What's new

RCom says 2G data will die in 2-3 years

Truth Finder

Reaction score
Country
India
Reliance Communications, which recently became a full GSM player, feels 2G data would be phased out soon, given the huge consumption and uptake of 3G technology currently. :yahoo:

“In 2-3 years, 2G data may be phased out, with most subscribers migrating to 3G,” said Gurdeep Singh, CEO and president or Reliance Communications’ wireless business, on an analyst concall on Friday.(they are charging same for both 2g & 3g data as far as 1gb data pack is concerned :yay:)

The 3G data consumption is supported by availability of content, devices and applications, he said.

RCom said its wireless revenue growth of 21.3% — highest in the industry — in the first quarter was led by data average revenue per user and 77 lakh 3G subscribers using over 342 MB per subscriber.

The company said it has highest number of 3G subscribers among telcos as of June.
Singh said RCom was the only operator to have partnered with almost all handset players for data bundling.

“We expect data to grow exponentially leading to further revenue per minute improvement for telcos, and we are confident of capturing 40% of the smartphone market share, which is currently growing at 2 million smartphones a month,” said Singh.

This is despite a slight drop in 3G subscriber additions in the quarter, attributed to seasonality, as the telco expects additions to rise from this month on account of the festive season.

Singh also sees consolidation in the telecom sector with an almost complete exit of small players leaving only 4-5 pan-India operators, making way for a level-playing field and return of pricing power.

On steps taken by RCom towards revenue per minute improvement, Singh said the telco would complete the migration of its subscriber base to headline tariffs and eliminate promotional vouchers by August-end.

The unlocking of land assets by demerger into Reliance Properties will also lead to additional gains for shareholders.

Punit Garg, president & CEO of RCom’s global enterprise business unit, said the company earned Rs 200 crore from Globalcom order bookings in the quarter — Rs 100 crore from international long distance and Rs 100 crore from national long distance telephony.

“Enterprise customers also grew to 300, contributing Rs 300 crore to the enterprise business in Q1,” Garg said.

The company will see revenue flowing from two big deals for inter-city optic fibre and 45,000 towers with Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio Infocomm by this fiscal-end.(M.ambani going to invest billions of $$$ in 4g in India in the next 3 years:nana:)

RCom says 2G data will die in 2-3 years - Money - DNA

in delhi we dont have 2g for mtnl all 3g... already
so not a bit surprised.... we are getting decent 3g handset worth 3k from nokia. I guess its affordable for common man...

Please avoid using color in text.

Great news.. and ya, 3g rates are still a tad high for an average indian

Other than Big Metro cities , 3G speed is pathetic all over India especially in Tier III Cities , Even though i pay for 3G , i have to work on 2G since 3G network is weak .

Other than Big Metro cities , 3G speed is pathetic all over India especially in Tier III Cities , Even though i pay for 3G , i have to work on 2G since 3G network is weak .

I m using 3g from 2008 and getting 3.6mbps
BSNL/MTNL...
1gb in 35 to 40 min... :D:D:D:D:D

he meant,i wish that unlimited 3g data was available for rs.125

pura 3g use kar rhe ho :D:D:D

which network buddy?

2 years back BSNL was giving unlimted 3.6mbps speed worth 1500 for a month... no fair use policy complete unlimted without slowing speed... my bro use to say in finland they get unlimted 40mbps wifi worth 5 € one year back. dont know current rate

But our 3G speed is currently pathetic. Its only 2.3 mbps & promise is 7.2 mbps :pissed:

Back
Top Bottom