What's new

Shaban Azmi on Muslim in India

Nafees

Reaction score
Source: The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

You can’t make only token gestures, says Shabana
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, August 16

Noted film actress Shabana Azmi, a social activist and a former MP, has described the current situation in Jammu and Kashmir as “a cauldron” and feared that the situation in the state could have repercussions on Hindu-Muslim relations in other parts of India.

Azmi was speaking to Karan Thapar in his Devil’s Advocate programme to be telecast by TV news channel CNN-IBN tomorrow. In reply to a question Azmi said, “It’s a cauldron, the situation has been allowed to go out of hand and there's a deliberate attempt to communalise it, which is a huge pity.” Asked by Karan Thapar whether this could spiral out of control and could create differences between Hindus and Muslims elsewhere in India, she said: “Absolutely, absolutely. I can see that happening, and that's why I am so distressed over what’s happening in Kashmir and for heaven's sake it should be brought to a stop, and this should have been brought to a stop right when it started with that nonsense.”

Shabana Azmi also spoke at length over discrimination against Muslims in India despite the Government expressing its commitment to a secular policy.

She alleged that Muslims are victims of discrimination. She cited her own instance and said, “I wanted to buy a flat in Bombay and it wasn’t given to me because I was a Muslim and I read the same about Saif (Saif Ali Khan.) Now, I mean, if Javed Akhtar and Shabana Azmi cannot get a flat in Bombay because they are Muslims, then what are we talking about?”

She said, “I think there is not enough understanding of the fact that in a democracy, how you treat the security of the minority must be a very important part for the success of a democracy. You can’t only make token gestures and actually let them be in the state that they are as the Rajinder Sachar committee report shows. So what has happened is token gestures are made but real issues are never addressed.’’

She blamed the Indian politicians for promoting a stereotype image of the Muslim community and not allowing moderate liberal Muslim voices to be heard. She said, “You look at the politicians, whether it is Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Indira Gandhi or anybody else. The minute it is a Muslim question, you will get all the dariwalas and all the maulvis only to speak.”

She also blamed the muslim community for allowing itself to listen to fundamentalists and said, “The community is also allowing itself to listen to fundamentalists, who actually are not their leaders at all.”

The noted film actress however denied the necessity of Muslims depending solely on leaders from their community. She said, “No, no, no, no. Jawaharlal Nehru was a leader of Muslims and that is the way it should be. You don’t need a Muslim leader for that.’’

When the situation confronting Muslims of Hindustan was brought to the attention of readers on this forum earlier, some otherwise decent and honorable Indian friends objected strongly by remaiining in denial. I hope this news will generate greater awareness of the kinds of problems I have noted earlier, such as getting loans, or admissions in particular school.

Without doubt much progress has been made in Hindustan, and there is room for more, should decency prevail.

Buying flats in Mumbai: Do certain communities face bias?-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

Buying flats in Mumbai: Do certain communities face bias?
22 Aug 2008, 0657 hrs IST, S Balakrishnan & Somit Sen ,TNN

Actor Shabana Azmi has sparked off a huge controversy by alleging that Muslims cannot buy flats in Mumbai and that the community was discriminated against. TOI decided to do a reality check. Its reporters posed as Muslim flat-buyers-Mohammed Hanif and Abdul Rashid-and called up several builders' offices and real estate agents at random, inquiring about the availability of flats. The results were by and large contrary to what Azmi alleged. Here's what we did:

We dialled K Raheja builder (26005269) and inquired about his project on Link Road, behind D Mart, in Malad (West). An executive said booking was open and possession would be available by Diwali. Asked if they had any objection to selling flats to Muslims he replied: "Absolutely no problem sir. We don't bother about the religion of buyers. Anyone willing to pay our price is welcome.''

RNA builders (28975659) have a project at NG Park on Shiv Vallabh Road, Rawalpada, Borivli (West). A staffer said an 850 sq ft (built-up area) flat can be had at Rs 4,800 per sq ft. He categorically stated that being a Muslim did not matter to his company. "You can come anytime to have a look at the flats,'' he added cheerfully.

A staffer at Kalpataru Builders (28842600) said two-and-a-half BHK flats can be booked at their project in Kandivli (E) and possession will be given in May 2009. He reassured that religion was no consideration for the sale. "We have no issue selling flats to Muslims,'' he emphasised.

At Nahar Builders' office (28470201) an assistant identified himself as Sureshbhai and initiated a smooth sales talk about their project at Chandivli Farm Road near Powai. He said flats measuring 1040 sq ft were available for at Rs 10,000 per sq ft. He was surprised when we asked if he had any reservations about selling a flat to a Muslim. "Why there should be any problem?'' he asked innocently. "You are most welcome,'' he added for good measure.

Real estate agent Sushil Khemchand (9820800728), when contacted, said a posh flat was available on outright purchase for Rs 2.5 crore off Turner Road in Bandra (West). Measuring around 1100 sq feet, this flat-situated in an eight-year-old building-was available to people from all religions, he stated. He assured that that the housing society would have no objection to Muslims staying there.

Estate agent Rajubhai Dayalani (9322571471) has a few flats for sale at Mayuresh Shristi, L B S Marg, in Bhandup (West). He said it was available for anywhere between Rs 44 lakh and Rs 56 lakh. Rajubhai said the flats were open for people from all communities and there was no discrimination. "Only the price mattered. Please come on Sunday to have a look,'' he said enthusiastically.

Lokhandwala Construction (32933197) project near Worli Naka is ready for possession, and falls under the Slum Rehabilitation Scheme. Shailesh Bhai, who is promoting the project, told TOI that there was no problem being a Muslim and one could easily purchase an apartment here. The builder, Moiz Lokhandwala, was a Muslim who did not care about the religion of the buyers. Bhoomi builders (28617227) have a project at Bhoomi Valley, near Thakur Public School, in Kandivli. They too have no objections to Muslims buying properties in their projects.

A few others, however, had some reservations .

Windsor builders (21714617) in Thane have a project, whose possession date is December 2008. When asked whether a Muslim can buy property there, a staffer replied: "Sir, I am confused. I am not sure. I will have to check with my boss.''

Kabra Builders (28783818) have a project at Vidya Niketan Marg, off M G Road in Goregaon (West). It is a redevelopment project and will have 2 BHK flats for possession by November 2008. Each flat measures 925 sq ft built-up area and will have proper amenities. However, Deepakbhai, who spoke to us, said that he was not sure about Muslims being accommodated here. "As it is a redeveloped property, I will have to take a no-objection from the society,'' he said and promised to get back to us soon.

Asked if they had any objection to selling flats to Muslims he replied: "Absolutely no problem sir. We don't bother about the religion of buyers. Anyone willing to pay our price is welcome

So, one can conclude that if one calls and asks whether a persons or corportate entity engages in discriminatory practices, one will get a response that the individual or corporate entity does not discriminate. But isn't it the case discrimination is more often than not, not practiced in the open and is complex?

Let us remember that hypocracy is the complement vice pays to virtue.

because of Ms. Azmi's allegation, shall we then conclude that a significant problem exists for Muslims in Hindustan? No, not necessarily, but what purpose other than the complement mentioned above is served by denial??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom