What's new

Tata-Boeing aerospace unit's foundation laid

HYDERABAD: The foundation stone of a manufacturing facility being built by Tata Boeing Aerospace Limited (TBAL), a joint venture of Boeing and Tata Advanced Systems, was laid at the Aerospace Special Economic Zone (ASEZ) at Adibatla on the city’s outskirts on Saturday.

Boeing’s multi-role combat AH-64 Apache helicopter fuselages and other aerostructures will be co-produced at the facility. Apart from the production of the main body of the combat helicopters, integrated systems in aerospace will also be made here.

Boeing, the world’s largest aerospace company, and Tata group, India’s leading industrial group, have established a partnership to manufacture aerostructures for Boeing’s commercial and military aircraft. The announcement of a joint venture to manufacture aerostructures and collaboration on integrated systems development opportunities was made in November last year.

The production facility here will eventually be the sole producer of AH-64 fuselages globally. The Apache has been flown or selected for acquisition by the United States and 15 other nations, including India.

Union defence minister Manohar Parrikar, who was the chief guest at the ground-breaking ceremony, appreciated Boeing for keeping its word given to him on locating the facility in India.

State industries minister KT Rama Rao, who was the guest of honour, said the state emerged as a leading hub in defence research, missile technology and space technology. “The state government will come out with an aerospace and defence policy. We are also working on establishing an aeroskills academy in Hyderabad,” Rama Rao said.

Tata Advanced Systems Ltd chairman S Ramadorai, said theTata-Boeing partnership was the latest example of growing collaboration between India and the United States of America.

State transport minister P Mahender Reddy, Boeing India president Pratyush Kumar, Boeing’s Vertical Lift vice-president Dave Koopersmith, Tata Advanced Systems CEO and managing director Sukaran Singh, and others were present at the programme.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...foundation-laid/2016/06/19/article3489521.ece

18-h-tata15.jpg

tata-1466256819.jpg

To produce:

zjzO4bM.jpg
Good god, did they do it so fast from digging to building fuselage instantly.:P
Will wait and watch how tatas go from here. They are already building structures for chinook. More than building , I want them to design from ground up. Thats where the real difficulty is, mastering systems end to end.

Tatas were one of the few Indian automotive companies which designed a car from ground up. Even though it was not a smashing hit, but they certainly have the gumption to carry forward.

Last edited:
Will wait and watch how tatas go from here. They were already building structures for chinook. More than building , I want them to design from ground up. Thats where the real difficulty is, mastering systems end to end.

Tatas were one of the few Indian automotive companies which designed a car from ground up. Even though it was not a smashing hit, but they certainly have the gumption to carry forward.
This is just baby steps for Tata, they aren't really gaining much in terms of know how from any such tie ups but they are certainly getting a toehold in the sector and will be opening up a decent revenue stream that I hope they channel into in-house R&D. Comparing it to the TATA experience in the automotive sector, if I'm not wrong they started out with a tie up with Mercedes/Daimler (for their commercial vehicles at least) but only very recently have they started to produce truly world class products as a result of in-house development. It is a very long road TATA has to walk but if anyone can do it I'm sure they can, they have the correct drive, ambition and crucially DEEP pockets to become a aerospace player in their own right.

but only very recently have they started to produce truly world class products as a result of in-house development. It is a very long road TATA has to walk but if anyone can do it I'm sure they can, they have the correct drive, ambition and crucially DEEP pockets to become a aerospace player in their own right.
True, some of the big indian companies are risk averse and dont have confidence in themselves. It takes a lot of guts to venture into unknown area of R&D and become pioneers. Its not as if western companies become leaders overnight. They have to foster that spirit of innovation and research continously. Give that Indian market is growing big there is no reason to hold back.

Some times I feel Indian companies are held back by historical baggage of not to fail and afraid to experiment. Countries like korea which started with nothing have sped past India. Samsung gives a fight to apple, but infosys does not fight with IBM.

Will wait and watch how tatas go from here. They are already building structures for chinook. More than building , I want them to design from ground up. Thats where the real difficulty is, mastering systems end to end.

Chinook modules are being by Dynamic Tech, another private firm.

685_dyn-pix-chin-horiz-pls-credit-dynamatic.jpg

I will give TATA an A so far. Gaining several contracts with established OEMs is no small feat, especially when it's aerospace division isnt even 10 years old. Yet, this plant will eventually be only producer of Apache fuselage, congrats on them!

They will soon graduate to full on integration and testing with C295s. And I am sure TATA will work with DRDO's upcoming coastal sentry program based on the C295s, adding another notch.

Full on design, prototyping, certification, and production will take some time, but they're taking the right steps toward it. They're building their human resource gradually for that eventual goal.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom