‘Star Wars’ Obliterates Single-Day Box Office Record With $120 Million

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
'Star Wars' Obliterates Single-Day Box Office Record With $120 Million

'Star Wars’ Obliterates Single-Day Box Office Record With $120 Million

“The Force Awakens” could break opening weekend record set by “Jurassic World” in two days

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” skyrocketed to more than $120 million in its debut at the North American box office on Friday. The biggest single-day haul in Hollywood history is a spectacular launch, and puts Disney’s much-anticipated sequel to the iconic space-fantasy series on an earnings trajectory unlike any movie before it.

The first “Star Wars” movie in more than a decade is on course to obliterate the opening weekend record of $208.8 million set by “Jurassic World” in June. It could manage the feat as early as Saturday night and conservative projections have it at $225 million for the three days, with a high-end range of more than $250 million.

Director J.J. Abrams‘ space epic surpassed the $91 million of former single-day record holder “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” within hours on Friday, and was boosted by the record $57 million it made at Thursday previews.

Last edited:

'Star Wars' pulls in $250 million globally on opening day, eyes new record

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" hauled in an estimated $250 million at global movie box offices through Friday and was on track to finish its opening weekend with record U.S. and Canadian ticket sales, Walt Disney said on Saturday.

The seventh movie in the celebrated sci-fi franchise is projected to sell close to $220 million worth of tickets in the United States and Canada through Sunday, beating the record $208.8 million for "Jurassic World" in June, Disney said.

The movie already smashed several film industry records and won praise from critics and moviegoers. It collected $120.5 million on Friday, its first full day in domestic theaters, the highest single-day ticket sales ever.

That includes a chart-topping $57 million from fans who rushed out to see the first showings on Thursday night.

"Force Awakens" began rolling out in global markets on Wednesday. Through Friday, international ticket sales reached $129.5 million, setting opening-day records in Britain, Germany, Australia, Brazil and other countries.

The new "Star Wars" film is the first installment in a decade in the series created by George Lucas in 1977. Disney bought "Star Wars" producer Lucasfilm for $4 billion in 2012 and spent more than $200 million to produce "Force Awakens."

The movie is now open in all markets except Greece and India, where it opens Dec. 24, and China, which has set a Jan. 9 debut. China is the world's second-largest film market.

"Force Awakens" has a shot at becoming the highest-grossing movie of all time, according to some analysts. The current record holder is "Avatar," which generated $2.8 billion worldwide after its December 2009 release.

Critics applauded "Force Awakens," which features newcomers Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac alongside original stars Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The movie directed by J.J. Abrams scored a 95 percent positive rating on review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:
And that without "Release in India"..

I wonder how much money Star Wars is going to make in India,which is going to release here on 25th Dec.

Why can't I book a ticket anywhere in Punjab ?

Is it any good?

I mean, i'll go see it regardless of the commentary here as i'm a sci fi fan, just wanna get some input if anyone saw it already. :tongue:

And that without "Release in India"..

I wonder how much money Star Wars is going to make in India,which is going to release here on 25th Dec.

Nor India nor Pakistan. Both nations are going to watch the release on 25th dec. That's a huge amount of fans waiting and of course kids will go as well with families. This film is gonna be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abrams must be a genius. Tomatometer is 95%. Jurassic World grossed 1.6 Billion. Star Wars could beat Titanic, if not Avatar.

Why is star wars releasing a whole week late in India and why is Modi silent regarding this :mad:

Star war movie made that much? What's wrong with ppl? I would rather watch Barney. I mean, what's so special about science fiction movies?

Back
Top Bottom