What's new

Scientists decide to bury 5,000-year-old lost city in Pakistan

Love that masala they needed to add about terrorists, when has any terrorist ever attacked or even threatened Mohenjo Daro? Even in the article they say the Taliban in Afghanistan is the same group as the TTP in Pakistan, what?!?

Sindh definitely needs to invest money and talent to preserve the site, but it wont ever happen as long as PPP is in power.
Well its the way the west sees it and their perception. They do not know that terrorism wise sindh is relatively peaceful. But the TTP did destroy parts of Butkara ruins in Swat. I learned when I was researching for my book, Badal on the NW and Swat.

Love that masala they needed to add about terrorists, when has any terrorist ever attacked or even threatened Mohenjo Daro? Even in the article they say the Taliban in Afghanistan is the same group as the TTP in Pakistan, what?!?

Sindh definitely needs to invest money and talent to preserve the site, but it wont ever happen as long as PPP is in power.

Unfortunately, when the ordinary and even the educated white man hears "Pakistan" he doesn't associate anything positive with it. Partly it is sheer ignorance and partly negativity fed through their mainstream media. Such negativity has been imprinted very deeply into the white membrane.

I have met white folks who are just in total disbelief upon learning how diverse the Pakistani ethnicities are. When I show them pictures of our people or the beautiful places they just can't believe. Total disbelief and shock is how I would describe their initial reaction. I have seen some shaking no. You know that things are bad when you show something and people start shaking their head in total disbelief. It is like their myths about Pakistan are shattered in one instance.

The Harappa civilization thing is too much for the white man to swallow. It is contrary to what he has been made to believe about Pakistan.

White folks think that Pakistan is an arid desert area where people with beards and guns are living in tents. This is their imagination. They don't have a notion of Pakistan. Not the slightest.

sadly these remains are in pakistan and even worse is that they are in sindh. the zardari and co will even sell the remaining bricks of the site and illegally take over the land.

The Sindh government is the worst out of the lot. We are worried about stone and history being lost. Little children of flesh and blood don't have clean drinking water or proper schools in Sindh. Each day Sindhi children die needlessly. This despite Zardari and his cronies having been in power. It goes to show how incompetent and ugly the elites of Sindh are. The common Sindhis don't stand a chance against their elites. It might sound harsh, but the Sindhis are to be blamed for their fate. Subservience to ignorance is never a good thing.

Last edited:
The Archaeologists should be requested to bury Qaim Ali Shah with it.

If this city had proper drainage system and flushing toilets then they definitely would know how to protect themselves from rising temperature in that region (if the conditions were similar in 2500 BC).

That is a good point but I believe that the location was a lot more lush back then, apparently over time the continual flooding and layering of silt has led to a lot of the area drying up.

Over in Swat Valley and KPK they've done a lot of good work in restoring monuments and taking care of them, so its literally just the Sindh government bringing Mohenjo Daro to ruin. You probably remember Bilawal Bhuttos infamous Mohenjo Daro "preservation rally" that ended up destroying a lot of it, the fact that there was no repercussions show how insincere PPP is about the site.

Well its the way the west sees it and their perception. They do not know that terrorism wise sindh is relatively peaceful. But the TTP did destroy parts of Butkara ruins in Swat. I learned when I was researching for my book, Badal on the NW and Swat.

I tweeted the author and got no response, maybe I should email the organisation but i doubt they would do anything either. This is just plain scaremongering, and is quite irresponsible for any paper, let alone a large one like The Independent.

Sorry to say, but burying again is the riggt move. When you are having concerts on the premises and people scratch theor names into 5000 year old stone, you can be trusted to preserve this treasure. Let fiture generations enjoy it when they develop more sense of what it could meam to Pakistan.

Pakistanis have no respect for the law and discipline and this gets them in problem all over the world..even in Saudi..Pakistanis are worst offenders of every rule..!

Not just this site, shut down everything. You have proven yourself incapable of handling such treasures. Every institution is corrupted, the whole nation needs education and awareness on emergency basis, the govt needs to be rinsed clean of all the ailments and impurities.

Your streets, roads, parks, residential areas, commercial areas are littered. Insensitivity, indifference and non-seriousness reign supreme. You see evil around but you just don't care. There is a long way before Pakistanis can be called a nation and entrusted with such treasures.

Last edited:
The region where Mohenjodaro is located is very hot indeed
"The highest temperature ever recorded in Pakistan is 53.5 °C (128.3 °F) which was recorded in Mohenjo-daro, Sindh on 26 May 2010."

Tourists mess with the ruins, scratch their names in and chip pieces off to take back as souvenirs.
Desi Tourists are the most destructive force on the planet go to any historic site in India and walls have (Bunty loves Bubbly e.g) Written everywhere. I agree with you wholeheartedly. We as Nations need to protect our Ancient heritage

PS Besides the fact they litter like hell. Now Delhi(planes people) tourists come to all hill stations like never before and the garbage has reached mountain size proportions. All the areas I used to holiday as a child and taught by my parents never to litter have become dumps of litter and graffiti (often as advertising)

Last edited:
It is a sign of a dead heart.
It is actually an example extreme ignorance. As Allah clearly mentions in Holy Quran (Ch: 6 - Al An'an, verse: 11)

قُلْ سِيرُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ ثُمَّ انظُرُوا كَيْفَ كَانَ عَاقِبَةُ الْمُكَذِّبِينَ ﴿١١

So it is clear from this verse that we cannot destroy any such ruins rather use as a reminder and warning, so we may even have to preserve them.

Unfortunately, when the ordinary and even the educated white man hears "Pakistan" he doesn't associate anything positive with it. Partly it is sheer ignorance and partly negativity fed through their mainstream media. Such negativity has been imprinted very deeply into the white membrane.

I have met white folks who are just in total disbelief upon learning how diverse the Pakistani ethnicities are. When I show them pictures of our people or the beautiful places they just can't believe. Total disbelief and shock is how I would describe their initial reaction. I have seen some shaking no. You know that things are bad when you show something and people start shaking their head in total disbelief. It is like their myths about Pakistan are shattered in one instance.
Two words: sweeping generalization.

A large number of foreigners I have interacted with, never said anything negative about Pakistan. Some were actually surprised (in a positive way). I tell them good stuff and they believe in it.

We need to take a look at how our media portrays our country to the world at large; not much positivity there.

And yes! Pakistan is plagued with the menace of corruption, terrorism and extremism. This is a reality we cannot ignore and expect others to ignore just because you like to keep your head in the sand.

The Harappa civilization thing is too much for the white man to swallow. It is contrary to what he has been made to believe about Pakistan.

White folks think that Pakistan is an arid desert area where people with beards and guns are living in tents. This is their imagination. They don't have a notion of Pakistan. Not the slightest.
White men coined the term "golden bird" to describe subcontinent during the era of colonization. In modern times, they visit Pakistan, partake in archaeological activities and discover new stuff (for us and the world at large). They even found traces of prehistoric ancestors of whales in Pakistan, discoveries that further advanced the Theory of Evolution.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology/research/pakistan

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/archaeology/mohenjo-daro/

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/the-archaeology-of-south-asia/081F7A92EB62C2575E8BF3486B21080D

The Sindh government is the worst out of the lot. We are worried about stone and history being lost. Little children of flesh and blood don't have clean drinking water or proper schools in Sindh. Each day Sindhi children die needlessly. This despite Zardari and his cronies having been in power. It goes to show how incompetent and ugly the elites of Sindh are. The common Sindhis don't stand a chance against their elites. It might sound harsh, but the Sindhis are to be blamed for their fate. Subservience to ignorance is never a good thing.
So we allow major archaeological discoveries to degrade and fade?

I agree with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom