What's new

Sitting Cross-Legged, He Ate A Dalit Widow's Lunch, Rescued Her Job

T90TankGuy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Patna :When a young Dalit widow went to meet a senior bureaucrat in Bihar, it took him exactly 24 hours to respond. He got into his car and drove 45 kilometres to the school which had sacked her.

Upon arrival yesterday, District Magistrate Kanwal Tanuj ordered officials at the state-run school to allow Urmila Kuwar into the kitchen. Then, seated on the floor with senior members of the Education Department, he sampled her lunch.
bihar-dalit-woman_650x400_51469602239.jpg

Urmila, 36, who lives in the Aurangabad district, 140 km from the state capital of Patna, says she was fired by the school principal three years ago after she lost her husband. She was allegedly told that as a Dalit widow, she would not be allowed to cook the free mid-day meal that all government schools are obliged to offer to students.

Since then, she said, she has been trying to get her job back, but the principal refused unless she paid him a bribe of Rs. 10,000, unaffordable given that she supports four young children alone.

Distrcit Magistate Tanuj has dismissed the principal, who has been charged with discrimination under the strict Scheduled Castes/Schedule Tribes (SC/ST) Act.

dalit-widow-bihar_650x400_61469599625.jpg

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/dali...a-bureaucrat-1436741?pfrom=home-lateststories

While dalit atrocities are being highlighted i found this piece which makes me realise how most people in India have not forgotten humanity .

Even though India has come long way in banishing these social issues, a final push is required to totally eliminate this menace once for all. The creation of more and more cities should help this cause.

True. A more cosmopolitan environment would assist that change in thinking.

The growth of more cities attracting people from all regions would change such localized behaviors.
you would be surprised , even within cities there are retards . But its an on going process which we must support .

Last edited:
Even though India has come long way in banishing these social issues, a final push is required to totally eliminate this menace once for all. The creation of more and more cities should help this cause.

you would be surprised , even within cities these are retards . But its an on going process which we must support .
From what i've seen is that this issue is minuscule in cities. The atmosphere discourages it. People come to these cities and don't behave this way, but the second they are back in their villages they start the same behaviour again.

From what i've seen is that this issue is minuscule in cities. The atmosphere discourages it. People come to these cities and don't behave this way, but the second they are back in their villages they start the same behaviour again.
If i may what exactly is your exposure towards the subject? i ask as i have seen it , may be you haven't moved through poor neighbourhoods of the city you live in. There are many LIG housing in many cities where these discrimination's do exist.
the first step is accepting it , then correcting it.

Waoo even eating with Dalits becomes headline in India, may i ask you Dalits are not human or Indians?

If i may what exactly is your exposure towards the subject? i ask as i have seen it , may be you haven't moved through poor neighbourhoods of the city you live in. There are many LIG housing in many cities where these discrimination's do exist.
I don't say it doesn't exist. I say in comparison to what happens in villages, what happens in cities is minuscule.

Even in Lower Income Group housing you have people from all castes mingling and living together. I grew up in a LIG housing society myself. LIG is more of representation of financial status than a social status.

There are multiple distinct issues at play.

Untouchability is based on Hygiene (or lack thereof) which resulted in segregation of people living in separate colonies to maintain their habits. Cities for most part has got rid of this issue. It has actually come a full circle with Brahmins running restroom/toilet services today.

http://www.sulabhinternational.org/

The main issue that still exists in villages has its roots in feudalism. The landlords or the powers that be in the village historically considered the village as they kingdom and people/workers as they bonded subjects. Anyone going against their will or thinking have been at the receiving end of the stick. This is where expansion of cities have given reprieve to such disadvantaged people who have been historically stuck in such villages.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom