What's new

Premier Wen calls for political reform

What are mainlanders view on Jiang Zemin? Personally he gives me bad vibes but I don't live in China so would be intersted to know your opinions.

20080428235947.gif

:rofl:

I don't think Wen can do reform indeed to change something in China.
He is not a wise policy-maker and look the policy of increasing salary of the teacher, now the salary of the retired primary school teacher is more than the professor in university., Funny.

What kind of "international school" did you go to kiddo? From where did you learn to "take the Lord's name in vain"? Are the Jesuits and the nuns no longer running schools in HK?

Tsk, tsk ...

LOL, you think that "Nuns" run the International schools in HK? :rofl:

You're a funny guy, I'll give you that!

Well premier Wen is probably one of the most politically liberal premiers in PRC history (checkout his involvement in the June 4th incident, still surprised that he managed to climb so high). He seems to cater to the general population a lot, like many of the Western politicians that we see. Overall, however, I think that he leans more towards the practical end of the political spectrum and has done a decent policy making job.

I am interested in who will succeed Hu and Wen once their terms expire. While we hear a lot about Xi Jing Ping being Hu's successor there really hasn't been much speculation (or I am not up to date on the info) on who Wen's successor will be. There might be a chance that the Chinese government might become more "hardline" in the near future. I see a bit of parallel between the current situation and the early West Han period. During the reigns of Emperors Weng and Jing of the West Han Dynasty China built up her wealth and pursued a policy of appeasement with the Xiongnus. When the nation became sufficiently wealthy under the reign of Han Wu Di, however, China lashed out against the Xiongnu until most of them were driven to Europe. I wonder whether the upcoming government will take a similar stance against the intrusion of Chinese interests in the East and South China Seas.

If Xi Jinping gets presidency then I have little doubt Li Keqiang will get premiership. From what's circulating, Li was President Hu's preferred successor to his own job but was rejected by majority of the politburo. But even if Hu's unable to make Li the next president he and Wen sure have enough political capital to elevate Li to premiership.

Next government is going to be really interesting. It has been a while since we have president and premier belonging to different coalitions. Jiang Zemin and Zhu Rongji were both in the Shanghai Clique. Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao of course are both in the Youth League faction. If Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang get presidency and premiership respectively, we'll have a Princeling president and a Youth League premier!

As for a more hardline approach, I do not think that's particularly likely in intermediate future. Hu will still be the CMC chairman in the first 5 years and that's a major stabilizing force. The new leadership probably need to buy loyalty from the military though, so major increases in military spending should be expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Xi Jinping gets presidency then I have little doubt Li Keqiang will get premiership. From what's circulating, Li was President Hu's preferred successor to his own job but was rejected by majority of the politburo. But even if Hu's unable to make Li the next president he and Wen sure have enough political capital to elevate Li to premiership.

Next government is going to be really interesting. It has been a while since we have president and premier belonging to different coalitions. Jiang Zemin and Zhu Rongji were both in the Shanghai Clique. Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao of course are both in the Youth League faction. If Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang get presidency and premiership respectively, we'll have a Princeling president and a Youth League premier!

As for a more hardline approach, I do not think that's particularly likely in intermediate future. Hu will still be the CMC chairman in the first 5 years and that's a major stabilizing force. The new leadership probably need to buy loyalty from the military though, so major increases in military spending should be expected.
=======================================
nice analyse

The Sinica podcast has a new installment on Wen's remarks in Shenzhen.

Showdown in Shenzhen

A lot of good points were made, like how the leadership is basically paralyzed on a lot of issues (one panelist called it 'Hu's great do nothing presidency') like Hukou system which everyone from leaders to grassroots hate but no action has been taken to change it.

Another very good point they made is, it's not just the rich and powerful are resisting changes, the rising middle class like people in second tier cities who just bought their first modern apartments and got their first cars. They also don't want to rock the boat. And I agree with that, I often heard people how middle class will undermine the authoritarian system but my impression has always been the Chinese middle class by and large are pro-government. There's also talks how economic progression will bring political reform, but the development in China is uneven, the coastal area is more developed but rest of China isn't so there's hard to say when most of China is ready for more reform.

The panelists also listed what are the first things needed to be reformed, and they pretty said what I and many people here have said: freer press, judicial reform and county-level democracy.

Back
Top Bottom