What's new

Saarc satellite move puts Bangladesh in a dilemma

OK thanks for the info. Yes i meant transponders obv, not bands. It was a typo. I worked in remote sensing industry for a couple years, but not specifically comms satellite.

Do you have a link where the BTRC gave the estimate of 2/3 of Ku transponder usage? (So 16 with 8 left over for time being)

And yes there are plenty of instances where comms birds have been fully subscribed for transponder usage from multiple clients well before launch. It is quite standard in well developed markets, so I was wondering if anyone has already approached Bangladesh with some interest in this.

You can check the BTRC website though i doubt you'll find much info....a BD gov site never gets updated. I went to the last project meeting in 2015 but i'm not part of the team as we didn't succeed in the tender. If I can recall the BTRC were in talks with a number of other countries (mainly the central asian republics and the Phillipines) but where that process went I have no idea. BTRC is a BD gov body, its unlikely they will actively market any extra band...

In our talks it never came across as a commercial project, rather it was a project with a few ministerial backing. Oh its not 16 Ku transponders used and 8 unused, is a add mix of various Ku/C with the 6.5kw power spread over. Thales had the best backing for the tender, way things work in BD....

But you gained zero experience in satellite building and launch with the current one.

This will be a brand new satellite to be designed and manufactured with the collaboration with BTRC, so we will gain some experience.

It's not a bus, once put in a geostationary orbit correctly, it just rotates, and geostationary satellites requires very little adjustments to keep it in its orbit.

Satellites need receiver ground stations to operate, idiot.

Credible weather forecasting abilities need much more than a satellite, Bangladesh is currently using Indian weather forecasting systems, you are not making your own system anytime soon.

The satellite will be used for disaster management efforts, so we will gradually be developing weather forecasting capabilities.

Satellites need receiver ground stations to operate, idiot.

Don't use such language. A receiver ground station for receiving signals from a communications satellite is not a ground breaking technology, you could have it even with a SAARC satellite. All I was talking about was the high cost of Bangabondhu-1 and 'return on investment' on it, while Bangladesh gains little in terms of technology. No need to reply if you can't talk in a civil manner.

Don't use such language. A receiver ground station for receiving signals from a communications satellite is not a ground breaking technology, you could have it even with a SAARC satellite. All I was talking about was the high cost of Bangabondhu-1 and 'return on investment' on it, while Bangladesh gains little in terms of technology. No need to reply if you can't talk in a civil manner.

That third rate SAARC satellite is of no use for us as explained in this thread. Bangabandhu-1 satellite will be a brand new satellite to be designed and manufactured with the collaboration of BTRC. We also had to buy an orbital slot from Russia for the satellite. This is why the cost is so high. The return will be achieved within 6 years as per government estimates.

This will be a brand new satellite to be designed and manufactured with the collaboration with BTRC, so we will gain some experience.

Whats that even mean? Thales-Alenia is using one of its pre-designed bus. Its like they are basically running another one off the assembly line. Thats why you are paying them. Is "collaboration" a fancy way of saying that? There is certainly no satellite designing or manufacturing going on in Bangladesh (or maybe there could be some student projects in university I dunno).

Whats that even mean? Thales-Alenia is using one of its pre-designed bus. Its like they are basically running another one off the assembly line. Thats why you are paying them. Is "collaboration" a fancy way of saying that? There is certainly no satellite designing or manufacturing going on in Bangladesh (or maybe there could be some student projects in university I dunno).

Not really, it's not off the assembly line, will be designed per the recommendations of BTRC, definitely our experts will be there.

That third rate SAARC satellite is of no use for us as explained in this thread. Bangabandhu-1 satellite will be a brand new satellite to be designed and manufactured with the collaboration of BTRC. We also had to buy an orbital slot from Russia for the satellite. This is why the cost is so high. The return will be achieved within 6 years as per government estimates.

What does that even mean? SAARC satellite is of no use to you because you have already contracted your B-1 satellite. Otherwise SAARC satellite will also be brand new and do the same job.

Not really, it's not off the assembly line, will be designed per the recommendations of BTRC, definitely our experts will be there.

How come your 'experts' will be there when you have zero expertise in making satellites and launching then?

Basically all the competitors sent you a bunch of brochures with their products and prices including what the customisation options are.

I looked up the bus for this satellite, its the spacebus 4000....so it was on a brochure/presentation along with a table of how much a specific transponder arrangement would cost (likewise other companies would have presented the same).

Thermal management, power, structural design, compatibility, coms suite, avionics, propulsion....everything is already frozen when Alenia first developed this model from its spacebus family....there is nothing Bangladesh can contribute there.

At most BTRC evaluated the options and pricing and chose what it thought is best. I doubt there is any special training even for BTRC techs for the ground station since this is pretty much the same as having a typical radio transmitter broadcast (cept its microwave)...just it will be up in space and you will be handling a larger volume of data transfer so the ground systems will be a bit more comprehensive (and I really dont know much about that particular part and what is exactly covered in the support clauses of the contract signed with Thales).

Last edited:
Basically all the competitors sent you a bunch of brochures with their products and prices including what the customisation options are.

I looked up the bus for this satellite, its the spacebus 4000....so it was on a brochure/presentation along with a table of how much a specific transponder arrangement would cost (likewise other companies would have presented the same).

Thermal management, power, structural design, compatibility, coms suite, avionics, propulsion....everything is already frozen when Alenia first developed this model from its spacebus family....there is nothing Bangladesh can contribute there.

At most BTRC evaluated the options and pricing and chose what it thought is best. I doubt there is any special training even for BTRC techs for the ground station since this is pretty much the same as having a typical radio transmitter broadcast (cept its microwave)...just it will be up in space and you will be handling a larger volume of data transfer so the ground systems will be a bit more comprehensive (and I really dont know much about that particular part and what is exactly covered in the support clauses of the contract signed with Thales).

What I said is BTRC officials will be involved with manufacturing and launching process of the satellite, so definitely we will gain some experience on this technology.

BTRC officials have been receiving training since 2008 on this technology.

What I said is BTRC officials will be involved with manufacturing and launching process of the satellite, so definitely we will gain some experience on this technology.

BTRC officials have been receiving training since 2008 on this technology.

I don't see what manufacturing expertise a telecoms operation like BTRC (that too more of a regulator than anything else: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Telecommunication_Regulatory_Commission) can pick up from the likes of Thales.

For that you need an advanced electronics company in Bangladesh that is comfortable with high end PCB, designing and assembling chipset and testing niche applications thermally etc...so that what is "learned" can actually be "transferred" and not just nodding as you walk down the shop floor of Thales if they even let you visit that.

Now if you have evidence and details of which Bangladeshi companies were involved since 2008, I am all ears. BTRC is definitely not an electronics manufacturer or a high end research commission.

And no idea what you mean about involved in "launching process"? Some BTRC officials will be watching the launch from French Guiana?

I don't see what manufacturing expertise a telecoms operation like BTRC (that too more of a regulator than anything else: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Telecommunication_Regulatory_Commission) can pick up from the likes of Thales.

For that you need an advanced electronics company in Bangladesh that is comfortable with high end PCB, designing and assembling chipset and testing niche applications thermally etc...so that what is "learned" can actually be "transferred" and not just nodding as you walk down the shop floor of Thales if they even let you visit that.

Now if you have evidence and details of which Bangladeshi companies were involved since 2008, I am all ears. BTRC is definitely not an electronics manufacturer or a high end research commission.

And no idea what you mean about involved in "launching process"? Some BTRC officials will be watching the launch from French Guiana?

No they won't let us visit, Thales only allow the stinky Vedic people. :lol:

BTRC has formed a separate company along with the partnership of SPARRSO (the national space agency) for the operation of this satellite and others that will be launched in future. Officials of this company is overseeing this project.

Last edited:
No they won't let us visit, Thales only allow the stinky Vedic people. :lol:

BTRC has formed a separate company along with the partnership of SPARRSO (the national space agency) for the operation of this satellite and others that will be launched in future. Officials of this company is overseeing this project.

Ignoring your jibe which I have reported...satellite operations from the ground stations have nothing to do with being involved in the "manufacturing" and "launch" beyond which I already described.

Of course, so?

So you still have not clearly explained/given sources what you mean by BTRC being "involved" with the manufacturing and launch process since 2008 (or training or whatever)....when its a regulatory commision.

So you still have not clearly explained/given sources what you mean by BTRC being "involved" with the manufacturing and launch process since 2008....when its a regulatory commision.

Okay let me repeat, BTRC has formed a separate company along with SPARRSO (the national space agency). This company is overseeing the entire project and all the projects involving future satellites.

BTRC experts (perhaps also officials of that company) have been receiving training on this purpose from various sources since 2008.

The officials of 'that company' will be involved with manufacturing and launching of the satellites.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom