What's new

Successful ignition of indigenous cryogenic engine.

S-DUCT

Reaction score
Successful ignition of indigenous cryogenic engine - The Hindu

Successful ignition of an indigenous cryogenic engine on Wednesday at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu’s Kanyakumari district, in conditions simulating the high altitude atmosphere, has boosted the confidence of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to go ahead with the launch of a Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-D5) in July.

The hot-test took place in the newly-built high altitude test facility (HAT) at ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) at Mahendragiri.

“The test was held at 7.55 p.m. on Wednesday, simulating the high altitude conditions to see whether ignition of the indigenously developed cryogenic engine takes place smoothly, as per the expected temperature, pressure and flow parameters,” said Director of LPSC M.C. Dathan.

“The ignition was perfect and it gave all the parameters as per our predictions and it has given us an excellent confidence to go ahead with the GSLV-D5 launch from Sriharikota in July,” he noted. The engine, which uses liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen as propellants and develops a thrust of 7.5 tonnes, powers the GSLV’s upper stage.

With the successful test, the indigenous cryogenic engine would be fully assembled and the cryogenic stage itself delivered at Sriharikota in a month’s time. “Once it reaches Sriharikota, it may take more than two months to fully assemble the vehicle and conduct all tests. So we are planning to launch the GSLV-D5 in the second half of July,” said Mr. Dathan.

GSLV-D5, with the indigenous cryogenic engine, will put into orbit a communication satellite called GSAT-14.

Mr. Dathan said the HAT facility was realised in a record time of one year. “This facility is a unique one in the country for testing cryogenic engines, simulating the high altitude conditions.”

The launch of a GSLV-D3 with an indigenous cryogenic engine in April 2010 ended in failure. Although the engine ignited in vacuum in space, the ignition could not be sustained.

Thanks buddy for telling this great news. :D

This time surely they are going to ignite it the space too. All the best!!

Just release The Test video ASAP!!!

TEST FIRING MERLIN 1D (RP-1/LOX):smokin:

Merlin 1D? Whats that? Didn't know we had gotten a high altitude test facility so quickly, that was A-grade work, any info on said test facility?

Last edited by a moderator:
Merlin 1D? Whats that? Didn't know we had gotten a high altitude test facility so quickly, that was A-grade work, any info on said test facility?
Merlin 1D is a semicryogenic engine(RP-1/LOX) that will power 1st stage of falcon family of launch vehicles.

Sorry bro, but I did'nt find any more info on that.

Indian_Cryogenic_Engine_test.jpg
india-vikas-engine-test-bg.jpg
13-1.jpg

“The ignition was perfect and it gave all the parameters as per our predictions and it has given us an excellent confidence to go ahead with the GSLV-D5 launch from Sriharikota in July
I really hope this happens and I am really very optimistic about this since it's ISRO!!

We need this thing to be operational. So many plans depend on this baby.

I asked Mr. VK Thakur on Twitter that what is different in this test & the test conducted before GSLV launch in 2010?

His reply was that "Vaccum Ignition Testing" was not done earlier.

I was surprised by this reply & further asked if ISRO took a great risk in the GSLV Launch of 2010??

He said that, yes, to some extent & a US aerospace engg. whom he talked about this test was shocked.

I am still confused, was the 2010 GSLV flight DOOMED to be a failure??

Why did ISRO took such a great risk with one of our most important space Programs??

Were they under pressure to make GSLV a success??

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom