What's new

Taiwan’s Days Numbered?

Krueger

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
A new essay argues that Taiwan’s least bad option may be to adopt the “Hong Kong strategy.”

zachary-keck_q-36x36.jpg

By Zachary Keck
February 27, 2014

3788_524393ed95caa-386x275.jpg

A new issue of The National Interest is out this week. Of particular interest to Diplomat readers will be John Mearsheimer’s essay pondering Taiwan’s future in light of China’s rise. The piece is based on a speech he gave in Taiwan a few months back.

The article is concerned with the fairly distant future when, assuming continued growth, China’s military and economic power equals if not surpasses the United States’. At this point, Mearsheimer contends, the U.S. will not be able to defend Taiwan conventionally given prevailing geography. He also asserts that the U.S. will not extend its nuclear umbrella to Taiwan because of concerns about precipitating a nuclear war with China.

The article is characteristically thought-provoking and provocative. Mearsheimer makes bold statements throughout like “There was no flashpoint between the superpowers during the Cold War that was as dangerous as Taiwan will be in a Sino-American security competition.” Beyond the Taiwan issue, he outlines his views of more general issues, including how China will act in the broader Asia-Pacific region if its power equals that of the United States.

With regard to Taiwan, Mearsheimer argues that it will have three choices in the face of a militarily and economically dominant China: develop an independent nuclear deterrent; build potent enough conventional capabilities to make it excessively costly for China to invade and conquer Taiwan; or pursue the “Hong Kong strategy.” Regarding the latter, which Mearsheimer concludes would be the least bad option, he writes: “In this case, Taiwan accepts the fact that it is doomed to lose its independence and become part of China. It then works hard to make sure that the transition is peaceful and that it gains as much autonomy as possible from Beijing. This option is unpalatable today and will remain so for at least the next decade. But it is likely to become more attractive in the distant future if China becomes so powerful that it can conquer Taiwan with relative ease.”

Many readers will find the future Mearsheimer sketches out for Taiwan as excessively gloomy if not downright absurd. I tend to think that it’s more plausible than we would like to imagine. After all, most European powers laughed at the United States when it initially issued the Monroe Doctrine. However, American leaders persevered in their quest for hegemony, and by the end of the century had made the Monroe Doctrine a reality. I don’t see China being any less determined to annex Taiwan than U.S. leaders were to eject European powers from Central America.

That is not to say that I necessarily agree with Mearsheimer’s conclusions. I think there are a number of issues that aren’t considered or not given enough credence. First, an underlying assumption in the article is that China continues to increase its relative economic power, and thereby its military power. To his credit, I’ve heard Mearsheimer acknowledge that this is an underling assumption in the article, and one that may not pan out. He also notes at the end that Taiwan should hope that China falters economically in the coming years.

Still, I think the article tends to downplay the very real challenges that China’s economy faces, and the fact that historically countries facing similar problems didn’t overcome them well at all. At the very least, then, I think it’s quite possible China will not be as powerful as Mearsheimer envisions in the article until after it recovers from a very serious economic crisis or long period of stagnation.

Secondly, as I’ve argued before, I think almost all observers underappreciate the fact that defeating Taiwan’s military forces would not be the biggest challenge China would face in trying to annex the island through armed force. As Mearsheimer actually convincingly argues in the essay, a strong Taiwanese national identity has taken hold on the island since 1949, and this identity appears to growing stronger in more recent years. I expect this will continue as China grows more powerful.

The major consequence of this, for our current discussion at least, is that China would have to contend with a prolonged armed insurgency after it defeated Taiwan’s conventional forces. This insurgency would have strong external backing, although the fact that Taiwan’s an island might limit how much concrete assistance it would actually receive from the outside. Facing an open, armed rebellion to its rule in Taiwan would be very problematic for the Chinese Communist Party’s rule over parts of the mainland. This possibility alone might make CCP leaders very weary of launching an invasion in the first place.

Thirdly, I think Mearsheimer understates the degree to which other countries besides the U.S. might come to Taiwan’s aid. Foremost among these is Japan, which is already considering a Taiwan Relations Act of its own. This is a crucial difference between the situation the U.S. faced in seeking regional hegemony in the Western Hemisphere and one that China faces in the Asia-Pacific. Namely, Beijing is surrounded by powerful neighbors, all of whom are adamantly opposed to a return to Chinese regional hegemony. I don’t believe these countries will be weaker collectively than China for some time to come, if ever.

Finally, I would not rule out the possibility that if China becomes too powerful, Taiwan might seek an independent nuclear deterrent before it chooses the “Hong Kong strategy.” It would hardly be the first nation that acquired nuclear weapons to negate a rival’s vastly superior military power because it couldn’t do so through conventional means alone. Furthermore, Taiwan has a fairly robust civilian nuclear program that would make it easy—at least relative to some of the recent proliferators—to acquire a nuclear arsenal. The real challenge would be trying to do so covertly since Beijing might attack Taiwan if it discovered the island’s dash for the bomb.

Are Taiwan’s Days Numbered? | The Diplomat

Taiwan is powerless to resist unification. If Taiwan gets nukes, China will make sure Iran gets nukes. We can sanction Taiwan as they depend on the Mainland economy for everything. Nearly all Taiwanese companies consider mainland their largest market. China is only growing stronger and all the neighbours are significantly weaker than China and no one wants to damage the relationship with the mainland and choose Taiwan. Our economy is far too important to sacrifice anything. If China decides to put economic sanctions on these regional troublemakers, they will come to the negotiation table.

BTW this @Krueger guy seems to be exactly what Edward Snowden was talking about where Anglo-Saxon propagandists spread their propaganda and try to divide people by posting propaganda articles.

CIA or NSA are definitely paying this guy Just read all his threads and you will see.

At the end of the day, people from the Mainland, people from Hong Kong (such as myself), and people from Taiwan, we are all "Chinese people" right?

So it is our duty to do what is in the best interests of CHINA.

And what serves the best interests of China... is obviously Chinese Reunification.

If Taiwan wants to hurt the interests of the Chinese nation, if they want to side with the Westerners against China and the Chinese people, if they serve Western interests instead of Chinese ones, they have become traitors and are not worthy to call themselves the Republic of "China".

Hopefully they will come to their senses sooner rather than later. Because no one can be allowed to break Chinese sovereignty.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, people from the Mainland, people from Hong Kong (such as myself), and people from Taiwan, we are all "Chinese people" right?

So it is our duty to do what is in the best interests of CHINA.

And what serves the best interests of China... is obviously Chinese Reunification.

If Taiwan wants to hurt the interests of the Chinese nation, if they want to side with the Westerners against the China and the Chinese people, if they serve Western interests instead of Chinese ones, they have become traitors and are not worthy to call themselves the Republic of "China".

Hopefully they will come to their senses sooner rather than later. Because no one can be allowed to break Chinese sovereignty.

Sadly, the Republic of "China" has hardly done anything good for China, just look at their record from 1911 to 1949.

Those KMT losers should stop crying about how CPC has stolen China from them, since they never deserved to become the legitimate ruler of China.

Last edited:
Without Mainland, Taiwan's economy would crumble instantly. The Americans know they can't protect that island against a full scale invasion from the PLA. I don't know how eager Beijing is using force to unify Taiwan with Mainland as the PLA keeps getting stronger. But i do hope to see a peaceful unification within our lifetime.

When did Gordon Chang change his name? China will falter? Why? Because we are communist? Because we are not white? Because we are not US' lap dog?

Does the author know how close we are to US RIGHT NOW, and we will be even closer after we start calculating GDP like the US does. Passing US in nominal GDP by 2020 isn't a dream, it's going to happen, and on the off chance that it doesn't we'll still be very close that in terms of national power we won't be noticeably different.

Looking at economy we are pursuing aggressive African policies, maintaining relationships with ASEAN and neighbors, free trade with Korea is imminent, Japan maybe, other than Philippines, even Vietnam we are having a great economic relationship.

We are opening up our economy in free trade zones, that will soon number 12, and could open up in a very large extent by 2020 to extend our global reach and keep growing at a rapid pace.

Our graduates with new knowledge, new ethics, new culture, new out look will number 29% by 2020, which means a third of the world's educated work force will be in China, the transition to innovation based economy isn't a dream, it's been made into a reality with the blood and sweat of the Chinese people.

Our infrastructure will be unmatched, pollution will be steady then decrease. It won't be back to where it was, but it will be better and well on the road to recovery.

Our political system, despite no formal reforms, has clearly seen changes, the government considers the people, one child policy, reeducation center and even opening up real and on the fly data on pollution as well as stopping projects if the people demands it. Things not typical of a true totalitarian regime.

So to sum up, our work force will be the most educated, our trade relationships are good with Asia and EU, as well as Americas.
Our pollution is under the microscope and the central government is issue decrees that pollution is to end, period. In China that's not a suggestion, that's an order. Our infrastructure, policies and all kinds of different factors all point to great growth.

I hate these articles that talk Chinese economy that has no grounds on reality or facts. What I have stated, other than the government attitude which can be seen as non-objective, everything else is based in facts. Relationships can be seen in projected growth and trade deals and such, so even that is objective and easily backed up.

Without Mainland, Taiwan's economy would crumble instantly. The Americans know they can't protect that island against a full scale invasion from the PLA. I don't know how eager Beijing is using force to unify Taiwan with Mainland as the PLA keeps getting stronger. But i do hope to see a peaceful unification within our lifetime.
Peaceful unification not possible. The article is quite funny and entertaining i must say.

Back
Top Bottom