Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Thar coal priority source of power: Gilani

Monday, 12 Jul, 2010

Thar-coal-reserves-608.jpg

Gilani directed all the concerned federal and provincial agencies to extend full required support for Thar coal projects and ensure timely availability of infrastructure at the site.

KARACHI: Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani has declared Thar coal as the priority source for power generation and of national importance.

Chairing a special meeting of the Sindh Cabinet, wherein he was updated on Thar coal projects at the Chief Minister House here on Monday, the Prime Minister said that Thar was the future of Pakistan.

Sindh Governor Dr. Ishratul Ibad Khan, chief minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah, federal ministers Rehman Malik, Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, Syed Naveed Qamar and members’ sindh cabinet were also present on the occasion.

He directed all the concerned federal and provincial agencies to extend full required support for Thar coal projects and ensure timely availability of infrastructure at the site.

He directed the provincial government to have consultation with the federal finance minister with regards to allocation of funds in the current PSDP and also regarding project financing for the Sindh Government's Joint Venture Project.

Earlier, Secretary Coal and Energy Department and Managing Director Thar Coal and Energy Board (TCEB), Ajaz Ali Khan gave a briefing on Thar coal project.

The vision of Thar Coal and Energy Board (TCEB) was shared with the Cabinet which is to generate at least 10,000 megawatts of power from Thar coal by 2020, which will save $ 79 billion of foreign exchange on fuel replacement cost and would give benefit of Rs8 trillion to the national economy on account of reduced power generation cost.

MD TCEB along with SECMC Khalid Mansoor gave a detailed presentation to the Prime Minister and the Cabinet with regard to ongoing progress on Sindh-Engro JV Project and informed the participants that this is a flagship project of Sindh Government, and its design feasibility study will be completed next month.

It has entered a critical phase where availability of infrastructure has to match the project time-lines. Any delay will make project financing availability difficult. The Prime Minister assured his full support and appreciated the efforts of the Government of Sindh.

He must be grilled along with world bank, who denied to finance hydal projects but approved more billions of loan for infrastructure development.

when we get to the point that use of coal is inevitable, we should build desalination plants along the sea in Balauchistan.
Electricity is by product, while clean water will be availabel to Balauchi people.
Gilani party is desperately trying to pocket some aid before next elections.

btw.. is this picture from thar? or another file phot?

btw.. is this picture from thar? or another file phot?

Dawn news always use the same picture for Thar coal projects and i don't think there is any such infrastructure available in thar as of yet. I could remember the country name where this picture is taken. I saw this picture for the first time probably many years ago.

Why would it take 10 years to mine Thar ????

If BP can dig offshore 1500 feet under water we can't dig or mine a dame mountain on land ... with all the man power and machinery ??? In 20-40 days

10 Years ??? It shoudl be 3 years max get it done.... :pakistan:

If we had grant of 200 million from world bank you can but like 50,00 trucks to mine the coal or 20,00 cranes with that , hire 1,000,000 workers in mines

What is stopping you Mr Gilani ?

10 year wt heck man talk about nonesense

Why would it take 10 years to mine Thar ????

If BP can dig offshore 1500 feet under water we can't dig or mine a dame mountain on land ... with all the man power and machinery ??? In 20-40 days

10 Years ??? It shoudl be 3 years max get it done.... :pakistan:

If we had grant of 200 million from world bank you can but like 50,00 trucks to mine the coal or 20,00 cranes with that , hire 1,000,000 workers in mines

What is stopping you Mr Gilani ?

10 year wt heck man talk about nonesense
maybe becoze of poor quality that it contains higher levels of moisture & ash and poor infrastructure that the project is getting delayed,10 yrs is indeed a long period for such projects which produces lots of pollution in extraction & processing & even electric generation, don't know whatz going to happen when the whole world will be more ganged up against producing green house gases.

I am hearing news every other day for new project

- New nuclear plant from china
- Gas pipeline from Iran
- Wind farm
- New dam
- etc

Is this thar coal reserve is in pakistan or in india too we have those coal reserve? As i know only oil exploration has taken in indian side of thar desert.

Is there any oil exploration has taken place in Pakistan side thar?

maybe becoze of poor quality that it contains higher levels of moisture & ash and poor infrastructure that the project is getting delayed,10 yrs is indeed a long period for such projects which produces lots of pollution in extraction & processing & even electric generation, don't know whatz going to happen when the whole world will be more ganged up against producing green house gases.

:what:
As far as I know, we have one of the best quality coal present in Thar..

Link:::
Thar coal having an estimated reserves of 184.6 billion tonnes is much superior in quality due to low sulphur content and higher heating value.

:what:As far as I know, we have one of the best quality coal present in Thar..

The high moisture content making direct coal firing TPS unfeasible was noted by the very first geological surveys and by the firm which was working on the feasibility study.

Huge oil reserves found in the Indian side of Thar. So probably, oil is just waiting to be discovered on the other side as well!
:tup:

Last edited:
The high moisture content making direct coal firing TPS unfeasible was noted by the very first geological surveys and by the firm which was working on the feasibility study.

but point to note is, despite the fact of the high moisture in coal, it is still cheaper than burning expensive oil or Natural gas :rolleyes: it was not feasible to use thar coal couple of years ago when the price of oil was below 40 dollars. Now its around 75 and always dying to rise once again to 100+ which makes it feasibe and cost effective alternative of expensive oil

(Here i am talking about coal-gasification plants as most of the plants in thar are meant to be converted into coal-gasification before generating electricity or using for other domestic purposes)

Last edited:
something like this....
one should explore options like this
www_kbr.com/Technologies/Coal-Gasification/
replace "_" with "." :)

I cant say about The Thar but pakistan state of baluchistan has definitely a huge amount of oil reserves which i dont know why they are still undiscovered..
My uncle is an engineer in Irani oil company and he worked for Pso pakistan..
and he told me about that.....
The issue with Iran is also because of some oil reserves..
Liaquat ali Khan was assassinated due to the fact that he dont want to go for that reserves because all that reserves are located in irani border but the geographical land of pak and Iran is liked that \ (high to low) so all oil reserves can flow to Pakistan very easily....
If Pakistan goes for it and then it will absorbs all Iran's oil under the sea and land....

Please care to add reference to the said feasibility?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom