What's new

Religious Freedom from Hindu perspective

Seriously, still eating **** of mother like figure is quite awkward phenomena.

I'm not even willing to give my hand in shitty hands.

What about other animals!!! is it allowed to eat meat of not so mother like animals?

Traditionally we eat fishes, chicken, goat...
There was no law in not eating a particular animal except cow as its considered holy...
We dont eat other animals, maybe because of vibrant culture of what to eat and what not to....

If i can sum it up, the Dharmic religions tolerate everything except intolerance.

In Dharmic tradition, scriptural knowledge is meaningless if without real experience. People who have rattofied verses without knowing in reality, they are considered like parrots.In the Shastric lore, there is a sentence

To man who is liberated, the scriptures are like rain on oceans...

So scripture is not final authority, you are...Man is encourage to find out for himself.

Debate is excellent as it is not based on childish ideas.you cant say since it is in falana book and falana guy did falana miracle and therefore he is the true son of god and other childish arguments.all arguments should be logical.

Indian Logic is amongst only three logical systems in the world (Greek , Chinese and Indian). Pakistanis should be proud because it is a shared heritage, many of great logicians lived in the area which is now pakistan.

So debate allows all logical arguments.It is said that once Shankaracharya who was winning debates all over india was defeated in debate by Gargi. She argued with him over the subject of Sexology, and he being celibate, lost.Sexology (kaam shastra) was considered a genuine topic of study and argument.

In india tolerance is key. Now there are brahmins in the south that dont touch meat, and brahmins in kashmir that cant live without meat.Beef is generally not eaten, but there seems to be evidence that was consumed in earlier times.

I'll try to simplify it. If, in a non-Mosaic text, the Supreme Entity self-describes as vengeful, this is in direct conflict with the self-ascribed "Merciful" Mosaic God. The only logical conclusion(s) we can come to:
- One of the texts MUST be false. God cannot be both Merciful and Vengeful.
- Both texts are false. God can be either at His whim.
- There is no God, and it's all man-made.
You're a man, something God created in His own image, saying which is a pointer to the various aspects of your constitution. You could take a mental ride into the past, and somewhere in there you'd find a man giving somebody a tooth fewer, and yet you'd also find a man who could be extremely tender towards his wife and kids. That is exactly how we see God. We talk of His jamaal - beauty - and the jalaal - majesty. He is Extremely Merciful most of the time, and wrathful in his justice some of the time. And the first overshadows the second. If you can have a multi-faceted personality, why don't your thought-process make Lord-God less deserving of such?

My point is that it is a gross oversimplification to claim that primitive animists, Greek pantheon believers, Gaia folk, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, and Christians all worship the same entity, just differently named.
Polytheism alone destroys this argument.
Wherever there's the concept of God, I understand it is the leftover of the one He Himself made to be known to man through, as we believe, His appointed Messengers A.S.3, appointed to EVERY people, in ALL ages. ---------------------------(Arg. 1)

The Greek, Arab and Indian pantheons were ingenious political concepts that were able to unite people by allowing for any object-of-reverence. If you looked at all those tribes that had one such god represented, they'd ultimately be using that representation as 'wormholes' to a Higher Power, which wonder of wonders, cannot be materially represented! (I'm talking about Hindu and Arabic polytheists, it's been decades since I was made to study Greek mythology and it's all muddled up, but 2/3 might imply 3/3). Of the three, Hindu or Sanatan Dharmic theology is alive today, and if we scratched the surface, we find something in its basic very similar to Islam Or Judaism - Monotheism, life-after-death etc - and that buttresses my (Arg. 1). So, polytheism for at least these doctrines is but a screen over an implied monotheism!

Hinduism is not polytheistic. it is not even theistic in the sense of the abrahmaic religions. it is monist.

I am an atheist/Agnostic however you want to call it as but I feel being born a Hindu is what has provided me with the flexibility of being a non-believer. The only non-flexibility in Hindu religion is the restricted meat choices. I love my steak and want to have a George Foreman grill at home for having steak now and then but it is a huge no no from my religious wife. Now I have to dish out $25 dollars now and then for my steaks. :bad:

I am an atheist/Agnostic however you want to call it as but I feel being born a Hindu is what has provided me with the flexibility of being a non-believer. The only non-flexibility in Hindu religion is the restricted meat choices. I love my steak and want to have a George Foreman grill at home for having steak now and then but it is a huge no no from my religious wife. Now I have to dish out $25 dollars now and then for my steaks. :bad:

Nothing is prohibited perse in Hinduism.

Just that beef is generally not eaten because cow is venerated as a mother in Hinduism.

You're a man, something God created in His own image, saying which is a pointer to the various aspects of your constitution. You could take a mental ride into the past, and somewhere in there you'd find a man giving somebody a tooth fewer, and yet you'd also find a man who could be extremely tender towards his wife and kids. That is exactly how we see God. We talk of His jamaal - beauty - and the jalaal - majesty. He is Extremely Merciful most of the time, and wrathful in his justice some of the time. And the first overshadows the second. If you can have a multi-faceted personality, why don't your thought-process make Lord-God less deserving of such?

Wherever there's the concept of God, I understand it is the leftover of the one He Himself made to be known to man through, as we believe, His appointed Messengers A.S.3, appointed to EVERY people, in ALL ages. ---------------------------(Arg. 1)

The Greek, Arab and Indian pantheons were ingenious political concepts that were able to unite people by allowing for any object-of-reverence. If you looked at all those tribes that had one such god represented, they'd ultimately be using that representation as 'wormholes' to a Higher Power, which wonder of wonders, cannot be materially represented! (I'm talking about Hindu and Arabic polytheists, it's been decades since I was made to study Greek mythology and it's all muddled up, but 2/3 might imply 3/3). Of the three, Hindu or Sanatan Dharmic theology is alive today, and if we scratched the surface, we find something in its basic very similar to Islam Or Judaism - Monotheism, life-after-death etc - and that buttresses my (Arg. 1). So, polytheism for at least these doctrines is but a screen over an implied monotheism!

Monotheism is obviously true but whats the big deal?

Whats the big deal if there is only one god and whats the big deal in praying to him? Prayer is at best 30 minutes to one hour of a day and there are 23 hours left.What one does in all that time and how his religion/spirituality influences his actions is what is most important.

Religions encourage prayer because this involves confronting ones conscience regularly and relieves the man of his doubts.

Nothing is prohibited perse in Hinduism.

Just that beef is generally not eaten because cow is venerated as a mother in Hinduism.

I do not quote just the restriction on beef alone - Other two examples which come to my mind is the strict vegetarianism followed by certain Hindus though there are stories that in olden days even sages used to eat meat if offered to them(e.g. Agastya vs Vathapi asura story) - other one is from my own experience - my father's anchestors have been praying to a local deity - pork is strictly banned in our home due to certain beliefs associated with that deity.

I believe(though I do not have concrete proof) that these restrictions is the main reason, the diet of the Indians - especially south Indians - came to be dominated by the Carbohydrates instead of a balance in the food groups which leads to type 2 diabetes and other diseases as they age.

So called Hindus do not TOLERATE adherent of other systems or the way you call it 'faiths'. They ACCEPT you as you are.

That's common misconception about all Dharmic Traditions like Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Sanatana Dharama and countless other off shoot systems

Basically you tolerate when you don't agree with them but choose put up with them for reasons like convenience or practicality. Indic Traditions have different ideas about Debates.
And "Hindu" unity is a myth.
It's an invented thing to begin with.

Groupism is basic human nature, If you keep 10 ppl in a cage, you can see ppl will make 2 or 3 group. Religion is similar to group. Set of ppl following some defined rule.

Hinduism is not religion. Though hindu discriminate (which is diminishing) but still Hindus are unite. Hinduism believe in inclusiveness, Jainism, Boudhism and sikhism flourished from Sanatan and Hinduism accept everything as hindus. Marriage btwn Hindu-Jain-Sikh-Boudh-Dalit-brahmin is very common.

Where as Islamic scholars reject Ahmedi to accept as Muslim, Hinduism don't reject any cast or sect.

So yes on this basis we can conclude that the Unity is Hinduism is there. But hindus also inherit basic Human nature (stay in small group).

I do not quote just the restriction on beef alone - Other two examples which come to my mind is the strict vegetarianism followed by certain Hindus though there are stories that in olden days even sages used to eat meat if offered to them(e.g. Agastya vs Vathapi asura story) - other one is from my own experience - my father's anchestors have been praying to a local deity - pork is strictly banned in our home due to certain beliefs associated with that deity.

I believe(though I do not have concrete proof) that these restrictions is the main reason, the diet of the Indians - especially south Indians - came to be dominated by the Carbohydrates instead of a balance in the food groups which leads to type 2 diabetes and other diseases as they age.

Agree with you, Hinduism don't define food habbit, rather it is developed by the locality.

Having said that I would like to conclude that "Hindus are ocassional non-vegetarian" Most of Hindus eat animal protien once in a week or month.

Back
Top Bottom