What's new

Poland launches first Kormoran II mine warfare vessel

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1630665_-_main.jpg

The Polish Navy's lead Kormoran II mine warfare vessel, seen here being launched on 4 September 2015. Source: Polish Ministry of Defence
Key Points
  • Poland launches lead vessel in new mine warfare class
  • The three Project 258 Kormoran II vessels will replace the Project 206FM ships
Poland has launched its first Project 258 Kormoran II mine warfare vessel.

The ship entered the water on 4 September. To be named ORP Kormoran (601), commissioning for the ship is planned for 30 November 2016. Upon commissioning, the vessel will be stationed in Gdynia, Poland, with the 13th Minesweeper Division, part of the 8th Coastal Defence Flotilla.

Poland's search for a new mine warfare vessel began in 1999 with initial work on the Project 257 Kormoran programme; however, the project was cancelled in 2002.

The programme was reactivated in 2007 as Kormoran II. Formal work got under way in July 2011. On 26 January 2013, the Remontowa Shipbuilding-led consortium was selected to deliver the programme. Contract signing followed on 23 September 2013. The three-ship contract is worth PLN1.2 billion (USD322 million). Build work on the first ship started in April 2014.

Kormoran II is designed by Remontowa Shipbuilding in co-operation with Centrum Techniki Morskiej (CTM), and is based on a non-magnetic steel hull.

The three vessels - Kormoran , ORP Albatros (602), and ORP Mewa (602) - will replace the 1960s-built Project 206FM mine warfare vessels ORP Czajka , ORP Flaming , and ORP Mewa (vessels that were upgraded in 1998-2001).

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(249 of 438 words)

Poland launches first Kormoran II mine warfare vessel - IHS Jane's 360

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom