What's new

SC of India endorses gay marriage, adoption rights

SoulSpokesman

Reaction score
Country
India
Mera desh badal raha hai, aagey badh raha hai. Our Pakistani bros may however thank Jinnah sahib again for saving them from this fahashi

New Delhi:
In a landmark judgment on marriage equality, Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud today said an individual's right to enter into a union cannot be restricted on the basis of sexual orientation. Supporting adoption rights for queer couples, he said there is nothing to probe that only heterosexual couples can provide stability to a child.

Underlining that the five-judge bench hearing the matter has authored four separate judgments, the Chief Justice asked the centre should proceed with a committee it has formed to address practical concerns of same-sex couples, such as getting ration cards, pension, gratuity and succession issues.

The centre had on May 3 told the court that it plans to form a committee headed by a cabinet secretary to explore administrative solution to problems faced by same-sex couples without delving into the marriage equality question.
Choosing a life partner is an integral part of choosing one's course of life, the Chief Justice said. "Some may regard this as the most important decision of their life. This right goes to the root of the right to life and liberty under Article 21," he said.

"The right to enter into union includes the right to choose one's partner and the right to recognition of that union. A failure to recognise such associations will result in discrimination against queer couples," the Chief Justice said, adding, "the right to enter into union cannot be restricted on the basis of sexual orientation".

Disagreeing with the centre's argument that marriage equality is an urban, elite concept, the Chief Justice said, "Queerness is not urban elite. Homosexuality or queerness is not an urban concept or restricted to the upper classes of the society."

Justice Kaul agreed with the Chief Justice that there is a need for an anti-discrimination law.
"Same-sex relationships have been recognised from antiquity, not just for sexual activities but as relationships for emotional fulfilment. I have referred to certain Sufi traditions. I agree with the judgment of the Chief Justice. It is not res integra for a constitutional court to uphold the rights and the court has been guided by the constitutional morality and not social morality. These unions are to be recognised as a union to give partnership and love," he said.

Justice Bhat agreed that queerness is "neither urban nor elitist", but added that he does not agree with the Chief Justice's directions.

"The judgment of the Chief Justice propounded a theory of a unified thread of rights and how lack of recognition violated rights. However, when the law is silence, Article 19(1)(a) does not compel the State to enact a law to facilitate that expression," he said.

Justice Bhat said the court cannot create a legal framework for queer couples and it is for the legislature to do as there are several aspects to be taken into consideration.

Earlier, the Chief Justice disagreed with Justice Bhat's approach. "My learned brother acknowledges the discrimination against the queer couples but does not issue directions. I cannot come to terms with such an approach."

Regards

Mera desh badal raha hai, aagey badh raha hai. Our Pakistani bros may however thank Jinnah sahib again for saving them from this fahashi

New Delhi:
In a landmark judgment on marriage equality, Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud today said an individual's right to enter into a union cannot be restricted on the basis of sexual orientation. Supporting adoption rights for queer couples, he said there is nothing to probe that only heterosexual couples can provide stability to a child.

Underlining that the five-judge bench hearing the matter has authored four separate judgments, the Chief Justice asked the centre should proceed with a committee it has formed to address practical concerns of same-sex couples, such as getting ration cards, pension, gratuity and succession issues.

The centre had on May 3 told the court that it plans to form a committee headed by a cabinet secretary to explore administrative solution to problems faced by same-sex couples without delving into the marriage equality question.
Choosing a life partner is an integral part of choosing one's course of life, the Chief Justice said. "Some may regard this as the most important decision of their life. This right goes to the root of the right to life and liberty under Article 21," he said.

"The right to enter into union includes the right to choose one's partner and the right to recognition of that union. A failure to recognise such associations will result in discrimination against queer couples," the Chief Justice said, adding, "the right to enter into union cannot be restricted on the basis of sexual orientation".

Disagreeing with the centre's argument that marriage equality is an urban, elite concept, the Chief Justice said, "Queerness is not urban elite. Homosexuality or queerness is not an urban concept or restricted to the upper classes of the society."

Justice Kaul agreed with the Chief Justice that there is a need for an anti-discrimination law.
"Same-sex relationships have been recognised from antiquity, not just for sexual activities but as relationships for emotional fulfilment. I have referred to certain Sufi traditions. I agree with the judgment of the Chief Justice. It is not res integra for a constitutional court to uphold the rights and the court has been guided by the constitutional morality and not social morality. These unions are to be recognised as a union to give partnership and love," he said.

Justice Bhat agreed that queerness is "neither urban nor elitist", but added that he does not agree with the Chief Justice's directions.

"The judgment of the Chief Justice propounded a theory of a unified thread of rights and how lack of recognition violated rights. However, when the law is silence, Article 19(1)(a) does not compel the State to enact a law to facilitate that expression," he said.

Justice Bhat said the court cannot create a legal framework for queer couples and it is for the legislature to do as there are several aspects to be taken into consideration.

Earlier, the Chief Justice disagreed with Justice Bhat's approach. "My learned brother acknowledges the discrimination against the queer couples but does not issue directions. I cannot come to terms with such an approach."

Regards
How does accepting gay rights makes you progressed? I mean according to Western standards yes, but more such rights you accept the more gays there will be.
Few days ago a guy with a pen:s identified as She and raped two women. 😆

This is all but confusion.

This will lead to UCC. I love it :dance3:

How does accepting gay rights makes you progressed?
It's called being humane & practical. Also, evolving with time and being a more just and accepting society. That is real progress and the places that have it are the same that Pakistanis fall head over heels to go to (Europe, US, AUS).

The below is regress

1697528870718.png

Last edited:
@Vikramaditya-I

Unfortunately, it cant be otherwise. Law making, on marriages or otherwise, is a prerogative of the legislatures. SC can interpret laws, not make them.

@Areesh bhai

Now India is legally gandu

And what about Pakistan?

Regards

It's called being humane & practical. Also, evolving with time and being a more just and accepting society. That is real progress and the places that have it are the same that Pakistanis fall head over heels to go to (Europe, US, AUS).

The below is regress

Being a gandu is "progress" as per this pajeet

:lol:

@Areesh bhai,

Lets hope Billo becomes PM in 2024

Regards

Looks difficult

Bhagora is favorite of establishment nowadays and coming back after having a deal with them

The below is regress

View attachment 962829
us or europe might be economically ahead but that doesn't mean they are right in everything.

Their and now indian courts logic is based upon the freedom of an individual to do whatever he wants.

But our laws go one step further and protect one's body even from his own self. You cant torture yourself you cant kill yourself. In the same way you cant use a body part for an act it was never built for.

It was a 3:2 decision, same sex marriages weren't legalised.
It was expected, our CJI Chandrachud is very liberal so his support was expected. Anyways centre has no impetus to move forward on this issue as it's not relevant politically or socially in our society. It's great that homosexuality is legalised but recognition of Union and adoption rights would take a while. Society needs to progress for that to happen or we'll just have a big old cultural lag.

Endorses? They've banned it.
Not banned just not recognized at this point

DY Chandrachud

How do you pronounce this name?

This right goes to the root of the right to life and liberty under Article 21

Do such relations bring another human being into or to life?

The need to adopt someone else's offspring simply renders all such relations null, void and unnatural.

These unions are to be recognised as a union to give partnership and love," he said.

How do you legally define and quantify love?

Disagreeing with the centre's argument that marriage equality is an urban, elite concept,

They should really auction viewership to such clown bollywood productions. I like how fate of 1.5bn 'people' is being decided by what can only be described as comedic theatre.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom