What's new

PM to announce political reforms package for GB

Kabira

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
GILGIT: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif would announce political reforms for Gilgit-Baltistan during his scheduled visit to the region on Feb 6.

Talking to media persons in Skardu on Sunday, GBLA Speaker Fida Mohammad Nashad said the premier had formed a constitutional committee, last year, headed by his Adviser on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz to settle the constitutional status of the region.

He said after consultations with relevant institutions and GB representatives the committee had prepared a political reforms package and submitted it to the prime minister.

GB people would soon get good news about their future status, he promised.

Mr Nashad said GB people had been derived of constitutional rights for last six decades, adding they had has also had reservations about share in China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.

He said that the federal government had been urged to declare GB as its constitutional province as GB people wished to become part of Pakistan.

Replying a question, the GBLA speaker hinted that the PM would declare GB as the constitutional province.

When contacted, GB government spokesman Faizullah Faraq told Dawn that the PM was expected to announce a comprehensive political reforms package for GB people.

The premier is scheduled to chair the GB Council’s budget session in his capacity as its chairman, he said, adding the PM would also approve timber policy.

Mr Faraq said the PM was likely to declare GB as provisional province with administrative and legislative powers, adding under the package

Gilgit-Baltistan people would be represented in the National Assembly and Senate of Pakistan and other federal institutions like NFC.

Answering a question, the spokesman, however, said it was difficult to declare Gilgit-Baltistan as the constitutional province of Pakistan due to the Kashmir issue.

Published in Dawn, January 23rd, 2017
http://www.dawn.com/news/1310179/pm-to-announce-political-reforms-package-for-gb

Good news.
so basically nothing's going to happen.
Wrong, the federation cannot afford to keep ignoring the genuine demands of the people of GB, such ignorance leads to sense of deprivation. I do think that such reforms may happen, i'll have to see it to believe it. I think the constitution will put GB, AJK and IOK as parts of Pakistan, as it should. Let's wait and see.
@unleashed ,@shimshali

Its about time that GB is given its due recognition and all obstacles involved in the way of reforms be removed. Let GB run along like other provinces/areas are being represented and run by their very own people the way they want.

important that the genuine demands of the GB people be met and they be incorporated into Pakistan territory legally.

Wrong, the federation cannot afford to keep ignoring the genuine demands of the people of GB, such ignorance leads to sense of deprivation. I do think that such reforms may happen, i'll have to see it to believe it. I think the constitution will put GB, AJK and IOK as parts of Pakistan, as it should. Let's wait and see.
loool @ 'the federation cannot afford to keep ignoring the genuine demands of the people of GB'. when has the federation given a crap to the genuine demands of any of its subjects, living anywhere? they dont give a rats *** about GB, nor any other place (maybe a bit for punjab). look how we got bangladesh, what we got as mqm in karachi, bla in balochistan etc.
if there's one thing it's that as a federation we are still standing where we were in 1947 (or 71 take your pick).

The momentum at the moment seems to suggest an increasing integration of frontier territories with the centre. FATA is being merged into KPK, GB will be given provincial status (it seems). This is good news.

The momentum at the moment seems to suggest an increasing integration of frontier territories with the centre. FATA is being merged into KPK, GB will be given provincial status (it seems). This is good news.

I wonder whats in store for AJK?

I wonder whats in store for AJK?

Not too sure. There seems to be some weird separatist dash we still love Pakistan thing going on there. Think the main political parties there dont want any changes till IOK issue is resolved. They are at the same time dragging the people of GB down with them, just because they want full provincial rights immediately. Tricky situation but personally feel the people of GB have been through enough. They voluntarily joined their region with Pakistan and have been loyal to the core. Surely they deserve the same rights as the rest of us.

Meanwhile the people of the IOK blindly followed that fool sheikh abdullah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Abdullah). That decision has brought nothing but pain and misery to the valley. Why should the people of GB pay for the fault of others? When their moment of test came, the people of GB rose up and revolted against the Maharajah and India's plans. They fought for their freedom and joined Pakistan. The same cant be said for the people of the valley who were blinded by Abdullah. In turn the AJK government wants to tie the fate of the whole region to IOK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom