What's new

Richard Fisher: PLA is working on suborbital bomber

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Richard Fisher suggests PLA is working on suborbital bomber

International Assessment and Strategy Center > Research > China’s Space Plane Program
China has long demonstrated its commitment to building space warfare capabilities and it should be no surprise that future space planes will also benefit the PLA, as they will enhance China civil-space capabilities. While he was Chief of the General Armaments Department, which currently controls China’s manned and unmanned space program for the PLA, it is likely that General Chen Bingde played a key role in China’s decision to undertake a series of anti-satellite (ASAT) interceptor tests that culminated in the successful 11 January 2007 destruction of a Chinese weather satellite by an SC-19 interceptor. Chen’s likely willingness to use force in space did not harm his promotion to Chief of the General Staff Department (GSD) in 2007, and he could rise to higher office, perhaps following his predecessor as the next Minister of Defense. As GSD Chief, Chen would also have been responsible for ordering the development of new strategies/doctrines, such as the October-November 2009 PLA Air Force explaining of their new strategies “integrating air and space.” A November 2009 article reported that China Strategy Institute member Jiang Feng stated the “next step’ of the Chinese Air Force is to “focus” on “developing” “assassin satellites, laser interceptor satellites, etc.” This report further states, “It is reported that China's air force is currently also working hard to develop a new model orbital bomber.”[30] PLA interest in a “space bomber” is also indicated in Chinese engineering literature.[31]

CALT’s First Generation LM RLV concepts could fulfill a number of military missions. Depending on its residual fuel capacity after reaching orbit, the CALT space plane might be able to vary its altitude as well as effect changes in orbital direction to be able to intercept targets of choice. Its payload bay would seem sufficient to carry small kinetic kill vehicles (KKVs) for ASAT missions, or small laser or microwave weapons that could disable a satellite without creating debris. Again, depending on its fuel capacity and the effectiveness of its thermal protection system, the CALT space plane may be able to briefly reenter the atmosphere to conduct surveillance or even ground attack missions, and then reenter orbit to better evade interception. The capability to reenter the atmosphere, even if for a brief period at the upper edges of the atmosphere, could enable this space plane to effect “synergetic plane change,” or the ability to change orbits.[32] Using the atmosphere to allow space plane aerodynamic surfaces to change orbits also saves fuel that could be used to regain a required LEO altitude. This could enable this space plane to attack multiple targets in a single mission.

But CALT’s sub-orbital RSB RLV might also prove attractive to the PLA, as it could form the basis for an early hypersonic strike vehicle, relying on more readily available rocket engines instead of waiting for more exotic scramjet or combined cycle engines. The rocket-based second stage could launch surveillance micro satellites or multiple KKVs. The RSB RLV might also use that same missile to attack distant ground targets at hypersonic speeds. In addition, it might use a future small laser or microwave weapon package to attack LEO targets.

To transition to a military-mission capable platform the Shenlong would have to be large enough to carry fuel for maneuvering and a useful payload; demonstrate the ability to perform in-orbit tasks; self-recover near a space launch site; and, re-launch in a short period of time. There are indications that like the X-37B, the Shenlong could in the future be equipped with a folding solar energy array to prolong its orbital missions. China has already developed robotic manipulator arms for out space usage,[33] and a smaller version could see use on a military Shenlong. Depending on the size of its payload a military-mission Shenlong could perform passive reconnaissance missions against other space objects or ground targets, undertake active missions against both, or perform maintenance on and refueling of PLA satellites.
In October 2009, in conjunction with the celebration of the PLAAF’s 60th Anniversary, current PLAAF Commander General Xu Qiliang was reported to have described this new strategy as "effecting air and space integration, possessing capabilities for both offensive and defensive operations.”[64] In terms of gaining insights regarding doctrine, usual PLA sources have not elaborated significantly on potential PLAAF space combat missions. However it is conceivable that the PLAAF could control “winged” counter-space platforms, such as aircraft armed with ASAT systems like lasers or air-launched SLVs, perhaps including future military versions of the unmanned Shenlong space plane and follow-on larger manned space planes. The PLA’s early astronaut corps ostensibly under GAD command has been chosen from PLAAF pilots.
20110627_45a.jpg

It is perhaps never a good idea to reference Richard Fisher. Even the mainstream American media never seem to quote either him or the tabloid known as the Washinton Times.

It is perhaps never a good idea to reference Richard Fisher. Even the mainstream American media never seem to quote either him or the tabloid known as the Washinton Times.

Yeah, this guy thinks the J-20 is superior to F-22.

Thanks richard. I really needed to know what the chinese were planning in space. because we know countries like the US and Russia have no such projects. for jesus' sake, even india has the same plan. thanks for being so...in the know. I would shake my head but i cant find the emotocons. meh

Thanks richard. I really needed to know what the chinese were planning in space. because we know countries like the US and Russia have no such projects. for jesus' sake, even india has the same plan. thanks for being so...in the know. I would shake my head but i cant find the emotocons. meh

thing is, indian plans are all dreams.
chinese can actually build things.
indians cant.

Are you retarded? Did your mom drop you?
Right now none of these hypersonic/shuttle like aircraft exist except the shuttles the US built. Infact, it takes certian types of engines to build this.
But you ignored the point of my post because your uncomfortable with your own penis.
Best regards,

I think he's inferring to the phenomenon that while Indians complain about low quality Chinese products, India itself ironically does not even have the technology to produce the products in question at all.

I think he's inferring to the phenomenon that while Indians complain about low quality Chinese products, India itself ironically does not even have the technology to produce the products in question at all.
Like your reading anything i'm saying/ WOW. This forums trolls have such a hive mentality.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

oh and I'm rubber your glue. what ever your say bounces off me and sticks to you!
cheers/

Back
Top Bottom