Reaction score
Country
Israel
Rafael steps up weapons offer for Tejas
  • 08 FEBRUARY, 2017
  • SOURCE: FLIGHTGLOBAL.COM
  • BY: ARIE EGOZI
  • TEL AVIV

Rafael is stepping up its efforts to provide systems for the Indian air force’s Hindustan Aeronautics-built Tejas light combat aircraft, with its current emphasis on offering air-to-air missiles and a targeting pod.

Yuval Miller, executive vice-president and head of Rafael’s Air and C4I Systems division, tells FlightGlobal that the wide co-operation with Indian companies enables it to offer systems which would bring the Tejas to a “4.5-generation” standard. It already has established joint ventures with Astra Microwave, Bharat Forge and Reliance Defence covering the transfer of technology and the establishment of local production sites, in compliance with New Delhi’s “Make In India” policy.

Miller says the Indian air force is evaluating the Israeli company’s Python 5 and 54nm (100km)-range I-Derby ER air-to-air missiles for the Tejas, while it is also promoting its Litening 5 targeting pod and BNET secure radio.

Rafael will also supply systems for the Indian air force’s future fleet of 36 Dassault Rafales, acting as a subcontractor to Dassault, Miller says. This will include Spice 250 and Spice 1000 precision-guided bombs to be used by both the French-built type and the Tejas, he adds
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/rafael-steps-up-weapons-offer-for-tejas-433955/

Is the Elta AESA radar available ?
India will develop an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar with Israel for the next generation of its Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA).

The Indian air force has accepted the indigenous Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA) which previously it had opposed, Business Standard reported Sunday. (2015)

The configurations of the new Tejas called SoP-18 were agreed in New Delhi on September 23, between the air force and the Tejas' designers and manufacturers. The IAF agreed to buy 100 SoP-18 fighters from Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), in addition to the 20 Tejas Mark I already on order.

The Elta-HAL AESA radar has key advantages over conventional "manually steered" radar. In the latter, the antenna is moved manually to let the radar beam scan the sky for enemy targets.

India's Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) cannot yet miniaturise airborne radar for a fighter's nose (it has built a larger radar for airborne early warning and control aircraft). Hence, the Tejas fighter was equipped with the EL/M-2032 radar, bought from Israeli company, Elta but the equipment of Tejas with AESA radar will make it a more capable fighter. I dont think AESA available yet.

Back
Top Bottom