Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Shrimp seller at Wuhan market identified as COVID-19 ‘patient zero’
By News Desk
Published: March 30, 2020
TWEET EMAIL
2187063-wuhanseafoodmarketpoliceafpx-1585514692-867-640x480.jpg

A security guard stands outside the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market where the coronavirus was detected in Wuhan. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

A shrimp vendor at China’s Wuhan seafood market, where the coronavirus pandemic likely began, has been identified as one of the first victims of the disease and possibly the “patient zero”.

The novel coronavirus – which originated in the central China city of Wuhan towards the end of December 2019 – has spread to all continents excluding Antarctica. The COVID-19 respiratory illness caused by the mysterious contagion has so far killed thousands of people and infected tens of thousands of others across the globe.

Though the deadly infestation has been contained by the Chinese government in Wuhan, the virus has now spread elsewhere, especially in Europe and the United States, with the World Health Organisation declaring these regions as new epicentres of the viral disease.
Wei Guixian, a 57-year-old female shrimp seller who made a full recovery in January after month-long treatment, believes the Chinese government could have checked the spread of the disease had it acted sooner.

German minister commits suicide after ‘coronavirus crisis worries’

Wei was selling shrimps at the Huanan Seafood Market on December 10 when she developed a cold, international media quoted a report from The Paper, a Chinese publication.

So she walked to a small local clinic for treatment and then went back to work, likely spreading the contagion.

“I felt a bit tired, but not as tired as previous years,” she told The Paper, according to a translation by news.com.au. “Every winter, I always suffer from the flu. So I thought it was the flu.”

She visited a local clinic on December 11 and received an injection, but didn’t feel any better, so she went to the Eleventh Hospital in Wuhan.

“The doctor at the Eleventh Hospital could not figure out what was wrong with me and gave me pills,” Wei told the Chinese outlet but those didn’t work either.

“By then I felt a lot worse and very uncomfortable,” Wei said. “I did not have the strength or energy.”

On December 16, Wei went to Wuhan Union Hospital — one of the city’s biggest — to get checked out.

Getting better: China’s new coronavirus cases trend lower

A doctor there described her illness as “ruthless” and told her several other people from the same market had already come in with similar symptoms.

By the end of the month, she was quarantined when doctors finally established the link between the emerging bug and the seafood market, the Chinese outlet reported.

A December 31 statement from the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission revealed that Wei was among the first 27 patients to test positive for COVID-19, and one of 24 cases with direct links to the seafood market.

Wei, who has since recovered and left the hospital in January, said she thinks she contracted the infection from a market toilet in the market she shared with meat sellers and others.

The vendors who worked on either side of Wei, along with one of her daughters, a niece and the niece’s husband, also caught the deadly bug, The Paper reported.

This article originally appeared on New York Post

Read more: China , coronavirus , coronavirus patient zero

If this is true, how come I haven't heard any word from the Chinese govt. about how they plan to thoroughly reform the sanitation standards and standard operating procedures in their wet markets? Obviously these places are filthy and many of the operators are very ignorant about basic sanitation yet there is a ban on the wildlife trade (we will see if this is just a show) yet no word on reforming these markets?

The entire world is suffering now and if these wet markets are indeed the cause, China needs to take responsibility. Perhaps every 3 months, the UN needs to send a task force into 20-30 cities in China to check on the status of their wet markets.

Wet markets are still operating and bats are still being sold

It might've come from the wet market with perhaps Pangolins as a carrier animal.

It didn't come from bats. Chinese do not eat bats. Show me one video where Chinese are eating bats IN CHINA. All the ones I've seen are from Palau or Indonesia.

At least there is a ban on wild life eating now.

We will see how long this ban lasts or how strictly it is enforced. It is not acceptable that the entire world has to pay with tens of thousands of lives and economic ruin because Chinese people refuse to maintain civilized standards when it comes to food and sanitation. LEARN FROM JAPAN FOR **** SAKES. Japan has wet seafood markets and they are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Why is China so fucking filthy?

If the patient zero was infected from the human toilet...

Then there's another patient zero.

Not her.

By News Desk
TWEET EMAIL

A security guard stands outside the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market where the coronavirus was detected in Wuhan. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

A shrimp vendor at China’s Wuhan seafood market, where the coronavirus pandemic likely began, has been identified as one of the first victims of the disease and possibly the “patient zero”.

The novel coronavirus – which originated in the central China city of Wuhan towards the end of December 2019 – has spread to all continents excluding Antarctica. The COVID-19 respiratory illness caused by the mysterious contagion has so far killed thousands of people and infected tens of thousands of others across the globe.

Though the deadly infestation has been contained by the Chinese government in Wuhan, the virus has now spread elsewhere, especially in Europe and the United States, with the World Health Organisation declaring these regions as new epicentres of the viral disease.
Wei Guixian, a 57-year-old female shrimp seller who made a full recovery in January after month-long treatment, believes the Chinese government could have checked the spread of the disease had it acted sooner.

Wei was selling shrimps at the Huanan Seafood Market on December 10 when she developed a cold, international media quoted a report from The Paper, a Chinese publication.

So she walked to a small local clinic for treatment and then went back to work, likely spreading the contagion.

“I felt a bit tired, but not as tired as previous years,” she told The Paper, according to a translation by news.com.au. “Every winter, I always suffer from the flu. So I thought it was the flu.”

She visited a local clinic on December 11 and received an injection, but didn’t feel any better, so she went to the Eleventh Hospital in Wuhan.

“The doctor at the Eleventh Hospital could not figure out what was wrong with me and gave me pills,” Wei told the Chinese outlet but those didn’t work either.

“By then I felt a lot worse and very uncomfortable,” Wei said. “I did not have the strength or energy.”

On December 16, Wei went to Wuhan Union Hospital — one of the city’s biggest — to get checked out.

A doctor there described her illness as “ruthless” and told her several other people from the same market had already come in with similar symptoms.

By the end of the month, she was quarantined when doctors finally established the link between the emerging bug and the seafood market, the Chinese outlet reported.

A December 31 statement from the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission revealed that Wei was among the first 27 patients to test positive for COVID-19, and one of 24 cases with direct links to the seafood market.

Wei, who has since recovered and left the hospital in January, said she thinks she contracted the infection from a market toilet in the market she shared with meat sellers and others.

The vendors who worked on either side of Wei, along with one of her daughters, a niece and the niece’s husband, also caught the deadly bug, The Paper reported.

After propagandas and propagandas from the great USA. It's very difficult to trust their medias anymore. They are always lying. I not saying Chinese media don't lie, every media lies for their own agenda, but it's like a drop in the ocean compared to the western ones.

By News Desk
TWEET EMAIL

@beijingwalker @Beast @8888888888888

If you observe carefully, the more failures in US's attempt to control COVID-19's spread in their country, the more fake news attacks appears, even right out of their president's mouth.

They are trying extremely hard trying to divert their incompetence in handling the virus, and blame everything on China.

China's lockdown on Wuhan gave the World a window of 2 months, instead of stockpiling emergency equipment like face masks, PPE, ventilators, test kits etc, they spend every opportunity attacking China's handling of lockdown.

After wasting the 2 months window, they know they are doomed, and a fresh round of fake news attack began. And what did China do? China is donating and supplying much needed equipment to USA, there will be at least 20 cargo planes full of much needed materials flying to USA from China.

By News Desk
TWEET EMAIL

If this is true, how come I haven't heard any word from the Chinese govt. about how they plan to thoroughly reform the sanitation standards and standard operating procedures in their wet markets? Obviously these places are filthy and many of the operators are very ignorant about basic sanitation yet there is a ban on the wildlife trade (we will see if this is just a show) yet no word on reforming these markets?

The entire world is suffering now and if these wet markets are indeed the cause, China needs to take responsibility. Perhaps every 3 months, the UN needs to send a task force into 20-30 cities in China to check on the status of their wet markets.
No chance! many chinese are die hard gourmet eaters. Not too far from my office, a chinese restaurant offers fresh pig brains for hot pot fondue.

It might've come from the wet market with perhaps Pangolins as a carrier animal.

It didn't come from bats. Chinese do not eat bats. Show me one video where Chinese are eating bats IN CHINA. All the ones I've seen are from Palau or Indonesia.

We will see how long this ban lasts or how strictly it is enforced. It is not acceptable that the entire world has to pay with tens of thousands of lives and economic ruin because Chinese people refuse to maintain civilized standards when it comes to food and sanitation. LEARN FROM JAPAN FOR **** SAKES. Japan has wet seafood markets and they are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Why is China so fucking filthy?

You are ruling out the possibility that the virus made several hops from bats and eventually landed on human. I don't think the origin of the virus matters much. If you look at the entire human history, all pandemics were and still are caused by close interaction with animals. As if it is a punish from animals: you mess with me, you might as well take whatever garbage I have, too.

Back
Top Bottom