What's new

Rio Tinto Chinese men betrayed their own nation: Stern Hu case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rio Tinto official admits taking bribe: report

K J M Varma

Beijing, Mar 22 (PTI) An official of the Anglo- Australian mining giant Rio Tinto today admitted in a Chinese court that he took nearly USD one million bribe in a case that has sparked a diplomatic row between Beijing and Canberra.

Australian Premier Kevin Rudd warned that the world will be watching China very closely, as Beijing today began the trial of four employees - Australian Stern Hu and three Chinese colleagues - who are facing bribery and commercial espionage charges in the eastern city of Shanghai.

"The world will be watching very closely," Rudd said in Sydney, adding "The Australian government will be monitoring the trial very carefully."

Tom Connor, the Australian consul-general in Shanghai who attended the court session said Hu had "made some admissions" on the bribery matters, BBC reported.

He "did acknowledge the truth of some of those bribery amounts", he said.

fullstory

Rio Tinto official admits taking bribe: Report

BEIJING: An official of the Anglo-Australian mining giant Rio Tinto today admitted in a Chinese court that he took nearly USD one million bribe in a case that has sparked a diplomatic row between Beijing and Canberra.

Australian Premier Kevin Rudd warned that the world will be watching China very closely, as Beijing today began the trial of four employees - Australian Stern Hu and three Chinese colleagues - who are facing bribery and commercial espionage charges in the eastern city of Shanghai.

"The world will be watching very closely," Rudd said in Sydney, adding "The Australian government will be monitoring the trial very carefully."

Tom Connor, the Australian consul-general in Shanghai who attended the court session said Hu had "made some admissions" on the bribery matters, BBC reported.

He "did acknowledge the truth of some of those bribery amounts", he said.

Connor said Hu was accused of taking bribes of 1 million yuan ($146,000) and $790,000, but he did not give any details.

The trial of the four who were arrested in July last year, is due to last three days.

Rio Tinto's chief executive, Tom Albanese, said that the company remained committed to strengthening ties with China.

Stern Hu was Rio Tinto's lead negotiator in the talks with Chinese steel mills to try to settle a price for China to buy iron ore from Australian mining companies.

He and three of his Chinese colleagues - Liu Caikui, Ge Minqiang and Wang Yong - have been held in detention since July 5 last year.

Apparently at least one of Hu's colleagues also admitted taking bribes. The four were charged with commercial espionage and bribery.

The charge for espionage is punishable by up to seven years in prison and lengthy term for bribes.

The case was "obviously of great concern to us. We can only say we respectfully await the outcome of the Chinese legal process," Albanese was quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency.

The world's second-largest iron ore supplier's ties with China could be traced back 50 years as it had provided aluminium to China in the 1960s, Albanese said at the China Development Forum 2010 in Beijing.

It was a "pity" that his company lost a chance to forge a strategic partnership with Chinese state-owned aluminium producer Chinalco last year, Xinhua reported.

Rio Tinto official admits taking bribe: Report - China - World - The Times of India

Stern Hu, you just forgot China is your Mother.
:angry:

Execute this traitor. :angry:

Hu was an employee of Rio tino that did his best to negotiate a good price for the company that employed him.
If a Chinese employee is expected to place the benifit to China of any deal he is asked to negotiate above the benifits of the person that has employed him or be regarded as a traitor and arrested then there would be only one solution, never hire anyone from China because you know they place the CCP above the people paying their wage.

If the case was reversed and an Australian employed by a Chinese steel mill did his best to obtain an accurate picture of Rio Tinto's negotiating position would you be demanding his arrest and trial in Australia?

A chinese executive in western company is not easy to attain (or Keep!). He made his choice and down on luck that it was found out.

regards

Hu was an employee of Rio tino that did his best to negotiate a good price for the company that employed him.
If a Chinese employee is expected to place the benifit to China of any deal he is asked to negotiate above the benifits of the person that has employed him or be regarded as a traitor and arrested then there would be only one solution, never hire anyone from China because you know they place the CCP above the people paying their wage.

If the case was reversed and an Australian employed by a Chinese steel mill did his best to obtain an accurate picture of Rio Tinto's negotiating position would you be demanding his arrest and trial in Australia?

thats fine until it comes to industrial espionage. he got caught, he does the time. its that simple, this is not a political problem, this is an economic problem.

This case was heard behind closed doors, he was kept in confinement without proper legal aid and who knows what kind of duress he in under.
Communist I dont think you have any idea about how business in conducted in your own country. Unfortunately corruption and bribes are par of the of business culture. A lot of multi nationals will be watching this case closely. From my money this has political stench written all over it. Some big wigs in China were pissed at some recent merger and take over proposals being rejected by Australia.
Even Australian officials were refused access to Stern Hu.
Just like the pro China mandarin speaking Australian Prime Minister said the other day "China has a court system like nothing else in the world"

BTW your middle caption is incorrect, the 2 other people in that photo are former Australian Prime Ministers not economists.

Maybe you should post something from a Google search engine, oh wait, ooops not possible to get unbiased news out of China anymore.

If this was the Ming Dynasty days, Stern would probably have been hanged and his head paraded on a pike.

So be lucky he'll be living in a prison at our taxpayer expense.

This case was heard behind closed doors, he was kept in confinement without proper legal aid and who knows what kind of duress he in under.
Communist I dont think you have any idea about how business in conducted in your own country. Unfortunately corruption and bribes are par of the of business culture. A lot of multi nationals will be watching this case closely. From my money this has political stench written all over it. Some big wigs in China were pissed at some recent merger and take over proposals being rejected by Australia.
Just like the pro China mandarin speaking Australian Prime Minister said the other day "China has a court system like nothing else in the world"

BTW your middle caption is incorrect, the 2 other people in that photo are former Australian Prime Ministers not economists.

Maybe you should post something from a Google search engine, oh wait, ooops not possible to get unbiased news out of China anymore.

I don't think he is a traitor to his mother land. he hold the Australian citizenship. so his motherland is Australian.

However. he was convicted of business espionage by the law of People's republic of china. He and his colleagues bribe officials of China's State-owned Steel Corp to obtain information on china's negotiation position, which incurred significant loss to China's public properties.

The fact is very clear. His crime won't be tolerated in any country in the world. China built an civil law system since 1978. though its different from your common law system, it's nothing more unique than most countries practicing civil law system. I don't china, as a sovereign country, has the obligation to receive the intervention on its law affairs from Australia.

Kevin Ruud is not pro-China

He just only can speak fluent Mandarin and have a Chinese son-in-law of descent of Hong Kong immigrants.

Kevin Rudd is very pro China. He studied Chinese history and language after leaving high school. Lived in China, has many personal Chinese friends who are members of the CCP. And China was also the destination of his first overseas visit since becoming Prime minister. Much to the suprise of many since Japan is Australias largest trading partner.

Dont get me wrong im not trying to bash the chinese people here, only the system.
Court cases behind closed doors, restriction of information, does not add up to an open and fair society to me.

**Correction to my previous post one was a former PM the other one was a former political leader.**

Soon people will start putting China and Australia in the same boat. Good ol Kevin Rudd will be introducing legislation in the next few weeks to have Australias own Great Firewall of China.
Freedom of information may soon be a thing of the past in Australia. All thanks to the Chinese leaning pro Chinese Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

Last edited:
Kevin Rudd is very pro China. He studied Chinese history and language after leaving high school. Lived in China, has many personal Chinese friends who are members of the CCP. And China was also the destination of his first overseas visit since becoming Prime minister. Much to the suprise of many since Japan is Australias largest trading partner.

Dont get me wrong im not trying to bash the chinese people here, only the system.
Court cases behind closed doors, restriction of information, does not add up to an open and fair society to me.

**Correction to my previous post one was a former PM the other one was a former political leader.**

Soon people will start putting China and Australia in the same boat. Good ol Kevin Rudd will be introducing legislation in the next few weeks to have Australias own Great Firewall of China.
Freedom of information may soon be a thing of the past in Australia. All thanks to the Chinese leaning pro Chinese Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

are you kidding me, he's a staunch US puppet and he'll never disobey his masters in washington.

are you kidding me, he's a staunch US puppet and he'll never disobey his masters in washington.

Nope I kid you not, are you able to give an examples that highlight he is a staunch US puppet? Many members of the Australian Labor party are pro China (not that its a bad thing but we dont want any elements of the Chinese political system to seep into Australia). Even less than a year ago the Australian defense minister was forced to resign for not disclosing gifts from Chinese business people.

You may be thinking of the PM before Rudd, John Howard. Johnny Howard had his nose so far up Bushes backside it wasnt funny.

Australia's have been unfortunate with theie last 2 PM's. Both complete toss pots. Only good thing Rudd has done was say sorry to the Aboriginals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom