What's new

Sangakkara questions ICC Test rankings

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Sangakkara questions ICC Test rankings

Kumar Sangakkara, Sri Lanka's captain, has questioned the way the ICC Test rankings work. He was responding to a query whether the players take seriously a system that has India at No. 1 despite not having won a series in Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka since 1993, and whether that system needs a change.

"You should have asked that question of Haroon [Lorgat, ICC's CEO], who was here a while ago…" Sangakkara said. "If rankings can't be understood by the public, the players, or the administrators, what's the use of having rankings? If you want rankings, they should count towards playing a Test championship.

"Rankings need to be fairly done. A fair FTP is the first step towards having proper rankings. Once every two years each side should play each other at least once, home or away. That's how you get a fair deal when it comes to Test cricket."

Sri Lanka themselves were ranked No. 2 last year without having won a Test in India, Australia and South Africa, a spot they lost after their loss to India in India. About his own side's dismal record in the three countries ranked higher than them, Sangakkara said, "I don't think we have played enough Test cricket away. Two Test matches here, two Test matches there. I think that's not good. We need to play Tests regularly.

"We have a very good balanced attack, pace and spin. From 2006 to 2009 we have done well. We have won in New Zealand, in England, and in Pakistan. South Africa, Australia and India are the three places that we need to win. We need to play often in those places."

The Test rankings, as they stand now, don't give extra weightage to victories away from home, and run over a time of three years, including "all Test series completed since August more than three years ago". The rating points earned or conceded are calculated based on the difference between where the teams stood before the start of the series. For example, if in the ongoing series India beat Sri Lanka, they will gain fewer points than they will concede if they lose the series. Same goes for Australia, who are facing a much lower-ranked Pakistan. Even if Australia end the series 1-1, they will concede three rating points.

The system, though, stands to work well only if the FTP works evenly. For example, if a side spends a year playing only home series, and uses the home advantage to win series against competitive sides, its rating points will tend to misrepresent the strength and quality of the team. India, for example, last played an away Test series more than a year ago, in New Zealand in March 2009.

Sidharth Monga is a staff writer at Cricinfo

No offence but just winning one test against India Sanga is questioning ICC rankings when they themselves didnt win in india..remmember how they were hammered in 2009?
Just waiting to see how India responds to his comments in the remainder of the series..

sir yes these ranking no one is bellieveing in even me remember who is sponsoring them indians reliance who is ICC boss indians and who is dectating the ICC india yes india may have won the test series but india has to do alot to get on top 1 number SA done better srilankans doing better how dhoni every now and than get in tope batsman list and india in 1st i dont agree even commentatorys these days do not mention that much on rankings these are just indian pro what do indian bowlers did but everytime u see indian bowler in test 10 ranking harbhajan might take 5 wickets but u must see other colum to how many runs he have given if indians want to be fair on the ranking each side plays each other twice in 2 years i agree which i dont seee india is india just play zimbabwe and win their test series and win few test and say they want number 1 spot remember few months ago minnows twice beaten you zimbabwe in ODI but india is still in top 3 well even won asia cup hammering from zimbabwe no one given them chance

personally, even I am not satisfied with the current ranking system and the system needs to be changed...

but..are you trying to say that India ison top because ICC is dicated by BCCI or Indian sponsorors ?

sir yes these ranking no one is bellieveing in even me remember who is sponsoring them indians reliance who is ICC boss indians and who is dectating the ICC india yes india may have won the test series but india has to do alot to get on top 1 number SA done better srilankans doing better how dhoni every now and than get in tope batsman list and india in 1st i dont agree

so you mean you do not understand how Dhoni gets to the top batsman rank an how India gets to the top rank ?? well, then its your problem dude..that you dont understand the system...I am not saying the system is correct (as I already mentioned above), but there is a system b which the players reach the top ranks...if Pakistan plays similarly for a long period and Pakistani batsman play like that, then they will move up according to that system, which you do not understand...remember how Australia was holdingthe 1st rank for such a long period...if India was controlling it, it would have removed Australia and gotitself at no 1. in ODi ..isnt it ??

sir yes these ranking no one is bellieveing in even me remember who is sponsoring them indians reliance who is ICC boss indians and who is dectating the ICC india yes india may have won the test series but india has to do alot to get on top 1 number SA done better srilankans doing better how dhoni every now and than get in tope batsman list and india in 1st i dont agree even commentatorys these days do not mention that much on rankings these are just indian pro what do indian bowlers did but everytime u see indian bowler in test 10 ranking harbhajan might take 5 wickets but u must see other colum to how many runs he have given if indians want to be fair on the ranking each side plays each other twice in 2 years i agree which i dont seee india is india just play zimbabwe and win their test series and win few test and say they want number 1 spot remember few months ago minnows twice beaten you zimbabwe in ODI but india is still in top 3 well even won asia cup hammering from zimbabwe no one given them chance

hey! where are full stops and commas????? I am confused about your post.:what::what:

well waqas bhai sorrry anyway but seriousle these voices about ICC incompitancy is coming from all surrenders and they all are right why india get better ranking in T 20 than pakistan

Away and home matches needed to be weighted differently. A win at home should count for less than win away. Similarly, a loss at home should count for more than a loss away.

Last edited:
indian again struggling from the hands of srilanka 249 one down both batsman on 90s india struggle again

Looks like we have a flat pancake on show.

I think I will have to delete my previous post after this match..
The Mighty lankans are crushing BS fellows who are busyn in counting their money..f.....g idiots...:angry:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom