What's new

Taiwan’s defence minister said that F-16v fighter can rival the J-20

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

F-16V Photo: Lockheed Martin/Randy Crites

The debut of the PLA’s J-20 stealth fighter at the Zhuhai Air Show has attracted attention from Taiwan, among others. Feng Shih-kuan, head of Taiwan’s local defense authority, said he is confident that Taiwan’s F-16v fighter can rival the J-20.

“Compared with the J-20, do we have confidence in our upgraded F-16s,” said Taiwan’s defence minister.

Taiwan plans to buy F-16V fighters from the United States to upgrade its existing F-16 fleet by 2022.

In a program aired on CCTV on Nov. 4, senior colonel Fang Bing, a professor at NationalDefense University, said Feng’s remarks “are a joke.”

“Any improvement of the F-16 fighter is at most a 3.5-generation fighter, while the J-20 isa typical fourth-generation fighter. By American and Russian standards, it is a fifth-generation fighter, so there is a huge gap between them,” Fang said, adding that in a duelwith the J-20, the F-16v would have no chance.

According to Fang, the debut of the J-20 makes it the third type of fourth-generationfighter to enter active service, following the American F-22 and F-35.

J-20 stealth fighter

http://defence-blog.com/news/taiwan...id-that-f-16v-fighter-can-rival-the-j-20.html

why CFTs are not on F-16v in above picture?

The maiden flight of the F-16V (RoCAF F-16A block 20 #93702), the latest version of the F-16 was completed on October 16th, 2015. The flight marked the first time an F-16 has flown with Northrop Grumman’s advanced APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array Scalable Agile Beam Radar. [Photo by Randy Crites]
http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album39/album32/6606

I'm not going to mock the F-16V which indeed is a highly capable fighter, but to even compare it with J-20 is just absurd.
Couple of reasons for that, the expensive upgrades have to be justified, the public has to be assured that they are well protected and the Taiwanese Air force is capable of tackling anything in the PLAAF arsenal etc

The maiden flight of the F-16V (RoCAF F-16A block 20 #93702), the latest version of the F-16 was completed on October 16th, 2015. The flight marked the first time an F-16 has flown with Northrop Grumman’s advanced APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array Scalable Agile Beam Radar. [Photo by Randy Crites]
http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album39/album32/6606
sir i'm talking about CFT(conformal fuel tank) like pur blk52 jets have..

i have never see F-16V model with CFT.
@Zarvan @Windjammer @ACE OF THE AIR @Khafee

What do you expect the Taiwan head to say?

F-16V will be shoot down without the pilot even know what's hit them. We are helpless against PLAAFJ-20....

Of cos, he will BS something to prevent Taiwanese public from panicking.

sir i'm talking about CFT(conformal fuel tank) like pur blk52 jets have..

i have never see F-16V model with CFT.
@Zarvan @Windjammer @ACE OF THE AIR @Khafee
The F-16V that has been shown is on the Test aircraft which is the Block 15. It does not indicate that the V configuration can not be made for the block 52.

The Test aircraft was made in the late 80's so it does not have conformal fuel tanks (CFT).

Back
Top Bottom