What's new

South Korea to donate warship to Philippines amid sea tensions

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
MANILA, June 6 — South Korea will donate a corvette warship to the poorly-equipped Philippine navy amid growing tensions — particularly with China — over maritime territorial disputes in the region, the government said yesterday.

The “Pohang-class corvette” will be decommissioned by the end of the year and donated to the Philippines, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila said in a statement issued this week.

It was unclear if the donation would include the ship’s weapons systems.

South Korean Defence Minister Kim Kwang-jin informed his Filipino counterpart Voltaire Gazmin of the donation during his visit to Seoul on May 30, the statement added.

The gift follows South Korea’s recent donation of a landing craft and 16 rubber boats to the Philippines, it added.

“South Korea’s gesture is a small token compared with the great contribution of Filipino troops during the Korean War,” the South Korean minister was quoted as saying.

Officials at the Manila’s foreign ministry and the South Korean embassy could not be contacted for comment.

The donation comes as the Philippines is facing increasing pressure from China over their conflicting claims to the South China Sea.

China claims most of South China Sea even up to the coasts of its neighbours and the Philippines has increasingly accused its larger neighbour of using bullying tactics to enforce its claim.

The Philippines, which has one of the most poorly-armed militaries in the region, has been upgrading its defence capabilities in recent years.

It has also been improving its defence relations with South Korea and in March, it signed an agreement to buy 12 South Korean-made FA-50 jets for about US$421.12 million (RM1.35 billion). — AFP

- See more at: S. Korea to donate warship to Philippines amid sea tensions | World | The Malay Mail Online

PCC-783.jpg

South Korea is the ally of USA and the country must do something.
Anyway frankly tell you,it is not a good news for supplying weapons at this time for SK.Because they must consider DPRK things.It is more important.China recently has a cold relationship with DPRK because of nuclear test.Who is the main beneficiary?They must know clearly.
I also want to state Japan has territory dispute with China,Russian and South Korea,also including Taiwan on Diaoyu Island(Senkaku island).I think you could have a good conclusion that who is behind those things about China island dispute.As a mature big country,don't do such a stupid thing.You could win in terms of tactic but you will lose in terms of strategy.
I want to state one thing about "China claims most of South China Sea even up to the coasts of its neighbours " in your quoted news,I think Diaoyu island is rather nearby our coast and far away from your mainland and I think you could see it from your map..

Pohang Class Patrol Combat Corvettes - Naval Technology

a decent armament for a corvette and main purpose of the corvette is patrolling with some degree of Anti Ship and ASW missions.

by the way,ROK gifted Philippines a Landing Ship,though whether it is a LCU or LST is not clear(probably LCU)

.but it'll be something like this...

LCU-70+series.jpg

Mulgae-class LCU

which is based on US made LCU...

lcu1645.jpg

LCU-1610

specs.......

Dispacement: 415 tons
Dimensions (Length x Beam x Draft): 41.1m x 8.8m x 1.8m
Crew: 14
Range: 560 nautical miles
Speed (maximum): 13 knots

can carry some 200 soldiers and equipments and vehicles.

LCU-76.jpg

MaxDefense: Philippine Navy to Receive Excess LCU from South Korea

Pohang Class Patrol Combat Corvettes - Naval Technology

a decent armament for a corvette and main purpose of the corvette is patrolling with some degree of Anti Ship and ASW missions.

by the way,ROK gifted Philippines a Landing Ship,though whether it is a LCU or LST is not clear(probably LCU)

.but it'll be something like this...

LCU-70+series.jpg

Mulgae-class LCU

which is based on US made LCU...

lcu1645.jpg

LCU-1610

specs.......

Dispacement: 415 tons
Dimensions (Length x Beam x Draft): 41.1m x 8.8m x 1.8m
Crew: 14
Range: 560 nautical miles
Speed (maximum): 13 knots

can carry some 200 soldiers and equipments and vehicles.

LCU-76.jpg

MaxDefense: Philippine Navy to Receive Excess LCU from South Korea

Definitely the Philippine Navy will now have an added 'punch' to their fleet. I believe these Pohang-class corvettes will include their present armaments. Not bad. Also, the Philippines is to acquire 12 Korean FA-50 Eagles for their Air Force.

A much needed defense acquisition, in my opinion.

@STEVEN囧 ,

There is no doubt that the Senkaku Islands are clearly an inherent territory of Japan, in light of historical facts and based upon international law. Indeed, the Senkaku Islands are under the valid control of Japan. There exists no issue of territorial sovereignty to be resolved concerning the Senkaku Islands.

@Nihonjin1051

exactly.they don't need top of the line fighter jets or warships to protect themselves.they just need enough so that they could patrol their maritime boundary properly and force chinese ships to return,or atleast engage them in some low level conflict.when USA will base their ships,these activities will reduce upto dramatic level automatically.

plus,it'd be great if ROK donate more LCU and corvettes as these are scheduled to retire soon.

@Nihonjin1051

exactly.they don't need top of the line fighter jets or warships to protect themselves.they just need enough so that they could patrol their maritime boundary properly and force chinese ships to return,or atleast engage them in some low level conflict.when USA will base their ships,these activities will reduce upto dramatic level automatically.

plus,it'd be great if ROK donate more LCU and corvettes as these are scheduled to retire soon.

I also read that currently there the Philippine Air Force has no air superiority fighters in its air fleet. They retired their last batch of F-5 Tigers back in 2005 I think, so for a good 9 years now, the Philippines really had no proper air shield. I think that 12 FA-50s is a good start. I know that for a while they were considering bargaining with the United States for their used/ old F-16 A/B blocks, but cost concerns was an impediment.

Japan ASDF produces our own version of the F-16, called the Mitsubishi- F2, and perhaps, this might be a possible acquisition for the Philippines. I hope we can contribute to the Philippines ' defense posturing. They need it severely.

Here is the Mitsubishi F2:

mitusbishi_f2a_katsunorikimura.jpg

img_f2.jpg

MANILA, June 6 — South Korea will donate a corvette warship to the poorly-equipped Philippine navy amid growing tensions — particularly with China — over maritime territorial disputes in the region, the government said yesterday.

The “Pohang-class corvette” will be decommissioned by the end of the year and donated to the Philippines, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila said in a statement issued this week.

South Korean Defence Minister Kim Kwang-jin informed his Filipino counterpart Voltaire Gazmin of the donation during his visit to Seoul on May 30, the statement added.

The gift follows South Korea’s recent donation of a landing craft and 16 rubber boats to the Philippines, it added.

“South Korea’s gesture is a small token compared with the great contribution of Filipino troops during the Korean War,” the South Korean minister was quoted as saying.

Officials at the Manila’s foreign ministry and the South Korean embassy could not be contacted for comment.

The donation comes as the Philippines is facing increasing pressure from China over their conflicting claims to the South China Sea.

China claims most of South China Sea even up to the coasts of its neighbours and the Philippines has increasingly accused its larger neighbour of using bullying tactics to enforce its claim.

The Philippines, which has one of the most poorly-armed militaries in the region, has been upgrading its defence capabilities in recent years.

It has also been improving its defence relations with South Korea and in March, it signed an agreement to buy 12 South Korean-made FA-50 jets for about US$421.12 million (RM1.35 billion). — AFP

- See more at: S. Korea to donate warship to Philippines amid sea tensions | World | The Malay Mail Online

PCC-783.jpg
i have questions, Pinoys are ally of USA and even gave big base to USA, then why usa is not arming Pinoy navy and make it strong ?
Philippine's economy is much bigger than Bangladesh. But its navy is not that much bigger than Bangladesh Navy. that is really odd. Why doesn't it make Pinoy navy strong with help of USA or by itself ? :undecided:

i have questions, Pinoys are ally of USA and even gave big base to USA, then why usa is not arming Pinoy navy and make it strong ?
Philippine's economy is much bigger than Bangladesh. But its navy is not that much bigger than Bangladesh Navy. that is really odd. Why doesn't it make Pinoy navy strong with help of USA or by itself ? :undecided:

I have some Filipino friends and when we discuss issues of military defense, this topic arises, as well. Its also interesting to note that the United States is keen to provide $5 billion to Israel, $2 billion to Egypt, but they provide the Philippines a minimal $20 million defense support, just recently they increased it to $40 million.

In my opinion, i think it is due to several factors:

1) The Philippines is not militarily developed, hence the United States can still dictate what it should get
2) The United States, wants to keep the Philippines dependent on it; after they (USA) was removed from the Philippines in 1991, they lost a deep sea port in Subic Bay. It was only inevetible that after Philippines noticed Chinese encorachmenet on its claimed maritime domain, did they invite the US again through passing the 1999 VFA [Visiting Forces agreement], and now rotational forces in 2002, to the 2014 defense pact they just recently signed.
3) Ultimately, the Philippines is a strategic intereset for the United States. Its strategically located. Historically speaking, this is the reason why the IJA , IJN even took the Philippines in the last war. Its a staging ground.
4) A militarily developed Philippines will become emboldened ; and I think this is not to the strategic interest of the United States.

I have some Filipino friends and when we discuss issues of military defense, this topic arises, as well. Its also interesting to note that the United States is keen to provide $5 billion to Israel, $2 billion to Egypt, but they provide the Philippines a minimal $20 million defense support, just recently they increased it to $40 million.

In my opinion, i think it is due to several factors:

1) The Philippines is not militarily developed, hence the United States can still dictate what it should get
2) The United States, wants to keep the Philippines dependent on it; after they (USA) was removed from the Philippines in 1991, they lost a deep sea port in Subic Bay. It was only inevetible that after Philippines noticed Chinese encorachmenet on its claimed maritime domain, did they invite the US again through passing the 1999 VFA [Visiting Forces agreement], and now rotational forces in 2002, to the 2014 defense pact they just recently signed.
3) Ultimately, the Philippines is a strategic intereset for the United States. Its strategically located. Historically speaking, this is the reason why the IJA , IJN even took the Philippines in the last war. Its a staging ground.
4) A militarily developed Philippines will become emboldened ; and I think this is not to the strategic interest of the United States.
USA wanted base in Bangladesh for long time but we did not give a sh*t.
we made deal that our soil will not be used other countries' forces which partially favors USA too :D

you need to make smart deal LOL

USA wanted base in Bangladesh for long time but we did not give a sh*t.
we made deal that our soil will not be used other countries' forces which partially favors USA too :D

you need to make smart deal LOL

I cannot help but have sense of sympathy for the Philippines. We have a lot of Filipinos that work in Japan, too. They are a very hard working, and loyal people. Very good people. I wish the best for their country's outlook.

@BDforever ,
I think also India would not approve if your country was to allow a US base there.

@Nihonjin1051

USa could give some F-16s,but Japanese F-2 is a big no.way too costly and more advanced than what is their priority for now.no offence,its a good fighter jet.but the question here is to sustain.they could buy dozens of SU-27,but couldn't afford it for long run.same goes for their ships as well.they're not trying to procure top of the line equipments,they're procuring low but effective ones.

in my opinion,some old F-16s will be good as a start.they could even procure Israeli Kfirs as a good start,though these aren't air superiority.but for now,they don't need any.they've given an airbase to USA.surely their aircrafts going to protect them for now,after it gets deployed.

Definitely the Philippine Navy will now have an added 'punch' to their fleet. I believe these Pohang-class corvettes will include their present armaments. Not bad. Also, the Philippines is to acquire 12 Korean FA-50 Eagles for their Air Force.

A much needed defense acquisition, in my opinion.

@STEVEN囧 ,

There is no doubt that the Senkaku Islands are clearly an inherent territory of Japan, in light of historical facts and based upon international law. Indeed, the Senkaku Islands are under the valid control of Japan. There exists no issue of territorial sovereignty to be resolved concerning the Senkaku Islands.

I think you should know the history of Dianyu Island and even the western knows the truth.I think you should read more.For you Japanese,there is no doubt,but for us Chinese,even for your friend Taiwanese,won't agree to your point.You could claim all the disputed islands in so-called your historical facts and international law.I think Japan has already denied many historical things that has irritated not only China,but also your allies.

PCC-783.jpg
let see when chinese revenge and begin to drill for oil in korean water.

I also read that currently there the Philippine Air Force has no air superiority fighters in its air fleet. They retired their last batch of F-5 Tigers back in 2005 I think, so for a good 9 years now, the Philippines really had no proper air shield. I think that 12 FA-50s is a good start. I know that for a while they were considering bargaining with the United States for their used/ old F-16 A/B blocks, but cost concerns was an impediment.

Japan ASDF produces our own version of the F-16, called the Mitsubishi- F2, and perhaps, this might be a possible acquisition for the Philippines. I hope we can contribute to the Philippines ' defense posturing. They need it severely.

Here is the Mitsubishi F2:

mitusbishi_f2a_katsunorikimura.jpg

img_f2.jpg
how much a piece F-2?

Our navy used to be much larger, as well as our air force. We just lost 30 years, however, and didn't start recovering economically or militarily until 2010. We still have to catch up to what we were 40 years ago, much less our neighbors as they are today. The US is helping us, but we have deteriorated to the point where we need to source equipment from South Korea, Japan, and Indonesia simultaneously as well as building up our own and getting from the United States.

I suppose we can thank China for the progress of rearmament we have made so far -- we were actually prioritizing industry first, but desperate times call for desperate measures. In the 70s we had our own shipbuilding, aircraft, and missile programs, because like any responsible country we were seeking to build up our own industrial capacity and R&D capabilities. But today we are buying from foreign sources with barely any tech transfer because we need these weapons as quickly as possible in great numbers. We still have local R&D, but they're taking a back seat to major equipment purchases so that we have them now rather than later

As I know, Vietnam agreed to build some speedy patrol ships for Phillipines, similar to 4032

canh-sat-bien.jpg

Back
Top Bottom