Rafale Fighter Jet Serviceability Rate With French Air Force Is 48.5 Percent

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
french_ra_1480424105.jpg

French Rafale fighter jet

The serviceability rate of the Dassault Rafale fighter jet in service with the French Air Force is 48.5%, according to information given to a French lawmaker by the government.

The serviceability rate or the availability rate is the number of aircraft ready for missions at any given time. In the case of the French Air Force’s Rafale jets, nearly half of the fleet is on the ground undergoing repairs or maintenance, Jane’s reported on 24 November 2016.

According to the Janes report, the official record for France's Dassault Rafale fighter fleet in 2015 (93 aircraft in service with the air force) with a budgeted maintenance cost of EUR343.90 million ($364.56 million). This information was given to a lawmaker which Jane’s did not identify.

The figure presents an interesting proposition as Dassault, through the French government is reported to have promised in its deal with India that it will ensure that there is 75 percent serviceability, i.e 27 aircraft are operationally available at any given time of the 36 that India has orders. “There will be steep penalties if they don’t adhere to timelines,” unnamed sources were quoted as saying by the Hindu on 23 September this year. India concluded an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) with France for the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets at a cost of €7.87 billion on the same day.

In contrast the Su-30MKI fleet with the Indian Air Force has an operational availability between 55-60 percent which gives it a higher serviceability than the Rafale jets in service with the French AF.

The Indian MoD has been in negotiations with the Russian manufacturer of the Su-30 jet to raise the serviceability to 70-75 per cent.

Dassault will begin aircraft deliveries after 36 months and complete in 67 months.

The deliveries of Dassault Rafale fighter jets India ordered will commence from September 2019 with the French government and Dassault committed to providing depot-level maintenance during the pendency of the contract to ensure a high serviceability rate.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/17...French_Air_Force_Is_48_5_Percent#.WD2SQ-Z95PY

Surely serviceability is product of (i) maintenance and (ii) aircraft design - poorly cared for aircraft or even intense use will influence the number of aircraft available. Thus these percentage figures are very crude measure.

Caveat - I have zero knowledge of aircraft and I am using my experiance with automobiles as referance.

It's an administrative availability rate, Zarvan & Kaptaan mates.

What I mean is that with sparse deliveries the fleet is spread thin.
To answer the duty calls with Chammal / OIR, airplanes at home
get stored with some equipment removed to dress up the fighters
in the battle zone.
This creates an inordinate number of non-operable machines and
the logistics flow of replacement parts is not scheduled properly ( &
in some cases not funded ) for such a high external ops tempo.

The Indians will not see the same problems surface unless they
start a war, fight on many fronts or invade Mauritania or Chile.

Have a great day, Tay.

It looks like its just myth that serviceability rate of western aircrafts are better then Russian Jets...

Surely serviceability is product of (i) maintenance and (ii) aircraft design - poorly cared for aircraft or even intense use will influence the number of aircraft available. Thus these percentage figures are very crude measure.

Caveat - I have zero knowledge of aircraft and I am using my experiance with automobiles as referance.
Thank you for you honesty, your guess is right.

get stored with some equipment removed to dress up the fighters
in the battle zone.
Therefore as I alluded to earlier it is with maintenance.

(i) maintenance

Thank you for you honesty, your guess is right.
Thanks, although it was not a question of honesty. More deductive logic (derived from cars) applied on aircraft thing underlying logic would be same. You get ten models of the most reliable cars and don't bother to maintain them properly good number will be out of service. On the contray you get 10 models with poor reliabity but have army showring attention on them most will running at any given time.

Therefore as I alluded to earlier it is with maintenance.

Thanks, although it was not a question of honesty. More deductive logic (derived from cars) applied on aircraft thing underlying logic would be same. You get ten models of the most reliable cars and don't bother to maintain them properly good number will be out of service. On the contray you get 10 models with poor reliabity but have army showring attention on them most will running at any given time.

This seems to be a case of improper stocking of parts. The aircrafts weren't expected to be used so extensively, hence the shortage.

@Khafee @Kaptaan @INDIAISM

The french air force maintain a serviceability rate of 97% for the Rafale currently deployed in operations against Daesh. :yes4:

This information was given to a lawmaker which Jane’s did not identify.

Lawmaker ? serviceability rate ? François Cornut-Gentille,definitely. :P @Taygibay

No Country has 100% servicibility rate any where I the world AND especially if not in state of war .

FIFTH generation fihters have far more down time due to extensive maintenance in keeping RCS very low and the average RAPTOR needs three times the maintenance per any F15/F16 after each flight

60% service rate is about average globally

Yers some planes run at 80/90% AND old planes no longer bult like Pakistani mirages or indian MIG21 can be low as 30%

Typhoons are running at between 50/70% TYPICALLY

its no biggy DURU NG WAR nations pepare and service rates go to plus 80/85% asap

No Country has 100% servicibility rate any where I the world AND especially if not in state of war .

FIFTH generation fihters have far more down time due to extensive maintenance in keeping RCS very low and the average RAPTOR needs three times the maintenance per any F15/F16 after each flight

60% service rate is about average globally

Yers some planes run at 80/90% AND old planes no longer bult like Pakistani mirages or indian MIG21 can be low as 30%

Typhoons are running at between 50/70% TYPICALLY

its no biggy DURU NG WAR nations pepare and service rates go to plus 80/85% asap

Agreed. With better availability of spares & with fewer aircrafts to maintain, IAF will be able to maintain a better service rate. Look at Sukhois. IAF with proper planning & execution have been able to bring up the serviceability rate to 20% higher than previous.

The Sukhoi service rate is a par/normal rate as per any expensive or high maintenance fighter in the world be it F15 or Typhoons or Raptoirrs be they Indian Russian or European even Israeli.

No AIR FORCE in the world can afford to maintain 100% or near 100% readiness UNLESS preparing for imminent conflict.

60% of indian Flankers is the same in China & Russia or any where.

AND DONT BELIEVE ANY ONE if they say there.s is highter

eg

At Any time half the PAF F16 is in a repair or maintenance shop awaiting parts.

THI IS NORMAL ACCEPTABLE RATE

Those Intellectuals jumping on our serviceability rates... Must ask Pakistan Airforce why They Conceal Their Serviceability Rates.
To Raise a Fingure Fist Number of Sorties by Airforce on Aircraft Type.
IAF does 220 Sorties Per Annum dont know for PAF.....

F-7 = Mig 21 Type 15 -- Technology copied belong to 1967---Now Figure out Servicability rate of PAF Jet -- They have ateast 5 Sqns

Mirage 3/5 - Frenchie stuff lives on CANiBALIZATION of Spares --- Now Figure out Servicability Rate.
Dassault doesnt support Service or OverHall of this Bird

F16 - Pakistan has declared only 8 Crashes in 30 Years.
Yanks have given them ample spares....Here the Serviceability rate will be atleast 70%

JF17 Thunder has RD 33 engine. Do I need to Say on Record of this engine , when we suffered so much
But PAF has Balls to Instal Such a Risky Engine...

At the End of the Day What Counts How Many Birds Can you Put in Air ?

To keep an air force at near 100.% even 90% service ready state requires serious constant investment $$$$$$..

When you add in that most developing nations including India and Pakistan rely on Russia or China or USA or Israel to obtain critical spares that job become even harder.

If you train hard and you constant have pilots up in the air training then break downs will happen.

If ,70% of your fleet I's obselete then to claim high service ready rate is nothing more than outright lies. It's just not feasible.

Thev rich elite nations that have self sufficiency and huge budgets to constantly service their planes and be ready for war are the super rich western nations like France Germany UK USA Japan..etc.

The rest of us mere mortals with pretend world clsss this that and other are giving out false bravado

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom