What's new

Republic of India - Special Protection Group (SPG)

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
pibimage.jpg

Ministry of Home Affairs
24-September, 2018 12:52 IST
Clarification regarding statement of Shri Rahul Gandhi on SPG

It has been reported in a section of the media that Shri Rahul Gandhi, during an interaction at New Delhi on Saturday (Sept 22), had commented that “The SPG Chief appointed by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had to quit because he refused to accept a list of SPG officers handpicked by the Indian Armed Forces Centre Command Core”.

The matter has been verified. The officer in question, Shri Vivek Srivastava, former Director, Special Protection Group (SPG), has specifically averred that he did not have any such conversation with Shri Rahul Gandhi at any point of time. The officer has stated that as part of his professional duties he interacted with SPG protectees; however, he has categorically stated that during his interaction with Shri Gandhi, there was no talk whatsoever regarding the appointment of a new Director, or the reasons for his leaving SPG.

SPG is a professional organisation which takes its task of protecting serving Prime Ministers, former Prime Ministers and their families entrusted to its security, very seriously and in the highest professional spirit. The comment reportedly made by Shri Gandhi through the media is baseless, devoid of fact and unfortunate, coming from an SPG protectee.

Centre dubs Rahul Gandhi’s statement on RSS push in SPG hirings baseless

The government on Monday termed as “baseless” and “devoid of fact” the statement of Congress president Rahul Gandhi that a former Special Protection Group (SPG) chief had to quit because he refused to accept a list of officers handpicked by the RSS.
india Updated: Sep 24, 2018 23:53 IST
https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...pg-official/story-xohmEwX12hDC4vRMlmaQQP.html

The government on Monday termed as “baseless” and “devoid of fact” the statement of Congress president Rahul Gandhi that a former Special Protection Group (SPG) chief had to quit because he refused to accept a list of officers handpicked.

A statement issued by the Union home ministry said the matter was verified and that the officer concerned has denied having such conversation with the Congress chief, who is also a protectee of the SPG.

“The officer in question, Shri Vivek Srivastava, former Director, SPG, has specifically averred that he did not have any such conversation with Shri Rahul Gandhi at any point of time. The officer has stated that as part of his professional duties he interacted with SPG protectees; however, he has categorically stated that during his interaction with Shri Gandhi, there was no talk whatsoever regarding the appointment of a new Director, or the reasons for his leaving SPG,” said the statement.

Srivastava is a Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service officer of 1989 batch and is now working in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) on deputation. After a two-year-long stint in the SPG, Srivastava came back to the IB.

Interacting with college and university teachers from nearly 20 states , Gandhi on Sunday had said: “When PM Narendra Modi came to power, an officer was chosen from Gujarat to head SPG. He came to see me...Again he came and said I am leaving. I asked why? He said I have a list of people that RSS wants to be put in SPG. I refused, that’s why...”

Reacting to the home ministry’s statement, a Congress spokesperson said such concerns should not be politicised and insisted that Gandhi’s remarks were never meant to question the integrity of the SPG as an institution.

First Published: Sep 24, 2018 23:43 IST

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom