What's new

Soldiers modify INSAS rifles as they await replacements

Rangila

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
.jpg

As the army works on its much-delayed programme to replace INSAS rifles, soldiers have come out with innovative ways to reduce overall length and weight of the existing weapons so as to lessen fatigue and enhance accuracy, besides enabling them to fire corner shots.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi was impressed with the innovation and even gave an "innovation certificate" to the person who did it.

Though the army remained tight lipped about who the innovator was and the details, sources said modified INSAS/AK-47 rifle for counter terrorist operations has been designed to reduce overall length and weight of existing weapons so as to reduce fatigue and enhance accuracy of the weapon by aligning the centre of gravity during its employment in counter insurgency operations.

"The modification of INSAS/AK-47 weapon has been done to include corner shot capability. The modified weapon is more stable while firing, compact, easy to carry and has better accuracy," the sources said.

Corner shot guns allow soldiers to shoot around the corner, without endangering the shooter. Corner shot guns usually have a camera and a video monitor for the shooter to see around the corner.

The Army had last year scrapped a four-year-old tender for purchasing 1.8 lakh multi-calibre weapons to replace INSAS, which was inducted in the 1990s.

Army had initially wanted a rifle with interchangeable barrels firing different calibres -- the 5.56-mm INSAS round and the 7.62-mm AK-47 round.

That was because troops use AK-47s in counter-insurgency operations, while the INSAS rifles are issued for peace stations.

The Army had last year scrapped a four-year-old tender for purchasing 1.8 lakh multi-calibre weapons to replace INSAS, which was inducted in the 1990s.

Read more at:
Soldiers modify INSAS rifles as they await replacements - The Economic Times

Curious to see how the modified versions look like... anyone with pics ??

Sounds like a carbine.

A shorter version of INSAS was around for a while. In the form of Kalantak.

16022008009qa2.jpg

On top

It was rejected by the army.

The one without optical sight- I have seen with some Police guarding Railway stations in Naxal areas- But that was only one man having It- seems like It has been put on trail with Police-

The one without optical sight- I have seen with some Police guarding Railway stations in Naxal areas- But that was only one man having It- seems like It has been put on trail with Police-

The Excalibur is in limited use in the IA, and in some special police forces. Both Amogh and excalibur have got some orders.

Last edited:
@Omega007 do you know any such development wherein OFB/ DRDO not taken into loop??

Nope,but what I do know is that,there have been multiple instances when the base armourers had to re-jig their newly arrived consignments of INSAS rifles to sort out numerous glitches in them,such is the level of quality control practised by the OFBs.

Hey Bro! Welcome Back! Looking forward for you to bust some balls of people from both sides :D
Will definitely try my best bro,Lolzz!! :D

@Omega007 do you know any such development wherein OFB/ DRDO not taken into loop??
ever heared of trade unions OFB is based in w bengal remember :P

as for modified INSAS i any day would like to see a bullpup version of excalibur with 18' barrel with piccatenni rails on 12,3,6&9 O clock postions :)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom