What's new

RAF gives training tips to the Pakistan Air Force

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

June 11, 2009

Members of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) Flying Instructors School (FIS) have paid a visit to North Yorkshire to come face-to-face with their British RAF counterparts.

The visit to RAF Linton-on-Ouse was part of a fact-finding mission to allow the PAF to find out more about the RAF's training programmes, particularly the advanced courses for pilots.

Linton is home to the Tucano wing of the RAF's Central Flying School and it was explained to the Pakistani visitors how RAF fast-jet pilots are trained, as well as the importance of ground-based training using flight simulators.

Station Commander, Group Captain Mike Longstaff, said:

"More than half of the current syllabus at Linton is given over to synthetic training and our colleagues from Pakistan were keen to learn not only about the operational and cost benefits but also the positive environmental impact."

RAF Linton-on-Ouse has close ties with the PAF and operates an ongoing reciprocal exchange system post which is currently filled by Flight Lieutenant Adeel Ahmad.

He said:

"I think it's a really important programme. I've learned a great deal during my time here at Linton and will take those lessons back with me to Pakistan. For me personally the biggest thing I have had to learn is how to fly in British weather."

Commanding Officer of the FIS, Wing Commander Kazim Hammad, said:

"Our visit to the RAF has allowed us to look at the cross-training ideas we both have and is designed to foster mutual learning. Our Air Forces are very similar to one another - as are our training methods. Indeed the programme of reciprocal visits has taken place now for some forty years.

"We are looking to remake our basic training flight simulators and it has been extremely helpful to see how the RAF uses their simulators."

The Pakistan Air Force was born in August 1947 and began as a tiny auxiliary Service, with a small number of personnel and insignificant equipment, to emerge as a powerful weapon of the country's defence in later years.

http://www.****************/raf-gives-training-tips-to-the-pakistan-air-force-19650/

RAF and PAF have a long history whereby PAF pilots spend time in the UK to further hone their flying skills and tactics. they get a chance to fly current RAF fighters and trainers and try their flying skills on the RAF's state-of-the-art simulators. many PAF pilots have won no.1 position in numerous gunnery and dog-fighting competitions held by the RAF.

Every year 3 of our pilots from FIS goto RAF As IP's to train them, What is RAF going to teach us last time they came with there hunters we beat the **** of them, After that every exercise we had PAF won every time.

Every year 3 of our pilots from FIS goto RAF As IP's to train them, What is RAF going to teach us last time they came with there hunters we beat the **** of them, After that every exercise we had PAF won every time.

What a Joke RAF trains PAF!!!!:crazy:

I have heard that few months ago,USAAF pilots in their F-16s came to Jaccobabad for exercise and one pakistani pilot S/L ....Rana in his mirage lock one of the F-16s..the american was surprised... also in 1978 USAAF F-15s came for exercise at Masroor, PAF mirage and F-6 pilots locked them twice..one of PAF Pilot was Abdur Razzaq (died as AVM in 2003 with CAS Mushaf Mir).. I do not remember the narrator of the story but I will try to get it. I read the story from a website pafdef.info in 2005.......
Sir Murad......throw some light !!!

The Americans are trained according a rigid model. Real pilots can think beyond. If you are treated with the best plane and just have to work in a big system with strict orders. The first time they get to meet real well trained pilots who know how to fly anf fight without all those goodies they will be dead. And Pakistani pilots have the respect and history of being the best. Trust me, they can handle it and they will act if needed. Not like top gun hero's but as wise, well trained and well mannered top aviators...

We even had a training with mirage intercepting and killing a well armed and defended aircarrier. We did beat them.

The Americans are trained rigid..how's that Munir??

The Americans are trained rigid..how's that Munir??

Well, Last airforcesmonthly talks about how they learn to fight (f16)... And knowing some basics it does make sense that in an unexpexted environment or not extremely weak opponent they will get into troubles.

That shooting down of few Libyans or crippled and outdated Iraki airforce is nothing. Just like the hardly impact on Serbia. We are forced to believe that they are good or the best. Knowing the financing, numbers and system does make them less superb.

I would not say they are the best, but their system is by no means rigid. I would rather consider PAF's system rigid and very centralized. independence of command is key to the Americans fighting style. I would believe you have gone through Clancy's Fighter wing. Even if it is all hogwash.. I still believe the Americans offer their pilots a lot of freedom in mission execution. The rigidness they show is in safety procedures and combat techniques which can be attributed to brilliant pilots like Boyd. Also, If technology allows one a superior advantage(i.e taking out an Iraqi fulcrum at range), I see no harm in that. Better to keep ones butt out of danger.

well i agree with all of you guys saying that the PAF pilots have been technically more sound then the RAF but wont it be helpfull to grasp on every bit of opportunity that is availabe to learn some thing more. though the RAF may not be so good as to TEAH the PAF but surely they have more high tech equipment and an insight to that technology may be helpful for the PAF pilots!
the conditions that we ae facing right now with quite an outdated fleet of planes considering the technologies at the disposal of our rivals we should go for anything and eery thing, may it be training tip, chance to fly mofren planes and practice real life modren warfare situations or else!
this is not a matter of ego i think, also joint training sessions and class are always helpfull to learn the worlds fighting tactics!
i may have been wrong on this but that is how i think!
what do you say about this sir murdaK, you are in a much better position to explain it sir! i have read your post and would like you to comment on my thoughts!

reegards!

Guys lets not start getting arrogant. No one knows everything and you can always learn a few new tricks.

yes! specially keeping in vie that how we have been deprived for many of these opportunities in the past decade or so! it is an opportunity worth taking advantage of!

regards!

fly modern planes and practice real life modren warfare situations or else!

I think there are only 3 people on this forum X-man, Me and Dreamer who know about CCS. The difference between CCS and other Air force training is that there are no rules only 1 wins and that 6 phase program is so tuff that it is hard for a civilian to imagine that. When CCS starts its is like war 100% you are out for blood no brothers no buddies Now what we have done is that we have incorporated USAF, Russian and Chinese doctrine in our system.
What is the use of flying a sim of Euro- fighter or even flying it when you have to come back and fly 40 year old planes. Haan if PAF is deciding to buy Fighters from them than yes otherwise its just simple Happy Hour TADA for our pilots going out from our own pockets.

Haan if PAF is deciding to buy Fighters from them than yes otherwise its just simple Happy Hour TADA for our pilots going out from our own pockets.

Ofcourse. However, the Eurofighter is one of the favourites for the Indian MMRCA program, and if our pilots have hours on that plane, it will be that much easier for us to develop counter-strategies.

If I am not mistaken, many PAF pilots, including Sqn Ldr Sarfaraz Ahmed Rafique (HJ, SJ), had flown RAF Hunters before the 1965 War, which later came in very handy when countering them during the war. Same could be applied to this situation.

I personally believe that we should increase exchange-training with countries operating diversified equipment. This includes the Chinese with their Russian equipment, the Brits, and the Americans (USN and USAF). This will enhance our ability to develop counter-strategies and tactics to any possible threats from the Indian MMRCA competition.

program is so tuff that it is hard for a civilian to imagine that
Sir, military personnel do not have the market cornered on toughness. Toughness is relative, so yes, I can't imagine the toughness of the CCS, however, I don't think most military men could imagine the tension of delivering a product release on schedule and under budget. Just thought that I should make my point.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom