What's new

Sri Lanka: India’s latest security nightmare

It is Pakistan's ACTIVE HELP that LTTE is now history !! Lankans were unable to wipe them out since decades. So friendship with Pakistan look more natural.

Fighter

It is more to do with India's help that they completely stopped supporting LTTE.

If India had continued supporting LTTE no matter how much Pakistan,Israel or China help the Lankans the victory wouldn't be possible.

GB

India has herself to blame. The hegamony and interferance in the south asia has made India the most hated country in the sub continent. Partisan approach to the problems of Sri Lanka has made 75% of the Sri Lankan people very suspicious of India. Hence the genuine affection to China. I tell the indians change your foreign policy from hegamony to friendship then you will not have problems.

Hold your horses Sri lankan, don't run your Sinhalese mouth without knowing the facts.
First of all on one trust you in India due to mass murder and killing of innocent Hindus. This is what UN is asking from your govt. How many temples you and your govt has destroyed and how many buddhist temples has been built on dead bodies of Hindus and raped women will be revealed in very short period of time.

As far as china and Pakistan is concerned we are not worried at all. This is what we want specially for china to scatter its power every where if they want to physically build defence strategic points(ll explain if asked).
No Indian will come and beg Sri lankan to assist us countering china. We have many assets in sea by the grace of almighty Allah; sufficient enough hold any one from her neck.
If chines want to sell you plastic toys and repair your third world ports we have no concern what so ever in that.
People hate and jealous those who are powerful, and honestly we enjoy this hatred. Better been hated then loosing our sovereignty to a foreigner.

India has to worry about the sentiments of 60 million tamilians which is why Sri-Lanka is forced to look elsewhere for its military equipment. China has money so it makes sense for Sri Lanka to work with China, India's trade with China is to the tune of $50 billion! The Sri Lankans have their own economic imperatives so this is hardly something we should be concerned about.

India and Sri Lanka have always had excellent relations, we have dozens of deals in the pipeline and most importantly we're a stone's throw away, Sri lanka has better things to do than to antagonize their only neighbor. The Chinese can forget about anything more than economic cooperation.

Hold your horses Sri lankan, don't run your Sinhalese mouth without knowing the facts.

What the hell are you getting off about? I suggest you read the rules of the forum.

First of all on one trust you in India due to mass murder and killing of innocent Hindus. This is what UN is asking from your govt. How many temples you and your govt has destroyed and how many buddhist temples has been built on dead bodies of Hindus and raped women will be revealed in very short period of time.

You think Buddhists are tearing down Hindu temples? what is wrong with you! this is an ethnic conflict NOT a religious one.

Can you back up a word of what you've said? I didn't think so.

As far as china and Pakistan is concerned we are not worried at all. This is what we want specially for china to scatter its power every where if they want to physically build defence strategic points(ll explain if asked).

I really have no idea what you're talking about but FYI the US has bases all over the planet, India has a base in Tajikistan so I'm pretty sure that the last thing we need is Chinese bases all around us.

No Indian will come and beg Sri lankan to assist us countering china. We have many assets in sea by the grace of almighty Allah; sufficient enough hold any one from her neck.

Sri Lanka has no reason to counter China or antagonize India.

I don't understand what you're getting worked up about. There will always be a degree of suspicion due to the disparity in size and power.

Last edited:
Can you back up a word of what you've said? I didn't think so.

Look at these people those who are trying not to back off but spitting on Indians today when in past they were not able handle few insurgents. These thankless people needs to be explained that making bad and generalized comments on India will invite same response from Indians like me. Cause Indians like you can not see that hole in the shoe is getting wider cause you are trying to be more politically correct for sake of superfluous wisdom which is crippled by the fact that you are going to show your Pakistani counterparts that every thing is good between you and sri lankan.
I have no such obligations. Sri lanka has to answer those war crimes(alligations by UN not by me) done at large before preaching lessons of geo politics to Indians.
I think this will help you. I am ready to back up my claims when you are ready by not agonising my assertions here with reference to rules which i have always followed.

India has herself to blame. The hegamony and interferance in the south asia has made India the most hated country in the sub continent. Partisan approach to the problems of Sri Lanka has made 75% of the Sri Lankan people very suspicious of India. Hence the genuine affection to China. I tell the indians change your foreign policy from hegamony to friendship then you will not have problems.
lolz, copy pasting comments also from the original article? :no: do you have anything to say on your own Mr.Sri Lankan?? :lol:

Look at these people those who are trying not to back off but spitting on Indians today when in past they were not able handle few insurgents. These thankless people needs to be explained that making bad and generalized comments on India will invite same response from Indians like me. Cause Indians like you can not see that hole in the shoe is getting wider cause you are trying to be more politically correct for sake of superfluous wisdom which is crippled by the fact that you are going to show your Pakistani counterparts that every thing is good between you and sri lankan.
I have no such obligations. Sri lanka has to answer those war crimes(alligations by UN not by me) done at large before preaching lessons of geo politics to Indians.
I think this will help you. I am ready to back up my claims when you are ready by not agonising my assertions here with reference to rules which i have always followed.

:lol: another internet warrior.

I don't have to 'show' the Pakistanis anything, India will not allow them to have meaningful relations in South Asia anyway. Facts will remain facts, Sri lanka and India are friends, I hope I don't have to spell it out for you or anyone else on the forum.

As I said earlier, there will always be some degree of mutual suspicion, this is typical of big power - small power relations, Indians like you need to understand this simple fact, it makes no sense to respond in kind as it is counter productive and only furthers mutual distrust.

Stop bulls$hitting.

India has excellent relations with SL. There is an issue with India not supplying offensive weapons to SL due to domestic sensitivities. Apart from that, India and SL enjoy great relations.

India played nice one man show, installing all the countries around them. there is not a single country around India that are not enemy. In this case they did not wake up even when Rajeev taken out.

Specially South Indian Politicians that smugglers and drug merchants. some movie stars even support the LTTE those massacrer 70,000 civil people.

Now the one and only Ally (even its small) forming up with with China,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Myanmar,Vietnam. Of course each and every body taste and hidden agenda is different but guess what as some one say 400,000 Fully armed equipped Sri Lankness Defense force is will be ready.

More over the combat experience had over 3 years of 90 KM long march to Jaffna.. Even US or NATO forces will not have. And it will be remain until another 60 year where the junior shoulder becoming a Senior NCO and retire.

Well lets wait and see after 60 years how SLAF's progress.. is its a small China Army ? or Pakistani Army ? Or
OR
or
Just unique Sri Lankness defense forces the best of the Jungle Guerilla War fare. hmmm not only jungle sea air land..all

Happy new year every body !!!

India played nice one man show, installing all the countries around them. there is not a single country around India that are not enemy. In this case they did not wake up even when Rajeev taken out.

Specially South Indian Politicians that smugglers and drug merchants. some movie stars even support the LTTE those massacrer 70,000 civil people.

Now the one and only Ally (even its small) forming up with with China,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Myanmar,Vietnam. Of course each and every body taste and hidden agenda is different but guess what as some one say 400,000 Fully armed equipped Sri Lankness Defense force is will be ready.

More over the combat experience had over 3 years of 90 KM long march to Jaffna.. Even US or NATO forces will not have. And it will be remain until another 60 year where the junior shoulder becoming a Senior NCO and retire.

Well lets wait and see after 60 years how SLAF's progress.. is its a small China Army ? or Pakistani Army ? Or
OR
or
Just unique Sri Lankness defense forces the best of the Jungle Guerilla War fare. hmmm not only jungle sea air land..all

Happy new year every body !!!

Sri Lanka will be a Strong Nation

India is directly responsible for terrorism in Sri Lanka. If India did not arm, train and fund the Tamil Tigers, Sri Lanka would have been spared a lot of violence and bloodshed - including the lives of more than 70 000+ civilians.

India's support for the LTTE was a policy blunder which resulted in the death of more than 1200 Indian soldiers and the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi. So when India points fingers at neighbouring countries about "cross border terrorism" it rings quite hollow, because if truth be told India is the grandmother of terrorism sponsorship in South Asia. Like the USA it has used its power to bully, push and dominate its smaller countries. Like the USA it sponsored insurgent groups that have turned around and taken huge bites out of the hand that fed them.

The carnage in Mumbai which outraged many Indians was visited many times over in Sri Lanka, courtesy of the Indian government and its erstwhile policy. Even today several Indian politicians mostly from the southern state of Tamil Nadu openly support the LTTE and its ideology. India took little action against the smuggling of arms and ammunition from Tamil Nadu to Sri Lanka during the war. So it is understandable that many Sri Lankans are suspicious of its giant neighbour; it is very justified given the past history. Now India is grappling with its own insurgencies, including the threat posed by Maoists while Sri Lanka has defeated the LTTE which was thought by many to be invincible.

Despite India's blunder in funding, arming and training the greatest threat to Sri Lanka's existence as one nation the relationship between the two countries has never been closer. India's policy towards Sri Lanka has changed ever since the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi. I don't think the policy change came about because of any guilt about funding terrorism, but rather cognisance of the fact that the LTTE was also a threat to India and that the west was using the conflict to destabilise India. India's policy change helped Sri Lanka a great deal in destroying the LTTE, although Tamil Nadu continued to guide parts of it. Thus India's defence relationship with Sri Lanka has been half-baked. India refused to sell offensive equipment to Sri Lanka. As such, Sri Lanka went shopping elsewhere.

Pakistan, throughout the conflict has been steadfast in its support for Sri Lanka. When the LTTE was rolling in on Jaffna, while India balked at helping Sri Lanka, Pakistan did not. As the saying goes, "friends in need are friends indeed." It was Pakistan's help, and not India's that prevented the LTTE from taking Jaffna and perhaps changing the balance of the war. Pakistan was instrumental in the defeat of the LTTE and this will always be remembered. Unlike India's flip-flop policy on Sri Lanka, Pakistan has taken a consistent stand throughout the conflict. I think it is a sign of character. China's stand was no different. So why would Sri Lanka spur them?

Nevertheless, India's help in the last stages of the war was instrumental in the defeat of the LTTE as well. Indian intelligence input was crucial towards destroying LTTE ships. However I think it was more a case of "backing the wining horse" rather than a principled stand. Indian (and Chinese) support during crucial international debates on the war in Sri Lanka staved off possible western intervention that wanted to save the LTTE. The rest is history. It is true that the extent of India's help in the final stages will remain in the mists because of the fallout it may have in Tamil Nadu.

A few Indian commentators seem miffed that Sri Lanka has developed relations with Pakistan and China. Well perhaps it is time to shine a mirror inward and think about how official Indian policies have effected that situation. Why shouldn't Sri Lanka have gone elsewhere to purchase arms when India refused to sell it any? Why shouldn't Sri Lanka develop a close relationship with an up and coming world power such as China? Why should Sri Lanka refuse Chinese investments when India says "no" to them? Case in point: Hambantota Port. The development of this port was first offered to India and India alone. The higher echelons of the Indian government wanted nothing to do with it. Then China stepped in. And now we hear about how it is a "threat" to India and how China is increasing its influence in the Indian Ocean. No one else is to blame for this situation except the netas in Delhi. It is unfair for Sri Lanka's development to be held hostage to India, and it is unfair to blame the Chinese for their initiative. Try and look at this from Sri Lanka's point of view. Given the past history, Sri Lanka has cause to be suspicious of India but no cause to be suspicious of China or Pakistan.

94424d34536a69feb322021a4e0845ec.jpg

HAMBANTOTA PORT, UNDER CONSTRUCTION. It's development was first offered to India. India refused. China stepped in. Is it Sri Lanka's fault?

However, like I mentioned earlier, despite all the "bad blood" that has flown under the bridge the relationship between India and Sri Lanka has never been better. Infact, I would say it is the most progressive relationship India has with any of its neighbours. The central government has distanced its Sri Lanka policy away from the politicians of Tamil Nadu, and in my opinion is certainly more enlightened than that which existed during the Indira Gandhi era. I feel that the end of the LTTE has removed one of the biggest obstacles towards Indo-Lankan co-operation and South Asian stability. India now has a chance to interact and further its relationship with Sri Lanka, not by funding and supporting terrorism, but by establishing and consolidating economic, religious, cultural and sporting contacts. Let's hope the military bit can be added here as well. Perhaps now India can have a full defence relationship with Sri Lanka. I already see this happening and I hope it continues both for the stability of South Asia and for Sri Lanka's (and India's) interests. Unlike other countries, Sri Lanka has not challenged India's dominant role in the region and Sri Lanka's closest cultural contact is India. A stable and prosperous Sri Lanka is in India's interests, just as a stable and prosperous India is in Sri Lanka's interests. India will always be Sri Lankan foreign policy's number one priority. The reasons are obvious. One thing that must be remembered however is that Sri Lanka will not sacrifice its relationship with Pakistan or China. It is Sri Lanka's right, as a sovereign country to have its own foreign policy. India's foreign policy can never be Sri Lanka's foreign policy. I think this is a fair statement.

I think Sri Lanka should develop close relationship with ALL its neighbours. Because I don't think Sri Lanka has "enemies." And Sri Lanka does have good relationship with Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Maldives, Nepal, Iran, Burma... as well as relatively distant China. Whatever the bungling of Sri Lanka's governments past and present and their flaws of Himalayan proportions, I think they have worked on this aspect quite well. It ought to continue; it is in Sri Lanka's interests. How Sri Lanka balances them will be a test of her skill.

And finally, I think all South Asians can learn quite a few things from the China and the Chinese, including discipline, dedication and national conciousness.

Last edited:
India is directly responsible for terrorism in Sri Lanka. If India did not arm, train and fund the Tamil Tigers, Sri Lanka would have been spared a lot of violence and bloodshed - including the lives of more than 70 000+ civilians.

India's support for the LTTE was a policy blunder which resulted in the death of more than 1200 Indian soldiers and the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi. So when India points fingers at neighbouring countries about "cross border terrorism" it rings quite hollow, because if truth be told India is the grandmother of terrorism sponsorship in South Asia. Like the USA it has used its power to bully, push and dominate its smaller countries. Like the USA it sponsored insurgent groups that have turned around and taken huge bites out of the hand that fed them.

The carnage in Mumbai which outraged many Indians was visited many times over in Sri Lanka, courtesy of the Indian government and its erstwhile policy. Even today several Indian politicians mostly from the southern state of Tamil Nadu openly support the LTTE and its ideology. India took little action against the smuggling of arms and ammunition from Tamil Nadu to Sri Lanka during the war. So it is understandable that many Sri Lankans are suspicious of its giant neighbour. Now India is grappling with its own insurgencies, including the threat posed by Maoists while Sri Lanka has defeated the LTTE which was thought by many to be invincible.

Despite India's blunder in funding, arming and training the greatest threat to Sri Lanka's existence as one nation the relationship between the two countries has never been closer. India's policy towards Sri Lanka has changed ever since the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi. I don't think the policy change came about because of any guilt about funding terrorism, but rather cognisance of the fact that the LTTE was also a threat to India. India's policy change helped Sri Lanka a great deal in destroying the LTTE, although Tamil Nadu continued to guide parts of it. Thus India's defence relationship with Sri Lanka has been half-baked. India refused to sell offensive equipment to Sri Lanka. As such, Sri Lanka went shopping elsewhere.

Well said brother. Very useful post. :tup:

:china: :pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom