What's new

Red Flag 2009

hey guys can anyone tell me of any excersie PAF has been involved in with an allied nation... a link would be very helpful thanx...

Here is a send off ceramony of Turkish pilots to RedFlag USA... Brothers...

That video from USA....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to see if we could work together to find any credible sources of information on how well the involved aircrafts performed. Also, Pakistan was, supposedly, invited to RF09, but we haven't heard a response. What are the reasons behind it?

in 2010 when the blk-52 will be in service - my guess!

We actually may never go to RF instead opting for the exercises in Alaska if interested. If we do go to RF, it would be to see how things are being done and that is it. Its too costly and is of benefit to those who conduct operations with the USAF (Essentially a NATO thing). While they invite others and it benefits them, I do not see any sort of regular participation beyond a few for the PAF. I think we will stick to AE for the most part.

Hi,

USAF would love to have PAF participate in the red flag---with their F 7 pg's, F 16 a/b and Mirage 3/5's. As a matter of fact the usaf really really wanted their pilots to have a go against the PAF---I believe in 2002 or about that time----PAF had agreed to it---but then later withdrew due to certain reservations----basically PAF didnot want the americans to know their capabilities in a full scale excersize. Americans were warming upto india as well---.

But they should do something with the saudis---the qataris---the uae---the indonesians---the turks of course.

I haven't heard about any excersizes that PAF may have had with their chinese counterparts. Excluding the F 16's from the combat simulation---the PAF can go in with their F 7 pg's and the mirages 3/5's against the chinese aircraft. There are so many things that can happen staying local that is the middle east and south asia.

One thing I don't understand is that why does the PAF not have F 7 PG's and mirages in the anatolian eagle excercise!!! Can some illustrious member elucidate upon it.

How do you take the aircraft over to Turkey? Without IFR and the very small endurance of the F-7PG, we would be hopping across for days to land and refuel. Secondly, sending aircraft for Ex. is an expensive affair. So the idea is to send your best and most experienced pilots with the best platforms. Due to the F-7PG's very limited role (its not a MR platform), PAF cannot get as much out of it as it can with the F-16 weapon system.

We have flown our Mirages and F-7s against the US side (USN in this case). These older platforms are not unique in any way as many other countries with which USAF exercise (Ex Brightstar in Egypt is one example) have the same aircraft. Egyptians are still flying F-7s, Mirage IIIs, Mirage 2000s and F-16s. So PAF does not bring anything too unique to the table.

We exercise with Khaleejis and Saudis without advertising much.
Here is one from Pakdef on an exercise in 2006 (mind you the aircraft are F-15 of the RSAF and MirageIII of the PAF):
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/blain2/MirageinKSA_w-F-15.jpg

Last edited:
How do you take the aircraft over to Turkey? Without IFR and the very small endurance of the F-7PG, we would be hopping across for days to land and refuel. Secondly, sending aircraft for Ex. is an expensive affair. So the idea is to send your best and most experienced pilots with the best platforms. Due to the F-7PG's very limited role (its not a MR platform), PAF cannot get as much out of it as it can with the F-16 weapon system.

We have flown our Mirages and F-7s against the US side (USN in this case). These older platforms are not unique in any way as many other countries with which USAF exercise (Ex Brightstar in Egypt is one example) have the same aircraft. Egyptians are still flying F-7s, Mirage IIIs, Mirage 2000s and F-16s. So PAF does not bring anything too unique to the table.

We exercise with Khaleejis and Saudis without advertising much.
Here is one from Pakdef on an exercise in 2006 (mind you the aircraft are F-15 of the RSAF and MirageIII of the PAF):
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/blain2/MirageinKSA_w-F-15.jpg

great pic - notice how small is size the mirage is against the F-15. staying on this subject Mirages from PAF Masroor have also excercised with the French Aeronavalle in the arabian sea in 2006 and gave a good account of themselves against their Etendard's.

We actually may never go to RF instead opting for the exercises in Alaska if interested. If we do go to RF, it would be to see how things are being done and that is it. Its too costly and is of benefit to those who conduct operations with the USAF (Essentially a NATO thing). While they invite others and it benefits them, I do not see any sort of regular participation beyond a few for the PAF. I think we will stick to AE for the most part.

i concur - AE covers many of the RF air-war scenarios anyway and NATO airforces are involved. RF is becoming more of a "prestige" thing IMO. so if any country's AF participates in RF it is automatically considered "World Class" which is generally not the case.

Blain with all due respect i don't think it is a PAF mirage...the colours and the insigna on the tail don't look like the PAFs....but i can be wrong... but great post anyway.

Blain with all due respect i don't think it is a PAF mirage...the colours and the insigna on the tail don't look like the PAFs....but i can be wrong... but great post anyway.

The tail shows Pakistan flag and also keep in mind the serial #. That aircraft is painted with Sr # 505, which is 90-505 in the PAF service (formerly RAAF Mirage IIIOF (serial A3-5). It is a ROSE I upgraded Mirage (ideal for such exercises due to its fairly potent AI radar). The camouflage is the standard air superiority scheme applied to the ROSE I Mirages in the PAF service.

For comparison see this 90-531 also in the PAF service painted in the same scheme. There is no doubt in my mind at least about the picture being that of a PAF Mirage III.
http://www.scramble.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Image:PAF_Mirage_3OA.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom