What's new

Russia to Hand Over ‘Black Hole’ Sub to Vietnam in November

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
173735095.jpg

MOSCOW, July 29 (RIA Novosti) – The first of six Russian submarines, dubbed by the US Navy as “black holes in the ocean” because they are nearly undetectable when submerged, will be delivered to Vietnam in November, the shipbuilder said Monday.
The Varshavyanka class (Project 636M) of diesel-electric submarines have very low noise emission and can hit targets at long distances without being detected by an enemy’s anti-submarine warfare assets.

“We are expecting the signing of the acceptance act and the sub’s sailing to Vietnam in November,” the press service of Admiralty Shipyards said from St. Petersburg.
The submarine successfully completed 100-day sea trials in July while the Vietnamese crew has been in training since April this year, the shipbuilder said in a statement.
“The vessel showed excellent maneuverability and reliable work of all mechanisms during the trials,” the statement said.

Vietnam ordered a fleet of six Russian-made submarines in 2009, seen as an effort to counterbalance China’s expanding maritime influence in the region. The contract, which also stipulates the training of Vietnamese submarine crews in Russia, is reportedly worth $2 billion.
All six boats are being built at Admiralty Shipyards. They are due for delivery by 2016.
The Varshavyanka class is an improvement on the Kilo, with more advanced stealth technology and an extended combat range. The vessels displace 3,100 tons, reach speeds of 20 knots, can dive to 300 meters and carry crews of 52 people.

The submarines, which feature 533-milimeter torpedo tubes and are armed with torpedoes, mines and Kalibr 3M54 (NATO SS-N-27 Sizzler) cruise missiles, are mainly intended for anti-shipping and anti-submarine missions in relatively shallow waters.

6s are a good beginning, but we need more subs.

You'll get them.

But simultaneously it is important to become an economic power.

Your government should emphasize on manufacturing industry especially low cost manufacture.

The idea is that with China's wages increasing, manufacturers are looking for countries that can manufacture in massive quantities with lower wages.

While it might look wrong that there's exploitation to some extent, at least many people will get jobs who were sitting unemployed.

Also, Vietnam must increase its trade with us and the rest of Asia for better economy.

We Indians welcome a strong and stable Vietnam. :tup:

20 would be a good number, with an equal number of Russian and Western submarines.

However Vietnam would get it in due time.

hey how about we order some of this class of subs
these are good subs & can be delivered on time if we do not insist on Made in India tag

these are good subs & can be delivered on time if we do not insist on Made in India tag

But we must insist on Made in India tags.
And farm out those contracts to private shipyards...the only reason everything takes long is that the govt shipyards are building for the Navy.

20 would be a good number, with an equal number of Russian and Western submarines.
we need more modern subs from Russia. Hopefully Japan will scrap the postwar constitution soon and deliver us with some modern toys. My favorite is Sōryū class.

800px-Hakuryu-130412-N-LS794-166.jpg

we need more modern subs from Russia. Hopefully Japan will scrap the postwar constitution soon and deliver us with some modern toys. My favorite is Sōryū class.

Yes, I will coming, just wait a little more ... :D

20 would be too much, bro. 6 is enough for 2020, 10 is good number.

Do not expect weapons from Japan anytime soon.

They are not going to be giving out weapons because US will tell them not to even if it means fighting China.

Japanese have still not come out of that fear of what happened to them and you can't blame them considering that they're the only country that was nuked on the planet, while they themselves couldn't nuke USA in retaliation.

Russia makes some of the finest submarines in the world and has an excellent shipping and marine warfare military industry. They sell it for reasonable price and are strategically reliable as you must know being a Viet.

But first, build your economy simultaneously.

Once you're an economic power, no one will dare to hit you hard.

And forget service industry; we Indians made that mistake.

Focus on manufacturing.

The Varshavyanka class is basically an improved Kilo Class. Indian Navy's Sindhughosh class subs after undergoing up gradation is pretty much at par with Varshavyanka class.

These expensive ships will be a 'black hole' in the Vietnamese budget. I accept that Vietnam needs defence procurements for the SCS but Vietnam's traditional strength is not in operating these expensive toys - yet. It would be much cheaper to develop economy then to domestically build these in the future.

Guerilla warfare in the ocean can only be conducted with submarine. Submarine is very difficult to detect unlike surface warship.

6s are a good beginning, but we need more subs.
I'll be very surprised if we buy more before 2020.

Yes, I will coming, just wait a little more ... :D

20 would be too much, bro. 6 is enough for 2020, 10 is good number.
A good number would be twice the number of the South Sea Fleet's subs; in order to make up for the lack of surface combatants.

These expensive ships will be a 'black hole' in the Vietnamese budget. I accept that Vietnam needs defence procurements for the SCS but Vietnam's traditional strength is not in operating these expensive toys - yet. It would be much cheaper to develop economy then to domestically build these in the future.
if we wait until Vietnam economy is developed and people are rich, there is probably no Vietnam more to be defended.

Back
Top Bottom