What's new

Self-driving cars will be on the roads within five years, says Ford CEO

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Self-driving cars will be on the roads within five years, says Ford CEO | Financial Post

Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Mark Fields said that an automaker probably will introduce a self-driving vehicle within half a decade, but it won’t be his company, which is focusing on less expensive features that assist in driving.

“Fully autonomous vehicles are a real possibility,” Fields said at a Jan. 5 dinner with analysts and journalists on the eve of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. “Probably, in the next five years, you’ll see somebody introduce autonomous vehicles.......

Last edited:
Self-driving cars will be on the roads within five years, says Ford CEO | Financial Post

Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Mark Fields said that an automaker probably will introduce a self-driving vehicle within half a decade, but it won’t be his company, which is focusing on less expensive features that assist in driving.

“Fully autonomous vehicles are a real possibility,” Fields said at a Jan. 5 dinner with analysts and journalists on the eve of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. “Probably, in the next five years, you’ll see somebody introduce autonomous vehicles.......

No way. I tell you what. I work with AI and I can tell you AI has failed BIG TIME. No AI this century.

Elon Musk on Tesla’s autonomous cars - Tech Insider

Elon Musk says Tesla’s fully autonomous cars will hit the road in 3 years

Tesla's self-driving vehicles are not far off.

During an interview earlier this week with the Danish news site Borsen, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said the company is rolling out its "Autopilot" feature to the masses next month and the company's fully autonomous vehicles will be ready in just a few short years.

"The Tesla that is currently in production has the ability to do automatic steering autopilot on highway. That is currently being beta tested and will go into wide release early next month. So, we are probably only a month away from having autonomous driving at least for highways and for relatively simple roads," Musk said. "My guess for when we will have full autonomy is approximately three years.

While Tesla will be ready to roll out its self-driving cars in a just a few short years, the government may not be ready for them.

Tesla is already testing its self-driving car technology on public roads in California, but Musk said that he doesn't expect regulators to allow fully autonomous vehicles on the road beyond testing purposes for another one to three years after Tesla finishes its self-driving car.

"In some markets regulators will be more forward leaning than others, but in terms of when it will be technologically possible, it will be three years," Musk said.

Twenty years from now, Musk said it's likely all cars being built will be self-driving and a very large percentage of vehicles will be electric.

Major automakers and tech companies — including Google, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and reportedly Apple — are all currently working on autonomous driving technology. However, like Tesla, many car makers are first rolling out Autopilot-like functions into their newer cars, which enable the vehicle to do things like autonomously drive on the highway and self-park.

There goes all the fun ....:(
I am not going to give away to autodrive, if I can survive in India, i am very confident i can survive anywhere.
And for rest of journeys we have the most intelligent system called human driver / chauffeur etc.
Last thing I want to be said about me, is that i died because of a new disease called Blue Screen of Death. (BSOD)

Having said that, self driving cars will be good for mass transit systems. But not for the fun in drive kind of situation.

autopiloted cars will be beyond a common man's reach for atleast a decade. You can not expect Audi to sell a common man's car.
But I hope it reduces the rash driving habits of the spoilt rich brats.

There goes all the fun ....:(
I am not going to give away to autodrive, if I can survive in India, i am very confident i can survive anywhere.
And for rest of journeys we have the most intelligent system called human driver / chauffeur etc.
Last thing I want to be said about me, is that i died because of a new disease called Blue Screen of Death. (BSOD)

Having said that, self driving cars will be good for mass transit systems. But not for the fun in drive kind of situation.

I can think of a whole bunch of weird scenarios for autonomous cars.

Dominoes delivers your pizza to your front door...with nobody in the car.
You can call in your order at a supermarket and have your car go get it...you stay home.
You fly across the country..but you send you car a few days first...to pick you up at the airport!!
You tell your car to go out and splash people by driving through big puddles while they are walking on the sidewalk,

I'd say less than that. The technology is fully mature and just needs to be put in mass production. Cities cannot simply handle millions of independently thinking drivers who cause traffic jams, accidents and so on. Computers also don't get road rage, they don't lose patience and most importantly they care for other road users.
Driving has now become a horrible, boring chore. I'd rather read a paper, talk to my family, whilst letting the machine do the work.
The age of humans at the controls of vehicles is fast coming to an end.

I can think of a whole bunch of weird scenarios for autonomous cars.

Dominoes delivers your pizza to your front door...with nobody in the car.
You can call in your order at a supermarket and have your car go get it...you stay home.
You fly across the country..but you send you car a few days first...to pick you up at the airport!!
You tell your car to go out and splash people by driving through big puddles while they are walking on the sidewalk,

Just wondering what will happen to all those hill top saturday nights dates?
You will always feels that Car is keeping a check on you...
And what if autodrive decides to take back to girls house while the date is on ...

Gash ...future is very dark...

Just wondering what will happen to all those hill top saturday nights dates?
You will always feels that Car is keeping a check on you...
And what if autodrive decides to take back to girls house while the date is on ...

Gash ...future is very dark...

haha!! My Dad's car is following me!!!

Back
Top Bottom