What's new

Six post-Soviet states set to build collective air force

Hasbara Buster

Reaction score

The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) military alliance, consisting of six former Soviet Union countries, is set to establish a collective air force, Press TV reports.

The issue was discussed at a meeting of the CSTO member states, including Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan, in the Russian capital, Moscow, on Monday.

“Participants in the meeting will consider creation of CSTO collective air force. A plan of joint events in operational and combat training for 2015 is expected to be approved,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement issued earlier in the day.

Following the meeting, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the post-Soviet military bloc is a multifunctional alliance capable of dealing with different challenges and threats in the region.

“We discussed allied relations in the organization, including further improvement of the collective security system, peacekeeping activities, prospects for strengthening military cooperation and coordinating foreign political tasks,” the top Russian diplomat added.

Tajikistan will take over the organization’s presidency in 2015 from Russia at a meeting which will be held in Moscow on Tuesday.

The move comes against a backdrop of strained ties between Russia and the West over Ukraine. Russia has been hit with a series of sanctions by the US and the European Union, which accuse Moscow of playing a role in the ongoing crisis in eastern Ukraine, a claim Russia has repeatedly rejected.

Moscow says NATO is using the current crisis in Ukraine as a pretext to increase its presence near Russia’s western borders.

The Collective Security Treaty was signed on 15 May 1992. The bloc’s charter stresses the will of all participating states to abstain from the use or threat of force, while aggression against one signatory would be regarded as aggression against all.

PressTV - Six post-Soviet states set to build collective air force

The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) military alliance, consisting of six former Soviet Union countries, is set to establish a collective air force, Press TV reports.

The issue was discussed at a meeting of the CSTO member states, including Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan, in the Russian capital, Moscow, on Monday.

“Participants in the meeting will consider creation of CSTO collective air force. A plan of joint events in operational and combat training for 2015 is expected to be approved,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement issued earlier in the day.

Following the meeting, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the post-Soviet military bloc is a multifunctional alliance capable of dealing with different challenges and threats in the region.

“We discussed allied relations in the organization, including further improvement of the collective security system, peacekeeping activities, prospects for strengthening military cooperation and coordinating foreign political tasks,” the top Russian diplomat added.

Tajikistan will take over the organization’s presidency in 2015 from Russia at a meeting which will be held in Moscow on Tuesday.

The move comes against a backdrop of strained ties between Russia and the West over Ukraine. Russia has been hit with a series of sanctions by the US and the European Union, which accuse Moscow of playing a role in the ongoing crisis in eastern Ukraine, a claim Russia has repeatedly rejected.

Moscow says NATO is using the current crisis in Ukraine as a pretext to increase its presence near Russia’s western borders.

The Collective Security Treaty was signed on 15 May 1992. The bloc’s charter stresses the will of all participating states to abstain from the use or threat of force, while aggression against one signatory would be regarded as aggression against all.

PressTV - Six post-Soviet states set to build collective air force
awesome news ! ! :bunny:

Lol....translation :Russia effectively takes over Armenian and the gang...."common airfoce" my axx....

Lol....translation :Russia effectively takes over Armenian and the gang...."common airfoce" my axx....
ok6.gif

I seriously believe addition of BD will give this group much needed spark.
I give approval to my vassal state India to join and i assure you that any you will be protected from external threat.

Back
Top Bottom