Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
chinese_t_1488980657.jpg

Chinese Type 041 Yuan Class Submarine
- A +
Thailand’s navy is currently coordinating process for a government-to-government purchase of three Chinese-built Yuan-class submarines, Thailand's Deputy Premier Prawit Wongsuwan said.

Prawit, who is concurrently the defense minister, declined to tell how soon the coordinating process for the submarines purchase deal will be completed but confirmed that a regular budget for the navy to procure the first of the three Yuan-class S26T subs within this year has already been earmarked and approved for current fiscal year, Xinhua reported Tuesday.

His comments followed speculation that the issue would have been brought up during Tuesday's cabinet meeting.

The budget for the purchase of the first Yuan-class sub had already been approved by the Thai government and the National Legislative Assembly, according to the deputy premier.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/18...class_Subs_Progressing__Minister#.WMELLvmGO00

Type 041? I thought they were getting S26 export sub, essentially a larger S20? Who can enlighten me on this?.

So, does this mean S26T is export version of 041?
I think that's what analysts are suggesting nowadays:

Thailand is largely believed to be acquiring the S26T (Thailand) diesel-electric submarine (SSK), a modified export version of the Yuan-class (Type 041) platform from China. Link (Jane's).

Back
Top Bottom