric Holder, in a letter to Congress last May, acknowledged that a drone strike had inadvertently killed the younger Awlaki – one of four Americans slain in drone attacks. The only one of the four who was specifically targeted was the boy’s father, Anwar Al-Awlaki, according to Holder’s letter.

Holder identified the other two American victims as Samir Khan, who ran al Qaeda’s web-based propaganda magazine Inspire, and Jude Kenan Mohammed of Raleigh, N.C., who reportedly was killed in Pakistan in 2011.

In the op-ed, Nasser Al-Awlaki said he planned to petition a federal court to hold U.S. officials responsible for the drone strike.

“My grandson was killed by his own government,” he wrote. “The Obama administration must answer for its actions and be hold accountable.” (The Justice Department has previously asserted that the families of victims of drone strikes don’t have standing to sue in the U.S. courts and Johnson did not address that issue in his remarks. A Justice spokesman did not respond to a request for comment. )

Another speaker on the same panel, ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero, praised ex-National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, saying that “he did this country a service” by disclosing secret NSA surveillance — including the collection of millions of Americans phone records. That has given his group and others legal standing to challenge constitutionality of those programs, he said, adding, “Guess what? … I think our country is better as a result of the revelations of Mr. Snowden.”

That drew a strong reaction from other panelists, including ex- Rep. Jane Harman, who formerly served as top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. She called Snowden “totally self-centered and narcissistic” and said his disclosures had done damage to national security. “It's not just the information about these (NSA) programs, much of which was in the public domain: It’s a whole bunch of other stuff which compromises ongoing investigations, which I think is way off.”

Back
Top Bottom