Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
12:00 AM, October 22, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:46 AM, October 22, 2019
Sonargaon recognised as World Craft City

Shares
Sanad Saha

sonargaon_world_craft_city_1.jpg

Sonargaon in Narayanganj has been given the status of a ‘World Craft City’ for Jamdani, following an appeal from Bangladesh National Crafts Council to World Crafts Council to recognise the city’s immense contribution to the craft of Jamdani.

This announcement will bring new possibilities for the artisans and their age-old craft, hoped representatives of National Crafts Council (NCC). They said this will help improve the living standards of the artisans.

According to NCC sources, they have been working to develop Sonargaon’s Jamdani sector for the past two years. Last January, NCC sent an application to WCC to declare Sonargaon as the ‘City of Jamdani’.

On September 5 this year, a representative team from WCC visited the Jamdani industry in Sonargaon.

Later, representatives of the Ministry of Cultural Affairs; Education Minister Dipu Moni; Narayanganj City Corporation Mayor Selina Hayat Ivy; the district administrator; upazila nirbahi officer, and Bangladesh Folk Art and Crafts Foundation in Sonargaon also vouched for the industry.

On October 8, WCC sent the official declaration via email to NCC. The council’s executive member Chandra Shekhar Saha said they will organise a press conference soon to reveal more details.

sonargaon_world_craft_city_2.jpg

According to Bangladesh Folk Art and Crafts Foundation in Sonargaon, 23 out of 485 villages in the upazila have a significant number of crafts industries, in which there are 83 Jamdani artisans. Of them, 74 are men and only nine women.

The Jamdani made by these artisans are mostly sold at the crafts foundation’s store, and there are businesspersons from Dhaka and other cities who order certain designs.

Veteran Jamdani artisan Abul Kalam said, “I make and sell Jamdani clothing myself. This is not a peak shopping season so there isn’t much pressure for work, but I’m working on a few orders.”

“It takes between 15 days to two months to create quality Jamdani clothing, but the payment we receive does not reflect the time and effort we give,” he said. “So, merely getting recognition is not enough, we should be given the opportunity to sell our products at fair prices to as many local and foreign customers as possible.”

“If we earn enough money from it, only then can we continue this tradition,” concluded Kalam.

Assistant Director of Bangladesh Folk Art and Crafts Foundation, Rabiul Islam said, “This recognition will open up the possibility of creative tourism, and bring in more opportunities for innovation in this sector. It will encourage more people to take up this craft and reinvigorate the ancient art of Jamdani.”

“We are hoping that there will be export opportunities as well,” he added.

Narayanganj Mayor Selina Hayat Ivy said, “I am incredibly happy that Sonargaon has received this honour. We have not yet received the physical copy of the certificate but once we get it, we will arrange a celebration.”

Only if we still had the Muslin, the queen of all clothes.

It doesn't exist.
Yes, a craft cannot exist without the craftsmen. Craftsmen have all died a few centuries ago without teaching the techniques to the generations next. It was a British ploy to start with. But, the markets have also changed. There are no more the Kings' Palaces throughout Asia, Europe and Africa where the Queens and the Ladies in the Harem would buy it fondly at very high prices.

Yes, a craft cannot exist without the craftsmen. Craftsmen have all died a few centuries ago without teaching the techniques to the generations next. It was a British ploy to start with. But, the markets have also changed. There are no more the Kings' Palaces throughout Asia, Europe and Africa where the Queens and the Ladies in the Harem would buy it fondly at very high prices.

Royals, presidents, first ladies and rich people will still buy it at very high prices if it can be marketed properly. These types of people buy expensive things for the prestige alone, don't underestimate people's need for prestige, honor, arrogance and fake pride.

Royals, presidents, first ladies and rich people will still buy it at very high prices if it can be marketed properly. These types of people buy expensive things for the prestige alone, don't underestimate people's need for prestige, honor, arrogance and fake pride.
People's habits and customs have changed. All the Royals and Presidents of today wear Western clothes. All the Ladies were long skirts, specialized modern dresses the fabrics of which have changed. I personally have little knowledge of women's dresses.

By the way, Muslin is too thin and you can see through it. I have read somewhere Badshah Aurangzeb tersely told her daughter not to wear Muslin cloths.

People's habits and customs have changed. All the Royals and Presidents of today wear Western clothes. All the Ladies were long skirts, specialized modern dresses the fabrics of which have changed. I personally have little knowledge of women's dresses.

By the way, Muslin is too thin and you can see through it. I have read somewhere Badshah Aurangzeb tersely told her daughter not to wear Muslin cloths.

If the Muslin comes back and marketed properly, the fashion designers around the world will come up with new fashions with it.

It was Badshah Shahjahan who rebuked his daughter Nurjahan who looked totally naked when she arrived in the court while wearing seven layers of Muslin. The clothing was so fine.

If the Muslin comes back and marketed properly, the fashion designers around the world will come up with new fashions with it.

It was Badshah Shahjahan who rebuked his daughter Nurjahan who looked totally naked when she arrived in the court while wearing seven layers of Muslin. The clothing was so fine.
So, wait for a group of people to try first to bring back the Muslin craft. I have read somewhere it was from cotton (কার্পাস তুলা). Only the top part was picked/harvested just at the time of cotton coming out of the bud in the very early morning. So, many people had to work at that hour. It was the finest part of the new cotton. The other portion of cotton was not used for Muslin.

Anyway, my knowledge is very shallow. There are reports of various types of Muslin being produced in Dhaka. But, the old and new Muslins are certainly different.

So, wait for a group of people to try first to bring back the Muslin craft. I have read somewhere it was from cotton (কার্পাস তুলা). Only the top part was picked/harvested just at the time of cotton coming out of the bud in the very early morning. So, many people had to work at that hour. It was the finest part of the new cotton. The other portion of cotton was not used for Muslin.

Anyway, my knowledge is very shallow. There are reports of various types of Muslin being produced in Dhaka. But, the old and new Muslins are certainly different.
Some interesting facts...
1. Cotton yarn beyond 100 threads is considered to be Muslin.
2. Muslin gets its name from Masulipatam a town in Andhra where it was traded with Romans.
3. Muslin being transparent a myth, it is light, check yourself for some finest quality muslin in Tokyo National Museum or British Museum or Indian Museum in Kolkata. Portrait of Marie Antoinette another good example.
4. I don't know about BD, but in West Bengal govt has taken care to revive Muslin from a group of untouched craftsmans. From a few doz they are around 800 in number.
5. Till now 1400 threads per inch Muslin is being produced. But the best variety of 1800 threads per inch yet to be weaved by these creaftmans. It may attribute to the delta line of river Brahmaputra where some fine quality cotton plant grew, not found now.
6. Biswa Bangla stores from West Bengal you can buy Muslin of max 500 threads per inch. Beyond that you have to order, prices are exorbitant and will take long time to be delivered.
7. Chandraketugarh from Gangaridai kingdom in West Bengal has terracotta image of muslin from 2 BCE.

That was called Futi Corpus. That used to grow only in a few miles stretch of the Shitalakhya river and nowhere else. I could be wrong about the name of the river, can't remember now.

2. Muslin gets its name from Masulipatam a town in Andhra where it was traded with Romans.
Perhaps, it is not Masulipatam of India that the name Muslin was after. Other sources say it was Mosul Port City of Iraq that lies in the west bank of Tigris. Mosul was a famous trading port in those days from where Muslin/Moslin was exported to the European and other markets.

On the other hand, Masulipatan was not as famous as even Chittagong in the then Bengal. Dhaka was the center of production. No doubt, the products were taken to Chittagong Port from where the traders from Mosul would buy and export to Mosul Port for further distribution throughout the Royal Palaces in the ME, Africa and Europe. Thus Muslin was named by the Europeans after Mosul.

That was called Futi Corpus. That used to grow only in a few miles stretch of the Shitalakhya river and nowhere else. I could be wrong about the name of the river, can't remember now.

You may be right on Sitalyakkha, but I heard it was the hilly Savar region where the soil quality is good to produce that kind of Corpus. Not very sure though!!

Last edited:
Perhaps, it is not Masulipatam of India that the name Muslin was after. Other sources say it was Mosul Port City of Iraq that lies in the west bank of Tigris. Mosul was a famous trading port in those days from where Muslin/Moslin was exported to the European and other markets.

On the other hand, Masulipatan was not as famous as even Chittagong in the then Bengal. Dhaka was the center of production. No doubt, the products were taken to Chittagong Port from where the traders from Mosul would buy and export to Mosul Port for further distribution throughout the Royal Palaces in the ME, Africa and Europe. Thus Muslin was named by the Europeans after Mosul.

You may be right on Sitalyakkha, but I heard it was the hilly Savar region where the soil quality is good to produce that kind of Corpus. Not very sure though!!

Sorry I was wrong. It's the bank of Meghna, not Shitalakhya.

Sorry I was wrong. It's the bank of Meghna, not Shitalakhya.
Yes you are spot on.. thats where the cotton was from....

You can read some good books on muslin like
1. From Muslin To Museum: The Rise and Fall of Bengal’s Textile Empire
2. Muslin
Also go through the books of eminent historians like RC Mazumdar. All had a view that Masulipatam was the town where muslin was traded with Romans and Romans only gave the name.

Back
Top Bottom