What's new

RAC MiG boss eyes fifth-generation fighter

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
RAC MiG is contemplating building a fifth-generation fighter which would use its current MiG-35platform as a "foundation" for the introduction of new technologies.

Sergey Korotkov, general director of the Russian firm, says concepts for a new aircraft have already been worked on by company engineers.

"I know this is one of the ideas, one of the directions, that is in the pockets of the design bureau," he says, speaking through an interpreter. "I do hope that we shall stick to this direction more seriously very soon."

getasset.aspx

Although he does not detail how advanced its studies are, Korotkov believes it is "very likely" that the new combat type will be developed. However, he says "the most important thing is that it should be ordered".

Such a "time-consuming" project, which requires "quite a big amount of money", would need to have a defined end user before it commenced, he says.

Korotkov plays down suggestions that any work on a fifth-generation fighter would bring MiG into conflict with its sister airframer Sukhoi, which is developing its own stealthy type, the T-50/PAK-FA.

The two aircraft are "are quite different projects and each would be targeted to resolve their own mission", he says.

The maximum take-off weight of the current MiG-35 is around 5t lighter than that of the larger T-50, and Korotkov suggests it will provide greater efficiency for the majority of projected missions.

"We consider that the MiG-35 is that very platform which might, in the future, form the foundation of a fifth-generation fighter," he says.

However, in the meantime RAC MiG is still waiting for confirmation of a long-awaited order from Russia's defence ministry for the present MiG-35.

Korotkov says all the relevant documentation covering the deal for an undisclosed number of aircraft is with the ministry, and he hopes it will be concluded "this year".

Export orders are also being pursued, with Egypt recently linked to a commitment for 24 examples of the Klimov RD-33MK-powered type. However, Korotkov declines to comment on the rumours.

Additionally, in April the airframer received an order for 16 additional MiG-29SMTs for the Russian air force, which will keep the production line active until work can start on the newer model.

RAC MiG boss eyes fifth-generation fighter - 6/5/2014 - Flight Global

Expected comments.

"India should go for that beast."

"we should not go for that."

"No, stick to MMRCA. We have already invested in Pak Fa."

Too late and will be too expensive ; unless they are eyeing an JV with a partner. It will be hard for them to pitch it to their own Govt over due to PAK-FA

Ok, then let them work with us. ;-)
Sure why not !!! Good luck :tup:

Too late and will be too expensive ; unless they are eyeing an JV with a partner. It will be hard for them to pitch it to their own Govt over due to PAK-FA

Sure why not !!! Good luck :tup:

actually there are rumours that russia might look for a single engined small jet after it takes the delivery of pakfa.
mig may get that contract.

possible art of future MiG jet
sQuQ5S5Qfv8.jpg

i am highly disappointed when i look at the pakfa art drawn 10 years back to actual pakfa.
not to say pakfa is not good but the fan art was just brilliant.

actually there are rumours that russia might look for a single engined small jet after it takes the delivery of pakfa.
mig may get that contract.
Hightly unlikely. Russian will do what they always did. They will pitch Sukoi concept vs Mig concept and will give the contract to winner. I will put my bet on Sukhoi as they will have advantage of PAK-FA in service. RuAF might support Su to avoid maintaince night mare.
So Su will have adv in single engine 5th gen plane. Most probably reduction scale PAK-FA

Hightly unlikely. Russian will do what they always did. They will pitch Sukoi concept vs Mig concept and will give the contract to winner. I will put my bet on Sukhoi as they will have advantage of PAK-FA in service. RuAF might support Su to avoid maintaince night mare.
So Su will have adv in single engine 5th gen plane. Most probably reduction scale PAK-FA

thats not what the rumours are saying.
they need to save mig too...........

also mig's are not bad,its that sukhoi has better equipment inside.
put the same radar,irst and jammers in mig and its same thing.

sure it still has smaller engines,but once they develop the item 30 with 176 kn of thrust.......it will be fine

i am talking about this thing,,please translate urself
Google Translate

thats not what the rumours are saying.
they need to save mig too...........

also mig's are not bad,its that sukhoi has better equipment inside.
put the same radar,irst and jammers in mig and its same thing.

sure it still has smaller engines,but once they develop the item 30 with 176 kn of thrust.......it will be fine

i am talking about this thing,,please translate urself
Google Translate
Thats why Mig is searching partner or buyer/s.
GoRu dont have enough money to spend on both Mig n Su.
Dont forget other projects like PAK-DA

Thats why Mig is searching partner or buyer/s.
GoRu dont have enough money to spend on both Mig n Su.
Dont forget other projects like PAK-DA

yup they are being overtly stupid wrt to pakda bomber.
total waste in my opinion.

and we too will suffer as r&d will be split between pakfa and pakda.

on a different note,,,,looking at mig-35 and pakfa.........its the beginning of the end of russian dominance in defence,they have no money to do r&d and in a decade or so will be far far behind even china

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom