What's new

Reserves will go past $10b by March end, govt plans

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: As the country’s foreign currency reserves plunged to dangerously low levels of $7.6 billion, the federal government vowed to increase the reserves to $10 billion by the end of next month, a target that appears unrealistic in the backdrop of drying foreign inflows.

According to figures released by State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Thursday, the country’s total liquid reserves stood at $7.59 billion as of February 7, the lowest level in years. Out of the total reserves, the foreign currency reserves held by SBP dropped to $2.841 billion, the central bank said. Reserves held by commercial banks stood at $4.748 billion, according to the SBP.

Net official reserves have turned out to be negative, if the government’s liabilities on account of China currency swap, forward contracts and China deposits are subtracted from the reserves held by the SBP.

The $2.84 billion reserves are sufficient to finance only three weeks of imports, as the country’s monthly import bill rose to $4.2 billion in January.

Due to the grave situation, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar held a review meeting to find ways to improve the delicate reserves position. A meeting to review the overall economy with a focus on external financing was held at the Ministry of Finance, according to an official handout.

Dar gave instructions to accelerate the pace of efforts already being made by the Finance Division to improve the reserves position, it added.

The handout stated that the foreign exchange reserves will be increased to more than $10 billion by the end of March, 2014. It further added that the gross reserves will be increased to $16 billion by the end of December, 2014.

The government was betting on a plan to shore up its reserves by floating Euro bonds next month, the officials added. They said the government would soon launch road shows to gauge the market appetite before issuing the bond next month.

According to analysts, the government was undermining the cost that it has to pay to raise the money from the international market. The government’s expectation was that it will be able to float the bond close to premium on bonds that the Musharraf government had floated in 2007. The ten-year bond was traded at around 7% to 7.5%.

Analysts said the international investors’ perception about the country’s future roadmap will determine the premium the country will have to pay for raising the money.

The ministry said that International Financial Institutions have reposed their confidence in the government’s policies and said that the economy was now moving in the right direction.

Reserves will go past $10b by March end, govt plans – The Express Tribune

Published in The Express Tribune, February 14th, 2014

2.4 million apni pocket say nikalain gay? That would be news!

Last edited:
Net official reserves have turned out to be negative, if the government’s liabilities on account of China currency swap, forward contracts and China deposits are subtracted from the reserves held by the SBP.
The $2.84 billion reserves are sufficient to finance only three weeks of imports, as the country’s monthly import bill rose to $4.2 billion in January.
Due to the grave situation, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar held a review meeting to find ways to improve the delicate reserves position. A meeting to review the overall economy with a focus on external financing was held at the Ministry of Finance, according to an official handout.

So what happened to the claims of the PKR being less than 100 to the dollar and seeing the IMF "eyen to eyen"?

So what happened to the claims of the PKR being less than 100 to the dollar and seeing the IMF "eyen to eyen"?
Wait, when did anyone say that? Just curious, because I haven't heard anyone from the government actually say that.
--

If we continue to implement the reforms the IMF have outlined, we'll be in a better position by 2015. The situation had to get worse, before getting better. Reforms cost a great deal, and can be damaging in the short term, but the long term benefits are clear.

Do i expect the reserves to rise to $10 billion by the end of next month? Nope, if they try, they can get close to $9 billion, but even then the gains would help significantly. I think we need to differentiate goals from results, because the two rarely align. The goal is ambitious, but the government needs to be ambitious in order to fix the mess that the last government created.

I always wondered, what does Pakistan lack? Being an American and Chinese ally, you are allied with the two biggest economic powers in the world. Almost no one in the world can say that.

Is it policy? What is it? Pakistan wage is still very low and thus very attractive to foreign investments, and being an American ally for so long, I'm sure working with foreigners is no problem. The creation of F-22p, and JF-17 should confirm working with China can produce results, and Pakistan staff is capable of these things.

Very puzzling.

I always wondered, what does Pakistan lack? Being an American and Chinese ally, you are allied with the two biggest economic powers in the world. Almost no one in the world can say that.

Is it policy? What is it? Pakistan wage is still very low and thus very attractive to foreign investments, and being an American ally for so long, I'm sure working with foreigners is no problem. The creation of F-22p, and JF-17 should confirm working with China can produce results, and Pakistan staff is capable of these things.

Very puzzling.

dont u know we are the most dangerous country on this freaking planet

Wait, when did anyone say that? Just curious, because I haven't heard anyone from the government actually say that..................

Here you go Sir, just to refresh your memory:

=======================================

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Dollar will be brought back to 98 rupees: Dar - thenews.com.pk

Federal Minister for Finance Ishaq Dar says the spiralling price of the dollar vis-a-vis the rupee will be reined in and brought back to 98 rupees to a dollar.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Loan to be taken from IMF on own terms: Dar - thenews.com.pk

Finance Minister Ishaq Dar told the National Assembly on Sunday that the government would not take dictations from the IMF and get loans on own terms.

We will negotiate with the IMF with eye ball to eye ball and will not take dictations from them,” he said while winding up debate in the National Assembly on the cut motions moved by the opposition on the Ministry of Finance, Economic Affairs and Statistics.

Here you go Sir, just to refresh your memory:

=======================================

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Dollar will be brought back to 98 rupees: Dar - thenews.com.pk

Federal Minister for Finance Ishaq Dar says the spiralling price of the dollar vis-a-vis the rupee will be reined in and brought back to 98 rupees to a dollar.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Loan to be taken from IMF on own terms: Dar - thenews.com.pk

Finance Minister Ishaq Dar told the National Assembly on Sunday that the government would not take dictations from the IMF and get loans on own terms.

We will negotiate with the IMF with eye ball to eye ball and will not take dictations from them,” he said while winding up debate in the National Assembly on the cut motions moved by the opposition on the Ministry of Finance, Economic Affairs and Statistics.
Ah, thank you.

Though, I do have to say that long term, it doesn't really matter. If the IMF is satisfied with the progress (which they're heavily monitoring), then that's good enough for me.

Very puzzling.

divided people - divided on basis of religion, state, conspiracy theories
and corrupt politicians taking advantage of this divided population that wanted to "eat grass but get the bomb".

divided people - divided on basis of religion, state, conspiracy theories
and corrupt politicians taking advantage of this divided population that wanted to "eat grass but get the bomb".

That is certainly what you think. No doubt. But what makes you think you are fit to pass judgements from afar?

@Genesis Pakistan's problem is with its being a multi-ethnic country that has suffered a lot at the hands of its neighbor and thus found it necessary to cultivate a security apparatus that has often asserted itself over democratic process. We are in transition and grappling with some complicated issues. It may take 3-5 years to turn situation around. Pakistan's relations with China are far stronger than those of USA, and we have begun to see the benefit of that. It is my firm view that Pakistan would be factory to the world once we overcome our energy crisis.

Ah, thank you.

Though, I do have to say that long term, it doesn't really matter. If the IMF is satisfied with the progress (which they're heavily monitoring), then that's good enough for me.

Following IMF requirements is not going to be easy, either for the government, or for the people, for they demand many a sacrifice.

Following IMF requirements is not going to be easy, either for the government, or for the people, for they demand many a sacrifice.
It's never easy, that's why most nations stop following their recommendations and give in to popular demand, which ends up causing even more problems; It's also why South Korea is the only country in the world to be an IMF success story. SK followed IMF demands despite massive protests, opposition boycotts and threats, and criticism from IMF critics.

The IMF is harsh for a reason, and that reason isn't because it's a sadist economic-terrorist organization. If it gives a loan, it wants to make sure you don't waste it and you succeed. After all, the IMF has an interest in seeing nations succeed.

Back
Top Bottom