What's new

SL involved in match-fixing: Tillakaratne

Dance

Reaction score
COLOMBO:
Former Sri Lanka batsman Hashan Tillakaratne has claimed that his country had been fixing games since 1992, once again raising the spectre of corruption in the sport.

The left-hander, who played 83 Tests and 200 one-dayers during his 15-year career, said he was prepared to back up his allegations by naming some of those involved.

“Match fixing is something which has been in this country over a period of time,” Tillakaratne was quoted as saying by Sri Lanka’s Daily Mirror. “This has spread like a cancer today. According to my knowledge, it happened since 1992.

“There were threats of this issue being exposed at various times. But it was pushed down by giving money to various people. If the people who were responsible for that are listening to this, I state this today with great responsibility, I will shortly reveal the names of those responsible.”

Tillakaratne, who skippered Sri Lanka between April 2003 and March 2004, stopped short of suggesting the 2011 World Cup final was rigged, although he expressed reservations about the selection of the Sri Lankan team.

There was no immediate comment from the Sri Lankan cricket board over the allegations.

SL involved in match-fixing: Tillakaratne – The Express Tribune

Cricket is now riddled with corruption and politics. This is why Pakistan should move away from cricket and concentrate on other sports like soccer!

Hope he will provide evidence otherwise he will be laughing matrial for everyone...

It's Ok guys.. all the failed ex-players need to get some air-time as well and making such statements is the easiest of the ways to be "On Air". :)

Latif backs Tillakaratne’s match-fixing claims​

KARACHI: Former Pakistan cricket captain Rashid Latif has backed ex-Sri Lanka skipper Hashan Tillakaratne’s claims that match-fixing was deeply rooted in the subcontinent and that Sri Lanka were involved in it for almost two decades.

Tillakaratne’s bombshell triggered a scathing response from his teammates and cricket authorities in Sri Lanka but Latif, a whistleblower himself, has said the claims were extremely plausible.

“I know him personally, he told me about this (match-fixing) in the 1993-94 as well. Nobody knows the subcontinent players better than him and if he reveals the facts then a lot of former cricketers from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka would be exposed,” said Latif.

“As far as I know Hashan would honour his commitment and it would be extremely damaging for some ex-players of the subcontinent, but everything will be settled down if a deal struck,” stressed Latif, a former Test wicketkeeper.

He also urged the Sri Lankan not to buckle under any pressure and speak his heart out.

In an interview last week, Tillakaratne admitted that Sri Lanka had been fixing games since 1992.

The left-handed batsman, who played 83 Tests and 200 one-dayers for Sri Lanka during his 15-year career, said he was prepared to back up his allegations by naming some of those involved.

“Match fixing is something which has been in this country over a period of time. This has spread like a cancer today,” Tillakaratne was quoted as saying by Sri Lanka’s Daily Mirror newspaper.

“According to my knowledge, it happened since 1992,” he had said. -PPI

Latif backs Tillakaratne

he should be blamed more than others because he kept quiet when these things happened..

Cricket is now riddled with corruption and politics. This is why Pakistan should move away from cricket and concentrate on other sports like soccer!

What soccer? Football you mean? The only country that plays soccer is USA, others play football, not the crap they play in the US but the Beautiful Game played by Pele, Maradona and now Messi. I don't know why Americans need to change the name of the game they hardly play and don't understand.

What soccer? Football you mean? The only country that plays soccer is USA, others play football, not the crap they play in the US but the Beautiful Game played by Pele, Maradona and now Messi. I don't know why Americans need to change the name of the game they hardly play and don't understand.

Just names,Football is lucky,that they only tweaked the name,other sports were not.

It is a known matter that baseball originated by tweaking Cricket.
American football by tweaking Rugby.
Ice hockey is a derivation of field hockey(the word field hockey again used by American's,to them hockey means what is played on Ice).
NBA by tweaking baseball laws itself.

All the popular sports their r a derivation of some other,i think mostly because American's dont love anything foreign.

In America they say soccer. And why does it matter what its called? Its not like they're changing the format or the rules of the game

that's america for you. for them NFL is football, where they rarely kick the ball! it's just that they find it too hard to adopt to other's games. that's why they either don't play that game or they change it to their liking.. whether the name or the way it's played. i even remember they came out with a weird way of taking penalties in football. luckily no one fell for it!!

Back
Top Bottom