What's new

Sri Lanka: Tamil party wins landslide victory in northern regional polls

This massive victory is blow for presidents party because after defeating LTTE, he fumbled on many fronts in tamil majority area

SL is multi-ethnic isn't? SO I guess a federal system will work but it should be as per consensus of the SL people and not dictation from babus in Delhi.

SL is multi-ethnic isn't? SO I guess a federal system will work but it should be as per consensus of the SL people and not dictation from babus in Delhi.

Actually I don't care about democracy or freedom of speech as long as there's development. What good would democracy do if you don't have food to eat? If a regional party goes against the interest of the country, then there's no reason it should be tolerated.

And people should actually be educated to wield democratic rights properly, even then.

If Sri Lanka experiences unfettered growth, good governance and good social policies, then I believe Sri Lanka will be the best country in the whole sub continent.

By international indicators, Sri Lanka is already better than India, Pakistan and Bangladesh in many regards. Despite the difficulties, There is a bright future for you guys =)

It would be better if the regional states in India break away from the Indian Union as the prosperity of the regional states are keeping India a float from sinking .e.g Haryana, Maharastra , Gujarat, Tamilnadu and Punjab.

Indians who do not favour democratic countries based on development index, using the failed Indian model , should move to N Korea, Myanmar and not live in democratic west, this is the height of Indian hypocrisy

It would be better if the regional states in India break away from the Indian Union as the prosperity of the regional states are keeping India a float from sinking .e.g Haryana, Maharastra , Gujarat, Tamilnadu and Punjab.

Indians who do not favour democratic countries based on development index, using the failed Indian model , should move to N Korea, Myanmar and not live in democratic west, this is the height of Indian hypocrisy

Thank you for your insight (keep thinking)

Actually I don't care about democracy or freedom of speech as long as there's development. What good would democracy do if you don't have food to eat? If a regional party goes against the interest of the country, then there's no reason it should be tolerated.

And people should actually be educated to wield democratic rights properly, even then.

If Sri Lanka experiences unfettered growth, good governance and good social policies, then I believe Sri Lanka will be the best country in the whole sub continent.

By international indicators, Sri Lanka is already better than India, Pakistan and Bangladesh in many regards. Despite the difficulties, There is a bright future for you guys =)

Actually this is the path South Korea, Singapore took and now China is taking! Develop first, settle differences and politics later. When people have plenty of food to eat and money to spend, a job and a home. Then the nation can take the weight of all the extra pressure.

tamilians are a 10% minority Mahinda has the support of 15 million Sinhalese , most of the muslims and a share of Tamils..LTTE sympathies can keep dreaming...

Also I agree that development first and then think about being 100% democratic ! food is more important than democracy ~

Ohh no thanks we don't want federal system. It's a mess.

tamilians are a 10% minority Mahinda has the support of 15 million Sinhalese , most of the muslims and a share of Tamils..LTTE sympathies can keep dreaming...

Also I agree that development first and then think about being 100% democratic ! food is more important than democracy ~

Lankan demographic

Sinhalese 73.9%
Sri Lankan Tamil 12.75%
Sri Lankan Moors 7%
Indian Tamil 5.52%
Malay 0.32%
Burgher 0.27%
Other 0.19%

But in the North and East - Sinhalese are minority, so the need to colonialise the NE

Commonwealth observers concerned over military involvement

The Commonwealth Observer Mission which has been present in Sri Lanka since 14 September to observe the provincial council election in the North commended the government for largely peaceful well administered election but expressed concern over the heavy military presence and involvement in the elections.

However, the mission noted the heavy presence and influence of the military, including persistent reports of overt military support for particular candidates, reported cases of the military actually campaigning for selected candidates, and military involvement in the intimidation of the electorate, party supporters and candidates.

The role of the military in the electoral campaign was consistently described to the mission as a significant obstacle to a credible electoral process, the observer team said. The observers expressed concern over the apparently constricted media environment noting that in the run up to the elections and on Election Day, important online and electronic media sources were inaccessible.

It was reported to the observers that several media outlets were self-censoring when it came to in-depth or sensitive reporting on the elections.

The mission expressed concern over the numerous reports of misuse of public resources, corroborated by the Commissioner of Elections and independent domestic observers, including misuse of government personnel, vehicles and facilities for partisan political activity.

`We were also made aware of inducements offered to public officials and voters, including conditional job offers, conditional higher salaries and the cancellation of loans,` the team noted.

The Mission also noted the high number of rejected ballots, at 7.5%, cast in the elections and suggested more intense voter education, including using the media, to ameliorate the phenomenon.

`Overall we are impressed by the determination and resilience of voters to exercise their franchise in the context of a compromised electoral environment. It is our sincere hope that this election will mark a forward step in the post-conflict development of the Northern Province,` the mission said in its preliminary report.

Thank you for your insight (keep thinking)

You are welcome,

pc-gdp1.png

Per capita GDP of India

Lankan demographic

Sinhalese 73.9%
Sri Lankan Tamil 12.75%
Sri Lankan Moors 7%
Indian Tamil 5.52%
Malay 0.32%
Burgher 0.27%
Other 0.19%

But in the North and East - Sinhalese are minority, so the need to colonialise the NE

Outdated stats...

(2012 census)

Sinhalese - 75%
Sri Lanka Tamils - 11%
Sri Lanka Moors - 9%
Indian Tamils - 4%
others -1%

Normally Indian Tamils vote for government. In this election government secured almost all Indian Tamil votes. Government got reduced their Tamil votes share 37% to 18% in North. Tamils are so sensitive so it is easy to gain votes by promoting racism. It's just like Tamilnadu politicians gaining votes by showing SL Tamils but TN Tamils do not know the difference of reality in here. Eastern province is totally different story, government won it.

Sinhalese aren't the major issue for them. In the next census you will realize it when the Sri Lanka Moors become Sri Lanka's second ethnic. I recommend you to check stats and growth rate of SL Moors. ;)

Back
Top Bottom