What's new

Samsung unveils a new smartwatch and Galaxy S5

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2014225114625_samaa_tv.jpg

BARCELONA, Spain: Samsung Electronicsunveiled a new smartwatch and fitness band along with the latest version of its Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.

The world's biggest smartphone maker set a trend less than six months ago for wearable devices that link to mobile handsets with its Galaxy Gear watch, which has seen rivals like Sony and Huawei follow in its wake.

The switch in focus also underlines the challenges the South Korean firm is facing. Low-price Chinese rivals are churning out products that look increasingly similar at a time when smartphone sales have started to ease, taking a toll on Samsung's earnings.

To fight back, Samsung is taking a less glitzy marketing approach to control costs. It has also performed a U-turn, abandoning its previous heavy focus on sweeping hardware improvements to highlight more subtle features in its devices and accessories in a bid to appeal to a wider audience.

"With the Galaxy S5, Samsung is going back to basics," JK Shin, co-chief executive and president of Samsung's mobile business, told an audience of Samsung employees, partners and media at the annual Mobile World Congress technology trade show in Barcelona. Samsung will roll out the S5 globally on April 11, with pricing details yet to be disclosed.

"Our consumers do not want eye-popping technology or the most complex technology," he said. Instead, the want beautiful design, a better camera, faster connectivity and technology that would help them keep fit, Shin said.

Market expectations for the new S5, one of Samsung's marquee product launches this year, remain subdued given its comparative lack of innovation.

"The Galaxy S5 has great features and will probably sell well due to massive marketing support," Forrester Research analyst Thomas Husson said. "But is the total product experience it offers differentiated enough to continue the sales success story? Is it enough to bet on fitness and fingerprint sensors to beat Apple - rooting the experience in people's daily lives? I don't think so."

The Galaxy S5, which will be available in April, has a slightly bigger screen than its predecessor, at 5.1 inches compared with 5 inches, improved camera technology and better protection against water and dust, Samsung said.

It also has a fingerprint scanner on the home button, which rival Apple introduced in the iPhone 5S last year. The function can be used to protect data and provide security credentials in a swipe.

"It's very unlikely for the S5 sales to top its predecessor S4's performance during the key initial sales period," said Lee Seung-woo, an analyst at IBK Securities in Seoul. "I think sales would come in fewer than 20 million units in the first three months of the launch."

At a relatively low-key launch event in Barcelona, Samsung also unveiled the Gear 2 smartwatch, which runs on the Tizen operating system rather than Google's Android software, and a stripped-down version called Gear 2 Neo, which doesn't have a camera.

The devices can monitor the wearer's heart rate, a function used in increasingly popular health and fitness apps, or individual programmes.

The Samsung Gear Fit, also targeting the fitness sector, has a heart rate monitor, too, as does the Samsung Galaxy S5 itself, a first for a smartphone, Samsung said.

The Gear Fit has a curved touch-sensitive screen and its features include a pedometer, Samsung said.

Shares in Samsung, Asia's most valuable technology company with a market value of $204 billion, rose 0.6 percent, versus a 0.7 percent gain in the wider market. - REUTERS
Samsung unveils a new smartwatch and Galaxy S5 | SAMAA TV

Samsung is getting old with their ideas...I'm going to upgrade to the new HTC One Two.

Not everyone will feel comfortable with a 5.7 inch monster seriously , just saying .
You are right. My wife has S4 and I use Note 3. However, Note 3's size is sometimes an annoyance, though at other times (taking notes during the meetings, or web browsing etc) it's a blessing.

I am reluctant at adopting newer technology (even though research is my profession). I never wanted to change my old Nokia E72, until my wife 'forcefully' returned me the favor with a Note 3 (I bought her S4 on her birthday). Though I must admit that over the period of time, I have come to admire Note 3, and now I depend on it almost as much as I do on my laptop.

Last edited:
You are right. My wife has S4 and I use Note 3. However, Note 3's size is sometimes an annoyance, though at other times (taking notes during the meetings, or web browsing etc) it's a blessing.

Tell me something , how exactly does it happen that Sony cant quite match the iPhone's camera image and quality despite providing it with the " camera module " ? :D I mean the newer Xperia Z performs worse in low light than the old by today's standards 4S .

Tell me something , how exactly does it happen that Sony cant quite match the iPhone's camera image and quality despite providing it with the " camera module " ? :D I mean the newer Xperia Z performs worse in low light than the old by today's standards 4S .
Though I seldom use camera, but I was surprised to see its result. Both S4 and Note 3 produce excellent quality images. I have heard that iPhone's result is still better than S4 or Note 3. And yes, I am surprised why Sony couldn't get it right with Xperia Z.

They are towing the lines of Apple. Add few features , make screen bigger and Bingo there is go you have new model to make public fool for another year.

G5 is Ugly no doubt ....... Have samsung not seen HTC mobile phone lately .Just look at HTC One that is what is called a class in mobile design.

S5 Vs iPhone 5s, Z2, Nexus 5

Display

Samsung Galaxy S5: 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display with 1920x1080p resolution, 432ppi pixel density

Apple iPhone 5S: 4-inch IPS screen; 1136x640p resolution and pixel density of 326ppi

Sony Xperia Z2: 5.2-inch Triluminous display with Live Colour LED and X-Reality technologies; 1920x1080p resolution, 424ppi pixel density

Google Nexus 5: 4.95-inch True HD+ IPS display with 1920x1080p resolution, 445ppi pixel density

Samsung Galaxy S4: 5-inch Super AMOLED display with 1920x1080p resolution, 441ppi pixel density

Operating system
Samsung Galaxy S5: Android 4.4 (KitKat), layered with TouchWiz UI

Apple iPhone 5S: iOS 7

Sony Xperia Z2: Android 4.4 (KitKat), topped with Xperia UI

Google Nexus 5: Android 4.4 (KitKat)

Samsung Galaxy S4: Android 4.4 (KitKat), with TouchWiz UI on top

Processor & RAM
Samsung Galaxy S5: 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB RAM

Apple iPhone 5S: 1.3GHz dual-core A7 chipset, 1GB RAM

Sony Xperia Z2: 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 chip, 3GB RAM

Google Nexus 5: 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB RAM

Samsung Galaxy S4: 1.6GHz eight-core Exynos processor, 2GB RAM

Storage
Samsung Galaxy S5: 16 and 32GB internal storage, 64GB microSD card support

Apple iPhone 5S: 16, 32 and 64GB built-in storage

Sony Xperia Z2: 16GB inbuilt storage, expandable up to 64GB via microSD card

Google Nexus 5: 16 and 32GB internal storage

Samsung Galaxy S4: 16, 32 and 64GB storage options, 64GB microSD card support

Camera
Samsung Galaxy S5: 16MP rear camera with LED flash; 2MP front camera

Apple iPhone 5S: 8MP rear camera with dual-LED True Tone flash; 1.2MP front camera

Sony Xperia Z2: 20.7MP camera with LED flash on the back; 2.2MP front camera

Google Nexus 5: 8MP rear camera with LED flash, 1.3MP front camera

Samsung Galaxy S4: 13MP camera with LED flash on the back, 2MP front camera

Connectivity
Samsung Galaxy S5: 2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, microUSB 3.0, Infrared

Apple iPhone 5S: 2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Lightning adapter, AirDrop

Sony Xperia Z2: 2G, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 2.0, NFC

Google Nexus 5 2G, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 2.0, NFC

Samsung Galaxy S4: 2G, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 2.0, Infrared, NFC

Battery
Samsung Galaxy S5: 2,800mAh

Apple iPhone 5S: 1,560mAh

Sony Xperia Z2: 3,200mAh

Google Nexus 5: 2,300mAh

Samsung Galaxy S4: 2,600mAh

Additional features
Samsung Galaxy S5: Fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, water-resistant, dust-proof, 50GB free Dropbox storage, 4K (movie hall quality) video recording

Apple iPhone 5S: Touch ID fingerprint scanner, 64-bit processor, 5GB free iCloud storage

Sony Xperia Z2: Water-resistant, dust-proof, shatter-proof and scratch resistant body, 4K video recording, slow motion video recording, improved noise cancellation

Google Nexus 5: Fast access to latest Android updates

Samsung Galaxy S4: 50GB free Dropbox storage

@Aeronaut @WebMaster could we have S5 related discussions in one thread?

Last edited:
There's turning out to be very little room for improvement in phones these days. All the hardware features needed by most users are standard, and with android, there's not much to offer on the software end either. Design options are limited as most of the front space is needed for the screen. So companies are simply installing faster hardware, bigger screens and unreasonably high megapixels to sell.

I really just want the flip Razr back.

Not everyone will feel comfortable with a 5.7 inch monster seriously , just saying .
I agree. I had note 2 and although you enjoy surfing internet and watching videos and playing games on bigger screen but its not pocket friendly and for one hand operation like typing and holding with one hand ..I dropped it many times when i was in rush so my next phone will be s5 or Lg g2 in next month upgrade..phone should have maximum 5 inch screen and after that it would become tablet

If people want to buy very decent phone in low price then they should go for moto G..brilliant phone with incredible low price

meh, waiting for a real upgrade to happen in the cell phone market. So far all I see is the same product rehashed with slightly "better" features. For the amount of money these phones cost, i expect real results, not some half baked crap.

note 3 way better

I'm so lusting after that phone!! :woot:

Very true! Some people like a phone with big screen (like myself) and there are some that like a phone with a smaller screen. All about personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom