What's new

Results of my DNA test

The Central Asian percentage is huge. It hovers around half for most Pakistanis.
That is because they define Central Asia as Tajikistan, Afghanistan and the Indus Valley.

The actual Central Asians that we typically associate with the term (Kazakhs, Turkmen, Kyrgyz, Uzbek, etc...) are genetically distant from us and have very little genetic connection to us.

I seriously doubt the efficacy and veracity of such tests. From what I’ve heard from people who has taken such tests they are wildly inaccurate.

That said an American friend of mine found out whilst he is as white as snow and comes from puritan stock, his test revealed his ancestors were from Kenya 😂

99% of Pakistani Syeds descend from individuals that forged their Syed ancestry so that they would be exempt from taxes
Is that true or some sort of joke?

I seriously doubt the efficacy and veracity of such tests. From what I’ve heard from people who has taken such tests they are wildly inaccurate.

That said an American friend of mine found out whilst he is as white as snow and comes from puritan stock, his test revealed his ancestors were from Kenya 😂
I have heard these are more fun (Lotto balls):

R.08711bbcbd3e3ee7d216afbe7fa1192a

Why is Indus valley classified as central asian though?
Native Pakistani (and NW Indian) ethnic groups form a genetic cluster that is distant and distinct from Indian ethnic groups, this cluster also has a level of affinity with East Afghan ethnic groups. So they just decided to categorize these groups under "Central Asian".

DNA testing intrests me and at the same time I see no point
For people in America's, Australia or people whose ancestors came from somewhere else and settled the lands it makes sense

from my limited "studies" my clan's men are part of the original punjabis/potohar/ salt range who settled the lands way before the word even existed , I am talking about 1000s of years ago

so for me l'd be more interested in historical side of it- which civilizations or ancient people groups would my DNA match with, if they do it like that it'll be slightly more interesting for me

Last edited:
For people in America's, Australia or people whose ancestors came from somewhere else and settled the lands it makes sense

from my limited "studies" my clan's men are part of the original punjabis/potohar/ salt range who settled the lands way before the word even existed , I am talking about 1000s of years ago

so for me l'd be more interested in historical side of it- which civilizations or ancient people groups would my DNA match with, if they do it like that it'll be slightly more interesting for me

There are actually important for historic study. There is Indonesia gov agency, Eijkman Institute, that conduct research on many Indonesian DNA and then publish the result.

National Geographic also has that project where I have made the thread in PDF, but they dont make the research for Pakistani, only Indian (North and South) and Bangladeshi for South Asian region

its interesting to see this kind of test to know where your ancestor came from, I should have my one done, but I guess it will be pretty boring and the result would be like 40% northern Han Chinese, 50% southern Han Chinese, 10% nomadic.

Ancestry tests, assuming they have sufficient data points, may resolve your ethnic composition up to 10 generations. There is no resolving capability to resolve beyond 10 generations. If you already know enough about your lineage for 200 to 300 years past, you will not get new information.

Native Pakistani (and NW Indian) ethnic groups form a genetic cluster that is distant and distinct from Indian ethnic groups, this cluster also has a level of affinity with East Afghan ethnic groups. So they just decided to categorize these groups under "Central Asian".
So if we plot such modern groups we would see Pakistanis closer to central asians than other south Asians? Possible but I would assume indus valley here refers to ancient samples correct? Would that still hold true? If I'm not wrong the "average Indian" would have atleast 40+ indus valley component.

hi, about your friend, this isn’t unlikely as they take take the closest genetic record in file. You have to understand that millions of Europeans moved to Africa during colonialism and even today many of their descendants are living there 5-6 generations later. There’s a good chance that one of those descendants in Kenya likely took the same DNA test and the genetic marker shows up in Kenya too, thus showing he’s has connection to Kenya. These dna test companies are geared towards the European countries, not so much to us. I took my ancestry dna results to a university that was testing South Asians.

On ancestry.com, they have this feature where it shows your genetic ancestors from 1850 to present and see where the marker shows up in which particular decade. Mine show up in England, all across South Asia from Kabul to Bangladesh.
just how it was explained to me.

Yup this!

Back
Top Bottom