What's new

Singapore: UK and Switzerland not trying to contain the coronavirus

jericho

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

606051.jpg

Fans arriving for the All-England Badminton Championships at the Arena in Birmingham. It is the last live event in the country this month. Other events has been temporarily put on hold due to the Covid-19 (coronavirus) outbreak which has hit many areas globally. - Reuters

SINGAPORE: The UK and Switzerland are effectively not trying to combat the coronavirus and cases in the countries are likely to surge in the coming weeks, a Singapore minister said.

"One concern we have with cases such as UK and Switzerland isn’t just about the numbers. It is that these countries have abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus,” Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong said at a press briefing Sunday (March 15.)

"If there’s no attempt to contain, we estimate the number of cases in these countries to rise significantly in the coming days and weeks.”

Deaths from Covid-19 in the U.K. doubled to 21 on Saturday, while cases surged 43% to 1,140, an increase the government had not anticipated, reports said.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government has been criticised for not following other countries by shutting down schools and banning large gatherings to stop the spread of the disease. The UK response has instead centred on personal hygiene, self-isolation of those who think they are sick and the tracing and testing of those confirmed to have the disease.

Elsewhere, Switzerland has attempted to slow the spread of the virus by closing schools and banning events with more than 100 people until mid-April. The country’s priority now is to increase testing and encourage citizens to protect themselves, Switzerland’s President Simonetta Sommaruga said in an interview with SonntagsZeitung.

Singapore, by contrast, imposed strict measures on those with a travel history to mainland China and carried out detailed contact tracing on anyone who tested positive in an attempt to stop the spreading of the virus. The island nation revoked the work permit of some foreigners caught at their places of employment during a mandatory leave-of-absence period, and repatriated them.

It gradually added limitations on arrivals from other countries which were badly-hit, and on Sunday restricted almost all travel from the Southeast Asian region that it is part of. - Bloomberg

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/reg...e-uk-is-not-trying-to-contain-the-coronavirus

I especially like how Singapore is not afraid to call out other "first world" nations and show them the mirror
Had any other country done so.....But good for Singapore...Many countries actually got some cases from UK...So, maybe UK and Switzerland thought it good to export Corona Virus....

I still haven't bought a mask, should I?

Had any other country done so.....
Not sure, I would think either US or China's gov might be the ones to have spoken out maybe, but any statement (if any) from those 2 are so polarizing so the message itself would be lost somewhere

I still haven't bought a mask, should I?
from what I've read, its only useful if someone is sick, otherwise its not, but then I saw few days ago China's president and other seniors visiting Wuhan and all of them wearing masks, so I dont know what kind of message is that supposed to send to people

UK approach is so bold that its borderline crazy. If successful, this will be a model for many such outbreaks for generations. But if not, UK would have wiped a sizable portion of its population and world.

Maybe coronavirus is not that dangerous.

Maybe all the panic and strict measurement are not necessary.

606051.jpg

Fans arriving for the All-England Badminton Championships at the Arena in Birmingham. It is the last live event in the country this month. Other events has been temporarily put on hold due to the Covid-19 (coronavirus) outbreak which has hit many areas globally. - Reuters

SINGAPORE: The UK and Switzerland are effectively not trying to combat the coronavirus and cases in the countries are likely to surge in the coming weeks, a Singapore minister said.

"One concern we have with cases such as UK and Switzerland isn’t just about the numbers. It is that these countries have abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus,” Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong said at a press briefing Sunday (March 15.)

"If there’s no attempt to contain, we estimate the number of cases in these countries to rise significantly in the coming days and weeks.”

Deaths from Covid-19 in the U.K. doubled to 21 on Saturday, while cases surged 43% to 1,140, an increase the government had not anticipated, reports said.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government has been criticised for not following other countries by shutting down schools and banning large gatherings to stop the spread of the disease. The UK response has instead centred on personal hygiene, self-isolation of those who think they are sick and the tracing and testing of those confirmed to have the disease.

Elsewhere, Switzerland has attempted to slow the spread of the virus by closing schools and banning events with more than 100 people until mid-April. The country’s priority now is to increase testing and encourage citizens to protect themselves, Switzerland’s President Simonetta Sommaruga said in an interview with SonntagsZeitung.

Singapore, by contrast, imposed strict measures on those with a travel history to mainland China and carried out detailed contact tracing on anyone who tested positive in an attempt to stop the spreading of the virus. The island nation revoked the work permit of some foreigners caught at their places of employment during a mandatory leave-of-absence period, and repatriated them.

It gradually added limitations on arrivals from other countries which were badly-hit, and on Sunday restricted almost all travel from the Southeast Asian region that it is part of. - Bloomberg

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/reg...e-uk-is-not-trying-to-contain-the-coronavirus

That's just because medical research NEEDS to happen in Europe and the US as well.
We will NOT become reliant on Chinese medicine! :)

Maybe coronavirus is not that dangerous.

Maybe all the panic and strict measurement are not necessary.
You're almost right, boy! :)
The panic is NOT necessary, the strict measures ARE.

‘We Call for Calm’: Mexico’s Restrained Response to the Coronavirus - The New York Times
Found via nicer.app/news

See, the US needs to solve this one, and they're gonna need EU assistance in doing that, due to sub-cultures being TOTALLY DIFFERENT in the EU when compared to your average US sub-culture (which is a group of people living in a city).

UK approach is so bold that its borderline crazy. If successful, this will be a model for many such outbreaks for generations. But if not, UK would have wiped a sizable portion of its population and world.
If China tried this shit, we would be bashed to death. Ultimate form of white privelledge.

Back
Top Bottom