What's new

Questions About Exploitation of Indian "IT Coolies"

Yes, you are right. They will not be happy, but war is war, and every serious study of outsourcing to India mentions a Pakistan-India war as the worst-case risk. By the way, they weren't happy the last time there was a serious escalation when India moved troops to the border. The management of GE intervened with the State Dept and got the US to pressure both sides to back down. That's what I was trying to say... MNCs should intervene pre-emptively and apply pressure however and wherever possible to get India and Pakistan to settle the issues of disputed territory etc.

Exactly my point. still I think no one will knowingly bomb IT or construction locations where Chinese might be involved.

Public sentiment is very bad thing it defies all logic. If US public , businesses and media is after you then life becomes tough.

Very interesting. There were widespread reports and several newspaper articles suggesting that western companies who had outsourced operations to the sub-continent were quite panicked by the last Pakistan-India military standoff. Some of the executives at these companies apparently asked the State Dept. to intervene also.

I guess the 400Km requirement is outdated. Initially, it may have served as an attempt to keep their delivery centers safe in case of a conflict. But the reality is that if a conflict were to break out no city in either country would be safe. I would assume the textile industry in Faisalabad would be on the target list, and as per statements from retired Pakistan Army officers, I would similarly assume that IT centers in India would be eliminated. Even if they are more than 400Km away.

The best approach for large western companies who do have operations in the sub continent is to help - directly and indirectly - promote a solution to the Pakistan-India dispute so that real stability is restored in the region. Companies like GE have done this in the past and more should join the cause...

Do not me get me wrong. If pakistan has/had capability to destroy entire India, Pakistan would have declared war long ago.

Some of them are now protesting over low pay and aggressive management that will not negotiate with traditional trade unions, according to the Times story.

The article is talking about call centers of India and its worries.
Of-course someone will always complain about lower pay .After all there are about more than 800 call centers which are based in India.

Call center pays are usually based on factors like location, reputation and of course most importantly clientele.

But is the protest of few worth calling them coolies.--:tdown::tdown:

They are creating “e-unions” and are planning to target British and American clients in a campaign to improve their working conditions.

By this statement the author is least aware of unionism in US itself.

He needs a lecture about Communications Workers of America (union) , Uni Global Union of Europe. In Australia, the Call Centre Workers Union represents unionised workers; their activities form part of the Australian labour movement.

So a big :no::no: and :tdown::tdown: for the article

Just my 2 paisa.

They are foolishly throwing money left and right because their so called "coolies" can read, write, type and think. Where are our "coolies"? Did anyone say abroad??

They are foolishly throwing money left and right because their so called "coolies" can read, write, type and think. Where are our "coolies"? Did anyone say abroad??

This foolishness of throwing money has brought a Market capitalization of IT shares will be around U.S. $ 225 billion,Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) of U.S. $ 4-5 billion,35% of the total exports from India, 7.5 % of the overall GDP growth of India and a potential for 3 million IT/ IT related jobs here.

So nobody's complaining.:cheers:

Just yesterday, Ratan Tata of TCS said the focus now "would be to climb the value chain in a bid to differentiate its services from competition."

It's obvious from the statement that Tata knows it. TCS is all low-value coolie work done in its sweatshops....its only differentiation is the lowest possible cost, nothing else.

Do not me get me wrong. If pakistan has/had capability to destroy entire India, Pakistan would have declared war long ago.

Your perceptions are not reality. The reality is that Pakistan does have this capability. This reality has been corroborated by numerous studies, analyses etc. The reality is also that the intentions you ascribe to Pakistan are ill-informed.

Did I hear the word Low cost cheap call centers, Do You know How much is a 10th Class Pass student earning in call centers? 15k Indian rupees+Incentive+PF and Pay hike according to his Exp.... Well IT in India is booming..

And Indian IT companies have Solutions From simple Safety pins to Complicated Aeronautics

Last edited:
Did I hear the word Low cost cheap call centers, Do You know How much is a 10th Class Pass student earning in call centers? 15k Indian rupees+Incentive+PF and Pay hike according to his Exp.... Well IT in India is booming

Wages are low. That is fine. The thread starter is equating IT worker with African Slaves.

Just yesterday, Ratan Tata of TCS said the focus now "would be to climb the value chain in a bid to differentiate its services from competition."

It's obvious from the statement that Tata knows it. TCS is all low-value coolie work done in its sweatshops....its only differentiation is the lowest possible cost, nothing else.

So the "coolies" would mean that they are doing some kind of undesirable job? What would you call people who are lower in the totem pole or in other words less productive to the world society? Whatever name you would come up with you can go ahead and use it on our current crop of workers. Why would someone stoop to a level of ignorance just to think they are belittling our enemy? Do you not see that its actually one of their only strong points. We should commend them on their fight on illiteracy and hope that one day we can be like them on that front.

Maybe fearing war? Though I can see what you're trying to get at.

The cheap shots here are not welcome and should be reserved for BR. Mods, please take note of this post.

No.. Not war.. Because in case of war 400 km is not a large enough range given the kind of weaponary in play in this region. Its more around distance from a troubled area.

And what makes this a cheap shot. ?? Its factually what the customers ask for.

Talk about double standards... what kind of shot do you think the opening post of this thread is..??

Very interesting. There were widespread reports and several newspaper articles suggesting that western companies who had outsourced operations to the sub-continent were quite panicked by the last Pakistan-India military standoff. Some of the executives at these companies apparently asked the State Dept. to intervene also.

I guess the 400Km requirement is outdated. Initially, it may have served as an attempt to keep their delivery centers safe in case of a conflict. But the reality is that if a conflict were to break out no city in either country would be safe. I would assume the textile industry in Faisalabad would be on the target list, and as per statements from retired Pakistan Army officers, I would similarly assume that IT centers in India would be eliminated. Even if they are more than 400Km away.

The best approach for large western companies who do have operations in the sub continent is to help - directly and indirectly - promote a solution to the Pakistan-India dispute so that real stability is restored in the region. Companies like GE have done this in the past and more should join the cause...

I dont think its fearing Indo Pak war.. Since this has been there since before 26/11. And as you are rightly saying, 400 km is nothing in terms or the range of missiles and fighter jets today..

Its more linked to the travel advisory that most western nations have for travel to Pakistan. Automatically, the BC Plans factor in proximity to a troubled spot into the location decisioning process.

Agree to the last statement on what such companies should do. Would be interested to know any specifics about GE that you mentioned.

is 15k Initial salary Low for a person who has just passed 10th std?? I dont thinks So:disagree:

What 15K for 10th std? Indian college grads are lining up for coolie jobs in the Indian Rail system.

Sanap and Kudalkar are among the 1,311 applicants — many of them graduates with additional professional qualifications — vying for 79 jobs that don’t guarantee them any income every day. The applicants have to go through a stringent process before being sent for the final selection.

After finishing a 1,500-metre run in seven minutes, the applicants are sent for a medical screening. ‘‘Half of the applicants turn up for the medical tests and only those who pass that test are eligible for the post,’’ Central Railway PRO Anil K Singh said.

The long list of applications coming from graduates doesn’t come as a surprise to the railways. ‘‘Many of these porters don’t even stick to the rates specified by the union and end up raking in extra money. Moreover, they also get promotions on a regular basis,’’ Singh said. Former railway minister Lalu Prasad had introduced a scheme through which porters could be promoted as railway gangmen. ‘‘Once they get hired as a porter, they can look forward to the job of a gangman. This is the main attraction for all the applicants,’’ added Singh.

Graduates line up to be coolies - India - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom