What's new

Secular India On Eid, Ahmedabad mall charges entry fee from Muslims

this is the new money making india :coffee: on route to become world's third largest economy..:smokin:

this is the new money making india :coffee: on route to become world's third largest economy..:smokin:

No different from cover charge that you pay in a lot of restaurants and night clubs that is adjusted against consumption. And its not wrong really (as long as its not discriminatory). $hit load of money goes into building and running a mall. If that mall gets swamped with folks who just want to roam around in the free comfort of Air conditioned environment, it actually deters the real shoppers who wont want to go to crowded places. That's why in most malls, the footfall is extremely high on holidays with no real increase in actual sales....

TOI is gonna put an apology letter on tomorrow's paper for wrong-information. Charges were for everyone especially the teenagers who usually go there daily and buy nothing and tease girls in mall!!

TOI seems to stand by its previous report....

Profiling on Eid indeed took place at Ahmedabad mall - The Times of India

Reacting to our story "On Eid, Ahmedabad mall charges entry fee from Muslims", some people have commented on social media that the entry fee was not on a particular community. We have also been accused of publishing the report without verifying the facts. Here is our response:

We stand by our story. The mall authorities were clearly profiling male entrants. Those dressed in traditional Eid attire or exhibiting other obvious symbols of their faith, like skull caps, were being asked to pay the 20-rupee charge, while others were being politely requested to leave the queue and get free passage. Like any exercise in profiling, this could not have been foolproof.

It is, therefore, possible that some non-Muslims may also have paid up the entry fee and some Muslims males were spared because, in the eyes of those screening visitors, they didn't appear Muslim. Women — burqa-clad or otherwise — were being directed towards the green channel.

The officials also clearly told us that the step was taken for the sake of crowd control after the incident on Eid last year when some glass panes were damaged in a fight between two groups of Muslims inside the mall. The mall authorities backtracked and universalized the entry charge after TOI reporters and photographers reached the spot and started making inquiries.

Later in the evening, they withdrew the fee altogether because of media attention.

No its not fair... I agree. But lets see why and how they did it.
they were not charging btw... they were asking window shopper and trouble makers (teenagers) to pay 20 rs which will be refunded if they purchase anything.
I have been asked to pay parking fee in a mall , but I could use that amount against any item I purchase.

Another thing, do you seriously think a security guy can decide who is muslim youth and who is not.

do you really think its fair? by charging from minority? use common sense. read the whole article.

How is it not fair???

Mall by providing parking space, is providing a service,the payment for which is the spending that customer done inside a mall.

They have every right bot legally and morally to charge freeloaders who park their car to visit some other place.

How is it not fair???

Mall by providing parking space, is providing a service,the payment for which is the spending that customer done inside a mall.

They have every right bot legally and morally to charge freeloaders who park their car to visit some other place.

it was entry fee, not parking fee.

Much ado about nothing, the idea was to stop those young men who, free from the spiritual blessing that is Ramazan and its divine "shackles" on modesty and respect.. come for eve staring and teasing. I wish the same was done throughout Pakistan.

Essentially, it was a great idea if it was truly "Tharki(peeping tom) Charge"..

Much ado about nothing, the idea was to stop those young men who, free from the spiritual blessing that is Ramazan and its divine "shackles" on modesty and respect.. come for eve staring and teasing. I wish the same was done throughout Pakistan.
The problem was religious profiling, it was wrong, media reported, hope they are wiser and implement it more universally during diwali.
I dont think they meant any evil, they are business establishement, they wont want to drive away muslim customers. They should have been fairer.

The problem was religious profiling, it was wrong, media reported, hope they are wiser and implement it more universally during diwali.
I dont think they meant any evil, they are business establishement, they wont want to drive away muslim customers. They should have been fairer.

Agreed, even if in good faith. I have a Keralite Muslim classmate.. who after eid Namaz was talking about how he went near the female section to catch a glimpse of ladies because Ramadan is over. And I just stared at him blankly.. It seems the whole idea of keeping ones hormones in control is lost upon most Muslims after Ramadan.

Essentially, it was a great idea if it was truly "Tharki(peeping tom) Charge"..

NOW HERE IS AN EDUCATED BUT ALSO a person w/ common sense to comprehend why it was done. YOU hit the nail on the head to my challenge to the others who lacked comprehension to understand the reasons behind it. Thank you!

It seems poor Islamists doing reverse hizarat to non Muslim USA are not allowed to park in some malls as well?

And yes, partition was good. Two nation theory stands justified.

Yet again.

There is nothing as "reverse Hijarat" (correct your spellings btw)...

And in United States, Muslims are doing fine...

india should really look after its poor Muslims...I feel sad of indian Muslims..

NOW HERE IS AN EDUCATED BUT ALSO a person w/ common sense to comprehend why it was done. YOU hit the nail on the head to my challenge to the others who lacked comprehension to understand the reasons behind it. Thank you!

The only thing is , they could have been smarter about it. So particularly, they could have simply disallowed anyone other than families.. this is what is done on particular festivals in certain malls in Pakistan. Families meaning male and female.. so dating is fine :)

There is nothing as "reverse Hijarat" (correct your spellings btw)...

What would hijarat from Dar-Ul-Islam (rather than to) be called then?

And in United States, Muslims are doing fine...

I know. I hope that continues...

I want all people in all places to do fine.

india should really look after its poor Muslims...I feel sad of indian Muslims..

Thanks for your concern. We are trying...

This is out right communalism and extremism against Muslims getting institutional support in india.Shame!

This is out right communalism and extremism against Muslims getting institutional support in india.Shame!
@idune sir reliable sources tell me it's a chankyan RAW conspiracy, they collect funds from this mall and funnel it to Awami League, just yesterday they deposited 250 crore taka in Hasinaji's bank account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom