What's new

Thai Navy to procure two medium-sized frigates

Nishan_101

BANNED
Reaction score
RTN_ships.jpg

he Thai Government's Yingluck Cabinet has granted approval to use $1bn for acquiring two medium-sized frigates over a ten-year period, starting from the current fiscal year, to boost the country's naval capabilities.
The new ships will replace Thailand's US-built Knox-class frigates, HTMS Phutthayodfa Chulalok and HTMS Phutthalertla Napalai, reports Xinhua News Agency.
Thai Navy chief admiral Surasak Rounroengrom said that the navy was still seeking an ad-hoc procurement committee's studies and suggestions regarding the procurement of the two ships.
Options the navy is considering are the China-built 4,000t Type 054A Jiangkai II frigates, worth $255m each, and the German-designed 3,700t Bremen-class F122 frigates, according to an unidentified high-ranking navy officer.
"The new ships will replace Thailand's US-built Knox-class frigates, HTMS Phutthayodfa Chulalok and HTMS Phutthalertla Napalai."
Thailand is also looking at options for an entirely new or second-hand frigate with a displacement capacity of approximately 4,000t, based on preferences specified by commanding admirals.
With plans to use the ships for conducting patrols territorial waters in the Gulf of Thailand and Andaman Sea, the frigates are also expected to support simultaneous anti-aircraft, anti-surface ship and anti-submarine naval missions.
Weapon systems such as China's C-802A surface-to-surface missiles and US-built Harpoon surface-to-surface missiles are also being considered to arm the new frigates.
Four second-hand Type 053T Jianghu frigates are currently operational with the Thai Navy. The vessels have a displacement capacity of 400t, speed of 32k and a range of 4,000nm.
HTMS Phutthayodfa Chulalok and HTMS Phutthalertla Napalai are due for decommissioning in 2015.
2012082001ax-1.jpg

Type%252026.jpg

Talwar Class will be far better bang for the buck

16 Klub-N
24 Shitl SAM
2*AK 630

My bad It's Grigorovich Class which can be made in Thailand.

China most probably

No. I guess it is more to do with just modernizing their navy. Asian countries usually have a tradition of maintaining very small or limited Navies throughout their modern histories, focusing more on ground and aerial forces.

Only after globalizing and seeing rest of the world having Navies as the most important arm, Asian countries are realizing this including us and the commies.

Talwar Class will be far better bang for the buck

16 Klub-N
24 Shitl SAM
2*AK 630

Talwar class are designed for our specific needs. Thai Navy has to essentially guard its southern troubled coastline while we have the job of ensuring our oceanic waters aren't taken by someone. Big difference.

Let's not taunt them. Our Army and Air Force are worse than their acquisition program.

I heard of MRCA when I was finishing studying, now I am getting married in two months and still not a single MRCA in IAF.

Don't worry. It should hopefully be in by the time you become a father. You can show your kid and say, "Dekho bachey, iske baare mein I used to fight online with people :P"

Back
Top Bottom