What's new

Pre-1971 Bangladeshi Settlers Are Indians: Meghalaya HC

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
In a historic judgement, the Meghalaya High Court has said that Bangladeshi nationals who have settled in the state before March 24, 1971 should be treated as Indians and that they be enrolled in the electoral rolls.

The judgement was based on a petition by over 40 refugees from Bangladesh, who were denied enrolment in the rolls by the district administration citing doubt over their citizenship.

These refugees hailing from Amjong village near the Assam-Meghalaya border in Meghalaya's Ri-Bhoi district moved the High Court after their citizenship certificates were seized by the deputy commissioner.

Justice S R Sen, in his May 15 order, directed the district Deputy Commissioner Pooja Pandey to return the seized certificates to the petitioners and enroll them in the voters' list before the next elections.

Justice Sen said there was an understanding between the two countries as to who should be allowed to stay and who should be deported back to Bangladesh.

"It is clearly understood that the forefathers of the petitioners entered India much before March 24, 1971. As such there is no question of deporting them at this stage when they have acquired the right of permanent rehabilitation in Amjong village," he said.

Ruling out that they are Bangladesh citizens, the court said there was no scope for their deportation and directed the state government and the centre to not disturb them and to properly rehabilitate them.

The state government had earlier argued that the petitioners and their forefathers were not permanent citizens.

Pre-1971 Bangladeshi Settlers Are Indians: Meghalaya HC

Every Bangladeshi has dual citizenship. One is official (Bangladeshi) and another one is unofficial (Indian). In abroad every Bangladeshi is called Indian. Bangladeshi owned restaurants, shops have Indian flag. Except when a Bangladeshi of Burmese race goes in abroad he is called a Burmese or Asian. 98% Bangladeshis are Indic people, 2% are Burmese people.

Every Bangladeshi has dual citizenship. One is official (Bangladeshi) and another one is unofficial (Indian). In abroad every Bangladeshi is called Indian. Bangladeshi owned restaurants, shops have Indian flag. Except when a Bangladeshi of Burmese race goes in abroad he is called a Burmese or Asian.Also 98% Bangladeshis are Indic people, 2% are Burmese people.

You may have pathan blood as well, in those days PA was either punjabi or pathan.

You may have pathan blood as well, in those days PA was either punjabi or pathan.

02c2b7e625895df8104053ea3b488e0b27c1930099b69af561fbe91075d00870.jpg

So was this ruling based on the naturalisation law or is there some special law for pre-1971 Bangladeshi refugees?
Indian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Make a special law for millions of Bangladeshis who have settled in India since you can't distinguish them to save your life.

Our NRBs (non resident B'Deshis) face a big dilemma in abroad also. Everytime they have to say 'I am Bangladeshi, not Indian and every time foreigners say , no, you are Indian. For them Indians and Bangladeshis are same thing. Pakistanis don't face this problem widely since not all Pakistanis are Indic. Only Punjabis and Sindhis are Indic people but almost all (98%) Bangladeshis are Indic people.

I’m Bangladeshi NOT Indian!
Posted on August 7, 2010

My boss always calls me an “Indian”. I correct him every time. “ Man, I’m not an Indian, I’m Bangladeshi”. He’s always like “Oh well, it’s the same thing”. No, it’s not the same thing, we have a country and we have our own identity. We fought in 1971 against Pakistan to get this identity. We are different from Indian, I correct him again.

Few days later he would be calling me an Indian again. He is American. I know not only Americans but the whole world knows us as “Indian”. Well, I mean most of them.

People know us as Indian? Why?

Ferenc •

I can understand your reaction, but you have to accept that most people have not the slightest knowledge about Bangladesh. Bangladesh was before 1947 part of India for over 2 thousands years! Of course Bangladesh properly said not India anymore, but its culture, language and almost everything is heavily influenced by the ancient Indian culture! India is older than Bangladesh. The Bengali language is related to Hindi and is descendants of ancient Indo-Aryan or old Sanskrit which was spoken by the ancient Indians! And because of this fact, Bangladesh is counted by most foreigners in the world to Indians! Anyway be proud to your nations and love your country, no matter what people says!

I’m Bangladeshi NOT Indian! | Junal On The Run

Last edited:
Every Bangladeshi has dual citizenship. One is official (Bangladeshi) and another one is unofficial (Indian). In abroad every Bangladeshi is called Indian. Bangladeshi owned restaurants, shops have Indian flag. Except when a Bangladeshi of Burmese race goes in abroad he is called a Burmese or Asian. 98% Bangladeshis are Indic people, 2% are Burmese people.

You talk a load of dogs bollocks. Since when did Bangladeshis put the Indian flag on their restaurants, yes they brand it as Indian cuisine (But that's also with Pakistanis and Indian business men) but that's just business tactics as it's universally known as 'Indian cuisine', they don't show the flag, the Bangladeshis here aren't Ghulami like you. Abroad no we aren't known as Indians. In the UK the English folk know very well who we are.

Which country do you live in, most Bangladeshis do not hold dual citizenship lmao, especially not an Indian one. When did Burmese get into this? Bomb marbar lagi ekh nombar.

Have some shame you beghairat.

Make a special law for millions of Bangladeshis who have settled in India since you can't distinguish them to save your life.

Our NRBs (non resident B'Deshis) face a big dilemma in abroad also. Everytime they have to say 'I am Bangladeshi, not Indian and every time foreigners say , no, you are Indian. For them Indians and Bangladeshis are same thing. Pakistanis don't face this problem widely since not all Pakistanis are Indic. Only Punjabis and Sindhis are Indic people but almost all (98%) Bangladeshis are Indic people.

I’m Bangladeshi NOT Indian!
Posted on August 7, 2010

My boss always calls me an “Indian”. I correct him every time. “ Man, I’m not an Indian, I’m Bangladeshi”. He’s always like “Oh well, it’s the same thing”. No, it’s not the same thing, we have a country and we have our own identity. We fought in 1971 against Pakistan to get this identity. We are different from Indian, I correct him again.

Few days later he would be calling me an Indian again. He is American. I know not only Americans but the whole world knows us as “Indian”. Well, I mean most of them.

People know us as Indian? Why?

Ferenc •

I can understand your reaction, but you have to accept that most people have not the slightest knowledge about Bangladesh. Bangladesh was before 1947 part of India for over 2 thousands years! Of course Bangladesh properly said not India anymore, but its culture, language and almost everything is heavily influenced by the ancient Indian culture! India is older than Bangladesh. The Bengali language is related to Hindi and is descendants of ancient Indo-Aryan or old Sanskrit which was spoken by the ancient Indians! And because of this fact, Bangladesh is counted by most foreigners in the world to Indians! Anyway be proud to your nations and love your country, no matter what people says!

I’m Bangladeshi NOT Indian! | Junal On The Run

Just to rub it in your face more. The Bangladeshis here are known to be Islamic extremists and the bulk followers of hate preacher Anjem Choudary are Bangladeshi. And just to let you know the bulk of British nationals going to Syria for so called 'terrorism' is mostly Bangladeshis. What does that tell you about our race. Stop identifying us with people who we do not share many commonalities with. And last of all, keep your propagandist spewing mouth closed.

Last edited:
Stop identifying us with people who we do not share many commonalities with. And last of all, keep your propagandist spewing mouth closed.

I don't care if you deny the fact but Bangladeshi and Indian are inseparable. You can't distinguish.

Bangladeshis and Indians together sang national anthem of both countries in your London. Get it.

I don't care if you deny the fact but Bangladeshi and Indian are inseparable. You can't distinguish.

Bangladeshis and Indians together sang national anthem of both countries in your London. Get it.

Altab Ali park is where the minority Bengali nationalists hang. Bengali nationalists have no place in London because the bulk and by bulk I mean 98.5% of the Sylheti Bangalin condemn this nirbachon rubbish, any sociological study will show you most Bangladeshi Muslims are conservative Muslims but you are trying too hard to change this outlook. It will never work as long as we are here and by we, 90% of the Bangladeshis worldwide.

Bangladeshi arr Indian mishe na, amra shoman bongsho nai. Stop trying so hard and let it go you Bollywood extremist, instead be proud of your forefathers who probably are spitting on your right now.

Yes one video great. The bulk of Bangladeshis in western countries are usually conservative Muslims who have no interest in this nastiq nirbachon rubbish. We are the owners of the largest Masjid in Europe and very reputable for our madrassas + western education. You are trying too hard to change the outlook of Bangladeshis. Stop being such a Bollywood extremist and accept the facts.

Infact there is never any community mixture with Bangladeshis and Indians because we are totally different communities.

Amra Bangalin arr Indian shoman nai, shoman bongsho nai.

Oi @IamBengali - Why not petition the Bangladeshi Government to make Bangladesh a state of India and be done with it once and for all; what was the point of '47 and '71 if you're going to be more Indian than the Indians themselves anyhow ?

This Iambengali fellow openly admitted he is in India currently so it is only natural he will beg Indians not to deport him.

Oi @IamBengali - Why not petition the Bangladeshi Government to make Bangladesh a state of India and be done with it once and for all; what was the point of '47 and '71 if you're going to be more Indian than the Indians themselves anyhow ?
Whats the point of 47 and 71...sometimes I wonder that as well....what was the whole point? Bengalis stood up against the idea of division of Bengal by Lord Curzon in 1905..He had drawn more or less the same lines..East Bengal and West Bengal..Its a pity, that it was a British Viceroy, but our own people, who turned that into reality..

Whats the point of 47 and 71...sometimes I wonder that as well....what was the whole point? Bengalis stood up against the idea of division of Bengal by Lord Curzon in 1905..He had drawn more or less the same lines..East Bengal and West Bengal..Its a pity, that it was a British Viceroy, but our own people, who turned that into reality..

The same point that was behind British India giving way to the Union of India - the People decided it as such !

And the Bengalis rose up again on the Reversal of the Partition of Bengal or at least the Muslims of Bengal did just as they welcomed its division in 1905 !

The same point that was behind British India giving way to the Union of India - the People decided it as such !

And the Bengalis rose up again on the Reversal of the Partition of Bengal or at least the Muslims of Bengal did just as they welcomed its division in 1905 !

haha..yes, I know that..You are of course, very much welcome to your own point of view, if what I think, is your point of view.On a personal level, I have never really found much logic in divisions on the basis of religion..thats a farce..For I don't think that is possible.Also, it is just plain and simple wrong to impose the idea of seclusion on the basis of religion, being imposed by a handful of people upon the mass....

aa gaye bin bulaye barati.....ye IND aur BD ka matter he

chalo bhago!!!

Back
Top Bottom