Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
SH-3 Artillary System

1282052579_41055.jpg

1282394453_87216.jpg

1282394453_53792.jpg

1282394453_18246.jpg

Is Sh-3 capable of firing smart shell guilded by laser? I heard China has developed such artillery shells.

Also in picture #3, with the soldier waving red flag, notice what looks like a display screen and keypad on the steel hatch, and some bundled wire from inside the vehicle joined to the opened hatch. Interesting if that really is a computer.

Is Sh-3 capable of firing smart shell guilded by laser? I heard China has developed such artillery shells.

Also in picture #3, with the soldier waving red flag, notice what looks like a display screen and keypad on the steel hatch, and some bundled wire from inside the vehicle joined to the opened hatch. Interesting if that really is a computer.

Here is a link that I found with more detailed info on this artillery system.

China Defense Blog: Update on the SH-3 Artillary System.

It appears the truck-based self-propelled artillery system has provided to be successful and now enjoys a rapid adoption rate within both the Beijing and Chengdu MRs.

My previous entry on SH-3 Truck Based self-propelled system.

Monday, November 16, 2009

China Defense Blog: SP-1 and SP-3 Truck Based Self-Propelled Artillery System.

SP-1 and SP-3 Truck Based Self-Propelled Artillery System.
The Norinco SP family of Truck Based self-propelled (SP) artillery system was first revealed during the 2007 Abu Dhabi International Defence Exhibition (IDEX 2007). It is once again on display at this year’s IDEX with more detailed sales brochures and technical diagrams. China’s debut of the L-15 advanced jet trainer marks a major push into the Middle East Arms market after the success of the PLZ-45 155mm SP artillery deals with Kuwait.

The SP project commenced in 2002 with two variants: 155mm/52 caliber SP1 and the 122mm (D-30) based SP3. The truck based artillery concept is gaining popularity in recently years as they are an inexpensive option to air transport and can utilize the highway routes that are becoming more available. It will face stiff competition as the Truck Based Self-Propelled Artillery market is already dominated by more established players such as BAE’s Lightweight Mobile Artillery System, the French (CAEASR) Nexter Systems and the ATMOS 2025 Autonomous Self Propelled 155mm Gun. The advantage of the SP family is that it can fire both the Russian or the NATO based laser-guided projectile as well as the standard HE rounds.

It has been confirmed that a small quantity of SPs are already in PLA service since October 2009.

It appears that at least the export version of this artillery could fire laser-guided projectile. I am sure that the domestic version could fire Chinese laser-guided shells as well.

Back
Top Bottom