What's new

Russia offers to build Project 11356 Frigates in India’s Shipyards

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
Russia offers to build Project 11356 frigates in India’s shipyards
8655968577_cff111c24c_b.jpg

Russia has made the proposal to India that Project 11356 frigates with improved performance be built in the shipyards of that country. This was reported in an interview by Vladimir Ereshenko, the head of the regional department of Rosoboronexport, with RIA Novosti.

He headed the Rosoboronexport delegation in the LIMA’15 arms exhibition held in late March in Langkawi (Malaysia).

“We presented an offer to the Indian side regarding the construction in local shipyards of additional Project 11356 frigates with improved tactical and technical properties,” said Ereshenko.

According to him, these offers are currently being considered by the customer. “Technical negotiations will be held on this theme in the near future,” said the department head.

He emphasized that Project 11356 frigates have worked well for the Indian Navy: “There is a need for ships of this class. That is why building another series in India would be a completely logical step.”

Russia has supplied India with six Project 11356 ships between 2003 and 2013. These were built at the “Baltic” factory in Saint Petersburg and the Kaliningrad “Amber” factory. The first three ships have the Russian Club-N cruise missile complex on board while the next three frigates are armed with BrahMos cruise missiles of Russian-Indian manufacture.

Россия предложила Индии построить на ее верфях фрегаты 11356 | РИА Новости

Let's take the offer then.

But Do we have any space for the ships in our existing shipyards?

Looking at the number of projects IN is engaged in, I have a feeling that we will need at least 4-5 more shipbuilding facilities to justify our expansion.

MDL,GRSE, HSL or PSL etc should form JVs with Yantar and other Shipbuilders to actually open new facilities and increase shipbuilding capabilities.

Russia offers to build Project 11356 frigates in India’s shipyards
8655968577_cff111c24c_b.jpg

Russia has made the proposal to India that Project 11356 frigates with improved performance be built in the shipyards of that country. This was reported in an interview by Vladimir Ereshenko, the head of the regional department of Rosoboronexport, with RIA Novosti.

He headed the Rosoboronexport delegation in the LIMA’15 arms exhibition held in late March in Langkawi (Malaysia).

“We presented an offer to the Indian side regarding the construction in local shipyards of additional Project 11356 frigates with improved tactical and technical properties,” said Ereshenko.

According to him, these offers are currently being considered by the customer. “Technical negotiations will be held on this theme in the near future,” said the department head.

He emphasized that Project 11356 frigates have worked well for the Indian Navy: “There is a need for ships of this class. That is why building another series in India would be a completely logical step.”

Russia has supplied India with six Project 11356 ships between 2003 and 2013. These were built at the “Baltic” factory in Saint Petersburg and the Kaliningrad “Amber” factory. The first three ships have the Russian Club-N cruise missile complex on board while the next three frigates are armed with BrahMos cruise missiles of Russian-Indian manufacture.

Россия предложила Индии построить на ее верфях фрегаты 11356 | РИА Новости
Hilarious! The SOLE REASON the IN is interested in more Project 11356 frigates is that Indian shipyards are full to capacity for the next 4-5 years and thus having the frigates built abroad would ensure quicker delivery. The P-17A is a far more capable product that will be built in India but it will only be entering service in 2022, by offering to produce the 11356 in India the Russians have taken away the one advantage their offer had.

If I am not w wrong then India wants these 3 ships to be built in Russian shipyard.

Indian shipyards(PSU's) are full for now, i think they want private shipyards to build these ships for the navy...........

Hilarious! The SOLE REASON the IN is interested in more Project 11356 frigates is that Indian shipyards are full to capacity for the next 4-5 years and thus having the frigates built abroad would ensure quicker delivery. The P-17A is a far more capable product that will be built in India but it will only be entering service in 2022, by offering to produce the 11356 in India the Russians have taken away the one advantage their offer had.

A sarcastic quote: "Russians would offer us a flying bathtub if they had one, and would offer full ToT on it too, provided we bought the water from them that is"

I don't know what to make of it. Was it sarcasm, or was there some deeper meaning attached to it? Or maybe he just liked bathtubs, he definitely did like flying....

A sarcastic quote: "Russians would offer us a flying bathtub if they had one, and would offer full ToT on it too, provided we bought the water from them that is"

I don't know what to make of it. Was it sarcasm, or was there some deeper meaning attached to it? Or maybe he just liked bathtubs, he definitely did like flying....
we already have 6 talwar class frigates and because soon our navy is going to retire 3 ganga class frigates.......we need something to replace with these ships......they are going to replace 3 ganga class frigates........

we already have 6 talwar class frigates and because soon our navy is going to retire 3 ganga class frigates.......we need something to replace with these ships......they are going to replace 3 ganga class frigates........

Oh I do not doubt the need for more Krivaks. My apologies if you think I was trivializing the issue at hand. I was really just sharing a comment made by a recently retired Air force officer.

But that aside, home made Krivaks isn't something Russia is offering out of some newly acquired (or should I say requisitioned) benevolence. ToT tranfer, training of engineers, workers, shipment of critical equipment (which, have no doubt, will have to be sourced from the Russians) all will add to the costs of the Krivak over and above the construction cost.

In short, you'll have 1 'indigenous' Krivak at perhaps 1.2-1.5x the cost of an 'imported' Krivak. And that extra expense goes straight as profits into the foreign pockets. Smart, ain't it?

Personally I don't have a problem with this. But I will have a problem if the costs of the 'indigenous' Krivaks match or exceed that of the P17A. That would be an unnecessary expenditure. Better go for more P17As if that happens is my contention.

Oh I do not doubt the need for more Krivaks. My apologies if you think I was trivializing the issue at hand. I was really just sharing a comment made by a recently retired Air force officer.

But that aside, home made Krivaks isn't something Russia is offering out of some newly acquired (or should I say requisitioned) benevolence. ToT tranfer, training of engineers, workers, shipment of critical equipment (which, have no doubt, will have to be sourced from the Russians) all will add to the costs of the Krivak over and above the construction cost.

In short, you'll have 1 'indigenous' Krivak at perhaps 1.2-1.5x the cost of an 'imported' Krivak. And that extra expense goes straight as profits into the foreign pockets. Smart, ain't it?

Personally I don't have a problem with this. But I will have a problem if the costs of the 'indigenous' Krivaks match or exceed that of the P17A. That would be an unnecessary expenditure. Better go for more P17As if that happens is my contention.
even i would like to replace the old ganga class frigates with shivalik class and that to modified ones it would cost us around $450 million per piece and also expect more frigates in coming years to support CBG's and SSN's too.......at least 4 per CBG and india is planning 6 CBG's by 2040...........

I am fed up with this propaganda that Indian Shipyards are fully packed with orders.
Do you know order book of HSL, ABG , L&T & Pipavav Shipyards ?

It may not so much be that Indian yard were/are full per se, but at the time the Talwear's were ordered, the need for ships was pressing and P15A and P17 were progressing more slowly (esp 15A, due to weapons and system changes) than planned. You can't clear a yard.

It should be considered, aside from capability what the price of a unit does to numbers that can be afforded and how the tempo of building one ship here or another there affects planning. Building 11356 is routine now.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom