What's new

SD card detection issue after encryption

Irfan Baloch

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Anyone come across the Issue I am facing?
so I decided to use the encryption feature provided in my Samsung Galaxy a5 to encryption for the external SD card. it started the process and continued overnight, next day the phone stopped detecting the SD card. I tried all methods except factory reset like

switched off and on the phone. restarted the phone.
took the SD card out and put it back in
tried using the card on a different phone.

but no phone or the current phone was able to detect the card. let alone read the data in it.
I have not reset my phone to factory default because the internet information states that pretty much rules out ever decrypting the SD card. I tried looking for information on the web but all discussion revolves around cases where the people either formatted the SD card or reset their phones to factory defaults. I have done one of that.
I suspect that low battery might have interrupted the encryption process which never resumed after recharging and turning phone back on or somehow it corrupted the SD card but I am not sure.

so I thought I check with you guys before I bin the card or format it and say bye to my stored data on it.

Anyone come across the Issue I am facing?
so I decided to use the encryption feature provided in my Samsung Galaxy a5 to encryption for the external SD card. it started the process and continued overnight, next day the phone stopped detecting the SD card. I tried all methods except factory reset like

switched off and on the phone. restarted the phone.
took the SD card out and put it back in
tried using the card on a different phone.

but no phone or the current phone was able to detect the card. let alone read the data in it.
I have not reset my phone to factory default because the internet information states that pretty much rules out ever decrypting the SD card. I tried looking for information on the web but all discussion revolves around cases where the people either formatted the SD card or reset their phones to factory defaults. I have done one of that.
I suspect that low battery might have interrupted the encryption process which never resumed after recharging and turning phone back on or somehow it corrupted the SD card but I am not sure.

so I thought I check with you guys before I bin the card or format it and say bye to my stored data on it.
Have you tried reading the card on a Pc/Mac? If it reads shows folder but does not open anything you have a good chance.
  1. Copy all the hidden/unhidden files from SD card onto the machine.
  2. Format the card(default), just like any other drive. At this point SD card will start working as a usable volume.
  3. Plug it back into the same phone (very important) and encrypt again.
  4. Once done, copy the data back on the card from machine.
  5. Put the SD card back in Phone and Enjoy.
If you use a 2nd phone or the phone had been factory reset it will not work. Best of luck

Have you tried reading the card on a Pc/Mac? If it reads shows folder but does not open anything you have a good chance.
  1. Copy all the hidden/unhidden files from SD card onto the machine.
  2. Format the card(default), just like any other drive. At this point SD card will start working as a usable volume.
  3. Plug it back into the same phone (very important) and encrypt again.
  4. Once done, copy the data back on the card from machine.
  5. Put the SD card back in Phone and Enjoy.
If you use a 2nd phone or the phone had been factory reset it will not work. Best of luck
thanks for your explanation.,
question I have is. how to access the SD card on the PC which is currently inside the phone as (external memory) that is unreadable/ undetectable in the phone .
normally attaching the phone with the data cable to the PC opens up the folder in the file explorer on the PC but its not showing the SD card folder or icon. should I try some other adapter or port on a laptop to read that mico memory card?

how to access the SD card on the PC which is currently inside the phone as (external memory) that is unreadable/ undetectable in the phone .
normally attaching the phone with the data cable to the PC opens up the folder in the file explorer on the PC but its not showing the SD card folder or icon. should I try some other adapter or port on a laptop to read that mico memory card?
Try using an mSD adapter in card reader, or an external card reader (that attaches to USB). If neither of those is working, then you can assume you fried your card during the encryption. If you give it to technicians they may still be able to extract some information but can be quite an expensive process.

PS : Some computers have their inbuilt card readers disabled. Make sure it's working using some other card.

thanks for your explanation.,
question I have is. how to access the SD card on the PC which is currently inside the phone as (external memory) that is unreadable/ undetectable in the phone .
The connection via cable won't work. Use a direct reader either the built-in or in-case you don't have you can always buy an external, I believe they are not expensive anymore something similar

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 12.43.45 AM.png

https://www.daraz.pk/products/smart...chlistcategory.list.7.2b2663acxsaH4K&search=1

Never encrypt your sd card without first plugging the phone into a power outlet.
Second always note down the encryption key (if it is displayed by your phone) to ise if things go sideways.
Third if the encryption process is interrupted due to any reason whatsoever, your storage media is screwed & nothing can be recovered.
Third is what has happened to your sd card & why you should always have a cloud backup.
Card ki or data ki fateha parh lein bus.

Back
Top Bottom