Russia to help Pakistan build N-power plants

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Russia to help Pakistan build N-power plants

By: Maqbool Malik | Published: March 28, 2009

ISLAMABAD - The Russian Federation and Peoples Republic of China have decided to bail out Pakistan from the constraints, relating to establishing the new nuclear power plants, for meeting the country’s pressing energy needs.
TheNation has learnt reliably from diplomatic sources that Moscow and Beijing have decided to offer its cooperation to Islamabad in setting up new nuclear power plants to meet Pakistan’s growing energy needs. The sources also said that Russia-China offer contains the conditions that the nuclear power plants, offered to Pakistan, should be set up under the supervision and in collaboration with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

The offer, the sources said, would help Pakistan seek technical cooperation from the world’s nuclear supplier groups on the pattern of Indo-US cooperation that gave New Delhi freedom to seek help from international nuclear suppliers in the recent past.

The Nation | The Nation is the most credible of English Newspapers in Pakistan.

wtf russia helping us of all countries i thought they hated us ??
........not that i mind seems fair enough we need the energy.

Which part of Pakistan are they being built in?

I can't imagine what would happen if the terrorists decided to target one of these plants...

wtf russia helping us of all countries i thought they hated us ??
........not that i mind seems fair enough we need the energy.
Russians never hated us, we made them hate us by going into US's lap. It were we who got ourselves into useless SETO and CENTO agreements, it were we who allowed US to use our airbase and airspace to spy over Russia. Infact Russians helped us buidling our first (and the only) Steel Mills during Z.A. Bhutto's time. To bad we didn't play our cards well, and got ourself sink into a US proxy war with Russia in 1979. I also dont agree with the so called 'warm water theory', If Russians ever wanted to capture Balochistan, they could have done so during 1971, the most valnurable time in the history of Pakistan and probably the peak time of the USSR power. Who was going to stop them? Americans?

Last edited:

I can't imagine what would happen if the terrorists decided to target one of these plants...
They can't.All Nuclear Reactors zone are heavily protected, and no fly zone.No Air Craft or any person can get near nuclear reactors without Army permission.Nuclear Plants are heavily guarded by Army (Not Regular Police so impossible to attack Nuclear Reactor).Even our EX-Pm was not allowed to visit Nuclear Reactor Plants so you can imagine how secure it is.

Last edited:
Wow. If the news is considered to be true, wouldn't it be a massive blow to Indian foreign policy which wants Pakistan to be isolated specially with countries where India holds influence such as Russia.
But anyhow a g8 news. We definitely need energy and what better way then to build nuclear power plants for that purpose. However i would add that the condition of bringing it under the supervision of the IAEA is a bit over reaction and unjustified, our electricity producing plants are already under IAEA supervision, there was no need to bring it in the contract or impose as a condition.

Thats great news. I hope Pakistan works on improving ties with Russia.

Great News

Its time to develop strategik ties with Russia .
US friendship provided us nothing but some conditional aid and long needed F-16s which rot in the sahara due to Presller Amendements.
These Plants could solve energy crises in Pakistan.

civilian nuclear energy should be made available for all to enjoy...too bad that the rich few hold all the power through the nsg...a good development for pakistan....the ruskies need money..their economy is rolling backwards...lets see how the yanks react to this...

I dont think Pakistan is dumb enough to build them on the Pak-Afghan border where CIA/RAW send terrorists into Pakistan to bomb innocent Pakistanis.

Nuke energy is the way to go in the future once the Coal is finished , it'll surely help reduce the power deficit in Pak.

Pkaistan is not all abt terrirosm n terririost mate, :hitwall: certainly good things happen but you dont want to see them:pakistan:

Great to hear about this, I hope Pakistan can extend its ties with Russia, this certainly is a good step in the right direction. :tup:

civilian nuclear energy should be made available for all to enjoy...too bad that the rich few hold all the power through the nsg...a good development for pakistan....the ruskies need money..their economy is rolling backwards...lets see how the yanks react to this...

There is nothing the yanks can do about it, why because they have no influence over Russia, heck they couldn't even stop the Russians from delivering it to Iran who under UN sanctions for its disputed and controversial nuclear program, Pakistan is a different case and as far as exerting influence over Pakistan is concerned, well in this particular field they lost it when they refused to offer Pakistan the same deal India got, Pakistan in this field does not take any dictations, not even the pro western governments and we have seen it when Zardari went to China for the same.

Back
Top Bottom